Jump to content

Contract renewals


The Kalamazoo Kid

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good to see as with the other 2 that we are tying players down early and more importantly that they actually want to stay for the right reasons.

Still anticipate a cull, Evans, Brisley, Browne, Cullen , Lloyd would all be possibles to depart in my humble opinion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, darren1810 said:

Good to see as with the other 2 that we are tying players down early and more importantly that they actually want to stay for the right reasons.

Still anticipate a cull, Evans, Brisley, Browne, Cullen , Lloyd would all be possibles to depart in my humble opinion.

I'd be surprised if Brisley isn't offered a contract. I suspect he will see what his options are as my guess is we are paying him a lot less than he's earned in the past. During the last couple of games he has been a very capable deputy for Smith. The others I suspect will move on, although Evans is probably quite cheap and his versatility is useful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Good to see as with the other 2 that we are tying players down early and more importantly that they actually want to stay for the right reasons.

Still anticipate a cull, Evans, Brisley, Browne, Cullen , Lloyd would all be possibles to depart in my humble opinion.

That would be a great cull. All of those guys could be improved upon easily. Cullen, I don’t know the context of his wages. If he is here cheap, another year may work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

That would be a great cull. All of those guys could be improved upon easily. Cullen, I don’t know the context of his wages. If he is here cheap, another year may work. 

I suspect Cullen is on a fair wedge... he has had a good career and had pedigree. My guess is that he won’t be renewed and that gives us a healthy slice to try and attract another decent striker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

That would be a great cull. All of those guys could be improved upon easily. Cullen, I don’t know the context of his wages. If he is here cheap, another year may work. 

The issue here is that you have to be able to “Easily” improve on them at the same budget... It’s too simple to say we can get a better player. It would need to be someone like Burgess, who, for the amount I assume we are playing him is a diamond find!

It also needs people not to moan their sacks off when Askey brings players in at that wage range. A few will work, we may get lucky (Burgess) but the majority will be squad players. 

In short... I look forward to people not shouting their mouths off at players we sign this summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is also the possibility that some of the out of contract players may wish to move on.  Someone like Cullen, for example, may want a guarantee of more first team football.  Who knows.

Also, I’m fairly sure that Smith said he’s waiting until summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

The issue here is that you have to be able to “Easily” improve on them at the same budget... It’s too simple to say we can get a better player. It would need to be someone like Burgess, who, for the amount I assume we are playing him is a diamond find!

It also needs people not to moan their sacks off when Askey brings players in at that wage range. A few will work, we may get lucky (Burgess) but the majority will be squad players. 

In short... I look forward to people not shouting their mouths off at players we sign this summer.

Agree entirely. If it was possible to bring in better players at lower wages Morecombe could be top of the league. It's not a perfect correlation but most of the teams in the top 7 have the bigger budgets. The exceptions give hope to the rest. While we don't know for sure who gets paid what I think it's pretty clear Legge is on a lot more than, say, Evans. The more you pay the first 11 the lower the quality of the players coming in as cover for injuries. If money wasn't a factor we could easily bring in better players than the whole of our squad but this is the real world.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, boslemportvale91 said:

Bumped into James Gibbons earlier this week, nice lad and said he definitely wants to stay.

I have a horrible feeling we may lose Smith in the summer

I meet a fair few footballers in my job and according to the ones I have spoken to Smith wants to stay. Obviously the deal has to be right but the desire to stay is there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Askey says he wants 5/6 contract renewals.

Assume thats; Smith, Gibbons, Monty, Amoo, Legge and one more.

Brisley? Cullen?

Those 5 you would think he'd be happy to hold on to regardless of what league we finish in. There may be one or two he'll make offers to at the end of the season once he knows his budget.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, JRC said:

Those 5 you would think he'd be happy to hold on to regardless of what league we finish in. There may be one or two he'll make offers to at the end of the season once he knows his budget.

If we get all 5 I'll be ecstatic.

4, losing Smith, is still a good return and gives us a good group of players to build on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WV said:

I meet a fair few footballers in my job and according to the ones I have spoken to Smith wants to stay. Obviously the deal has to be right but the desire to stay is there. 

The problem is if clubs from higher up or even in our league are offering a lot more than us, there’s nothing we can do about that if it’s outside our wage structure and can’t match it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...