Sign in to follow this  
Fosse69

Cobridge Ground Actual Location

More or less between Vale Park and the Old Rec was the Cobridge Ground. Later to become an Athletic Ground, and Greyhound Racing Track.

In use as the home of the Vale between 1885 and 1912. Close to Cobridge Lights in Waterloo Road, by the exit from Festival Park.

. Cobridge20200203_202709.thumb.jpg.8006ded718d115dc729a6fa2bd066567.jpg 

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

More or less between Vale Park and the Old Rec was the Cobridge Ground. Later to become an Athletic Ground, and Greyhound Racing Track.

In use as the home of the Vale between 1885 and 1912. Close to Cobridge Lights in Waterloo Road, by the exit from Festival Park.

. Cobridge20200203_202709.thumb.jpg.8006ded718d115dc729a6fa2bd066567.jpg 

We used to have our school sports day there, we had to walk there from Grove school in Northwood, can’t see that happening today.

• Like 1

Just now, TheSage said:

I remember taking part in Stoke schools' sports day there many moons ago. About 50 years hence I think it would have been.

Probably about that time when I went.

On 03/02/2020 at 22:21, TheSage said:

I remember taking part in Stoke schools' sports day there many moons ago. About 50 years hence I think it would have been.

A lot of people will remember it as Cobridge Dog Track.  There were school athletics meetings, where numerous schools would compete in track and field events, even in the late 70’s.

At this period in time you entered via the narrow lane opposite Remer St.  The stadium itself was obscured from Waterloo Road by either a high fence or large bill boards, can’t remember which. It was pretty ramshackle, with several rusting stands of corrugated sheeting, above shallow raked concrete terracing from memory.  I seem to think that, looking at the map, there was more of a brick built affair on the northern, Barrett Crescent/Drive side.  This isn’t gospel tho’, as my memory is <ovf censored>.

Edited by Guitar Ray
Edit

On 04/02/2020 at 22:45, Guitar Ray said:

There were school athletics meetings, where numerous schools would compete in track and field events, even in the late 70’s.

That’s right Ray.

I remember running there about ‘74  whilst representing Newcastle Schools. I don’t recall where the other teams were from, but I do recall feeling like David Emery when running in what I considered a proper stadium.

But on reflection as you say it was a ramshackle place ! 

I went to the Cobridge ground a few times in the 80s to watch Stoke Spitfires play.  I was into American Football for a bit in my early teens.  There was a brick building on the North side but I cant remember much else.  I presume it went when they did the Festival Park.

Talking about things that have gone I also remember going to Stock Car Racing at Crewe.  The stadium was where the TK Max and the other shops are on that estate by the railway line.  Was a great track and the Kids in the mini stocks were incredible.

13 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

Talking about things that have gone I also remember going to Stock Car Racing at Crewe.  The stadium was where the TK Max and the other shops are on that estate by the railway line. 

Also home to Crewe Kings Speedway where I was first introduced to the sport in ‘72. Monday nights (except when Vale were playing) would never have been the same without the smell of ethanol and face full of shale ! Parka’s with the hood didn’t half come in handy on that 1st/2nd turn ! 

14 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

I’ve a rough it idea, but conditions must have been quite heavy.

🤿

A bridge too far,even for Speedy.

On 04/02/2020 at 22:45, Guitar Ray said:

A lot of people will remember it as Cobridge Dog Track.  There were school athletics meetings, where numerous schools would compete in track and field events, even in the late 70’s.

At this period in time you entered via the narrow lane opposite Remer St.  The stadium itself was obscured from Waterloo Road by either a high fence or large bill boards, can’t remember which. It was pretty ramshackle, with several rusting stands of corrugated sheeting, above shallow raked concrete terracing from memory.  I seem to think that, looking at the map, there was more of a brick built affair on the northern, Barrett Crescent/Drive side.  This isn’t gospel tho’, as my memory is <ovf censored>.

found this photo of the greyhound stadium very ramshackle stadium, now the care home0_greyhound-old.thumb.png.3303d71e4d8dfbf5053872e191597878.png

2 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Also home to Crewe Kings Speedway where I was first introduced to the sport in ‘72. Monday nights (except when Vale were playing) would never have been the same without the smell of ethanol and face full of shale ! Parka’s with the hood didn’t half come in handy on that 1st/2nd turn ! 

what about sun street hanley, thousands used to go ethstoke-speedway-team-1961.jpg.18109e85c0faf988d942e15525ec4e28.jpganol and helen shapiro!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, geoff1 said:

found this photo of the greyhound stadium very ramshackle stadium, now the care home0_greyhound-old.thumb.png.3303d71e4d8dfbf5053872e191597878.png

I used to work for Provincial Racing, ( the fore runner of bet365).  We used to run a book at Cobridge greyhounds. One year our Auditors decided they wanted to observe the operation up there, so I made the necessary arrangments with "our man" who ran it.  Off the auditor went, comes to me the next morning carrying a bag of cash. The dosy b####r had only left it in the Auditors car at the end of the night!  " Good security you've got" says our Auditor sarcastically. Oops.

As a St Joseph’s old boy (about 20% of the boys came from Crewe), my finest sporting moment came at Cobridge when I won the school 800m in 1976 (when I was 12). I went off too fast but just about got over the line before the chasing pack caught me.

And I used to go to see the Crewe Kings speedway too on a Monday night, that was a real assault on the senses! Sadly the team only lasted six seasons (1969-1975 I think) but the track was very fast and dangerous. Later used for stock cars but now gone, just like Cobridge.

On 27/02/2020 at 13:03, Loggerheads Sage said:

I used to work for Provincial Racing, ( the fore runner of bet365).  We used to run a book at Cobridge greyhounds. One year our Auditors decided they wanted to observe the operation up there, so I made the necessary arrangments with "our man" who ran it.  Off the auditor went, comes to me the next morning carrying a bag of cash. The dosy b####r had only left it in the Auditors car at the end of the night!  " Good security you've got" says our Auditor sarcastically. Oops.

Dave Halliday,Paul Rolnik,Big Alan Glover(RIP).