Iron Curtain

Carol speaks again...../Calls out the Moaners

27 minutes ago, Santa said:

Can’t really understand what the debate is here. 

The ground has been a building site for over 20 years, and as soon as somebody suggests finishing it off, people have a go. 

I think we need to close the book on it personally. It symbolises a lot of struggles, from the Rudge sacking onwards, that we never managed to recover from properly. That is until now hopefully.

In my view its the perfect symbol of the New Era.

Fans, who have been through the wringer, funding the completion of a stand which has become a saga, ending 20 years of turmoil and poor ownership and kickstarting an ambitious Port Vale that wants to get back into being a well-respected team in this country. Not Port Vale, perpetually in financial trouble with an unfinished stand and low standards.

Alas, you'll always find the dissenting few. In my opinion, if the majority are for it, we should go fot it.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 3

I’d rather the money went on the team at this stage, so it would have to raised from an outside investor. It’ll cost money to operate it on match days and how many would use the area.? I used to hate it when I got promoted managing In championships manager and the board increased the ground capacity.

6 minutes ago, Joe B said:

We may not fill it now, but if we've got ambition we've got to be looking to have a fully-equipped family stand. It completes the main stand of the ground, is a show of ambition, completes one of the best grounds in the lower leagues, and provides long-term extra revenue streams for the club.

Its the same with the ticketing system; we probably don't need a loyalty scheme right now, but as an employee of the club told me, "everything is being done to make sure we're ready for Championship football". We don't want to arrive as a tinpot lower league club with outdated ticket systems and unfinished grounds, just happy to be there with the big boys; we want to arrive as a team who feel they belong there and intend on competing, as we did in our heyday.

Should we leave the Lorne Street as a building site forever? Just because we have an empty, unfinished ground now doesn't mean we have to settle for that forever. Let's have a bit of ambition and self-belief.

Joe, I agree with you there are lots of things we need to do as a club,which lets face it needs to built from the bottom up. I'm all for the SC raising money for the club to show the Shanahan's we are right behind them. I just feel but 100K donation (assuming the money is raised) could be a lot better used by the club.

Don't get me wrong I would like to see the stand finally finished, in particular that end of the Lorne Street  - its where I used to watch in the early 80's, so it would be very nostalgic for me and bring back happy memories of people who are no longer here. I just think at this moment in time we have greater priorities as football club.

By the time we are in the Championship all of the colour in the seats would have faded and will look a bit shabby.

24 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

It is for a family area with special facilities that we do not have elsewhere, not a waste of money in that respect.

Can we not do that within our existing facilities without spending that kind of money? I think we can.

42 minutes ago, MBE said:

I've replied to SC and I'm against the fund raising idea. Waste of supporters money and the clubs for that matter.100k for another stand we will never fill.

Not against SC raising money for the club at all.... but not for this.

Come on, how can you possibly say it’s a waste?  OK, you may prefer the money to be spent elsewhere but it’s still money well spent.  Lorne Street needs finishing after all these years, it’s beyond a joke.  I assume that you’d like to see it finished at some point in your lifetime, I certainly would, so why not now?  The issue is being forced by the Robbie gig anyway so we may as well do all we can as fans to help the club.

There are some good ideas on this thread, let’s all get on board and strive to make something happen.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Alright lads, give it up; someone's played Championship Manager and another is worried the seats will fade (the seats will already be in, we're talking about a concourse).

We're debating finishing off a stand that has been an embarassment to us for years, and a visible symbol of the club's neglect and mismanagement, which would allow us to have a designated area to attract and house the young supporters the club is in dire need in, and complete one of the best old grounds in the lower leagues but, shockingly, some Vale fans aren't happy.

It would appear that, given this is a very narrow sample size of the Vale fanbase and the concept is already encountering oppostion, that there will be sufficient opposition to make it a difficult task. Add in internal issues on the SC committee, and is it all worth the hassle?

Alright. We'll leave it. Thought it was a good idea.

Edited by Joe B

17 minutes ago, MBE said:

Can we not do that within our existing facilities without spending that kind of money? I think we can.

Where else in the ground do we have a concourse available?

5 hours ago, Joe B said:

The Supporters Club should definitely lead something and try and get some local businesses (Autonet, M Club, KMF) who have sponsored us before if they want to chip in for some heavy advertising benefits upon completion.

Maybe there could be a tiered reward system;

Anything up to £20 is just for people who wish to donate to the club.

£20 - name on a seat

£50 - Name on a wall of honour inside the concourse  + name on seat (?)

£100 - Meet the players/day at training/tour of the ground/plus other benefits

North of £100 you'd look at matchday tickets, maybe one of those commemorative shirts with all the names we had a few seasons ago,  invite to the opening ceremony of the ground, and everything else.

With a fanbase now regularly topping 5,000 I think with enough coordination, planning, and promoting we could make a good dent into the £100,000 total. You'd need all of those 5,000 to donate £20, or half to donate an average of £40.

It'd need to be a professionally organised effort with a dedicated small group of organisers who promote it, keep track of finances, and come up with initiatives to raise money. In the age of social media we've never had so much access to so many Vale fans worldwide, and it would be a brilliant way for us fans to contribute meaningfully to the club we've been unable to help for 2 decades, and a good gesture of gratitude to the faith and work of our owners.

With the right planning and vision it could be done, and then named in honour of the supporters.

Whatever the financial mix Joe, and given the Supporters Club is able to anchor the 'Project, I'm in...

My motto: Let's get it done - for Carol, for Port Vale, for Us 😎

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Alright lads, give it up; someone's played Championship Manager and another is worried the seats will fade (the seats will already be in, we're talking about a concourse).

We're debating finishing off a stand that has been an embarassment to us for years, and a visible symbol of the club's neglect and mismanagement, which would allow us to have a designated area to attract and house the young supporters the club is in dire need in, and complete one of the best old grounds in the lower leagues but, shockingly, some Vale fans aren't happy.

It would appear that, given this is a very narrow sample size of the Vale fanbase and the concept is already encountering oppostion, that there will be sufficient opposition to make it a difficult task. Add in internal issues on the SC committee, and is it all worth the hassle?

Alright. We'll leave it. Thought it was a good idea.

Luckily in Carol we have someone with ambition who understands what is needed to attract more fans.

• Like 1

Do we have to have it seated or is there a possibility we could have it for standing, I know it’ll cost money to do this so see what is the best option.

I don’t know the answer to this question so if anyone does please let me know. I thought that charlatan owns the ground and C&K are in the process of buying it off him, over a number of years. If this is correct can we make any changes without his permission.?

Next month will be the 22nd anniversary of the first work done on the Lorne Street Stand.  Since then we have had 7 chairmen, 17 managers and God knows how many players.  For heaven's sake let's just GET LORNE STREET DONE.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Joe B said:

We're debating finishing off a stand that has been an embarassment to us for years, and a visible symbol of the club's neglect and mismanagement, which would allow us to have a designated area to attract and house the young supporters the club is in dire need in, and complete one of the best old grounds in the lower leagues 

☝️ This. 100% bang on the money 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Next month will be the 22nd anniversary of the first work done on the Lorne Street Stand.  Since then we have had 7 chairmen, 17 managers and God knows how many players.  For heaven's sake let's just GET LORNE STREET DONE.

Make that 8 chairmen - I forgot Fradley!!

8 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

Do we have to have it seated or is there a possibility we could have it for standing, I know it’ll cost money to do this so see what is the best option.

I don’t know the answer to this question so if anyone does please let me know. I thought that charlatan owns the ground and C&K are in the process of buying it off him, over a number of years. If this is correct can we make any changes without his permission.?

Seating is the only option, the area is not flat so standing is not allowed. The decision has already been made, the debate is about the concourse

9 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Seating is the only option, the area is not flat so standing is not allowed. The decision has already been made, the debate is about the concourse

Not strictly true, it could be made “safe standing”, and I’d have been all for this, but, given the stated desire to make it a family area, this is clearly a no go.

Edited by Guitar Ray
Typo

For those that have said it shouldn't be done as the money should go somewhere else. That isnt the option, it's just do you wan't the Supporters club to raise money to complete Lorne Street. If you say no, then it just means there won't be any money raised by the Supporters club and it will be done by fans without the Supporters club organising.

So I cannot see why anybody would be against.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Guitar Ray said:

Not strictly true, it could made “safe standing”, and I’d have been all for this, but, given the stated desire to make it family area, this is clearly a no go.

We would not get permission to make it  "safe standing" in time, Shrews are running a trial, in any case far more expensive than basic plastic seating.

There's some odd people in the world. I feel like sometimes people have to have a difference of opinion to make them feel better about themselves and to make them feel important. I can understand to some extent about spending in other areas, but the player budget is completely separate and it's never just a one off payment, it's an ongoing wage, signing fee, agent fee, medical fees that can go on and on for as long as the player is at the club.

Finishing Lorne Street is a one off fee. It's been a blight on us for years and it can't be attractive to investors, potential players, sponsors etc. Who wants to be associated with a club that has had an unfinished stadium for 20 years?

There's no debate to be had in my view, £100,000 is easily achievable with the right attitude. Let's see what the majority is amongst ALL supporters, not just the perceived or self recognised elite.

• Like 2