onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The old rec hanley actual location?

Yellowskies88

Advert

9 hours ago, points-with-bone said:

n 1963 a young sculptor called David Wynne was commissioned to create a piece of public art for the John Lewis's building in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent. His 35 foot sculpture, "Man Of Fire", was inspired by the heavy industry around the Potteries, and the "great fires which dominate the life of the Potteries".

The Man of Fire appeared in 1964, just as the country said goodbye to an Eton educated Prime Minister, the Earl of Stockton, and elected a Labour government lead by Harold Wilson. The figure became know as the Spiky Man, and provoked fear and wonder in the children of Stoke-on-Trent.

Anyway, a gentleman called Matt Churchill [whom I don't know] from Kidsgrove recorded an album in 2014 called 'Wrath of the Spiky Man'

The statue is made of anodised aluminium. It is 35 feet high and 28 feet wide, it weighs 1.25 tons.

The inscription on it is:

"Fire is at the root of all things both visible and invisible"

I don't live locally, so I don't know if it's still there. Someone told me it is still there on the Debenhams building

Points-with-Bone

Yep still there and has been since 1963, except for a few months in 2003 when he went to Redditch for a refurb. We used to call him Jack Frost.

7 hours ago, geosname said:

Off the top of my head.....

Angel, grapes, sea lion, gold cup, lamb, bulls head..... there are more

The sea lion was the first local pub I went in.

cant remember the Lamb.

there was the Bee hive and electric bar on Huntbach st, the prince of Wales feathers on the corner of Hillchurch st and Garth st, the Golden cup is still there and I think the Bulls head, although I was barred from there.

7 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Munroes and the George & Dragon creep in the corner of the map, on Goodson St, off Huntbach , that disappeared when Woolworths etc were extended.

Should have remembered the George and Dragon, my dad used to keep his shire horse in stables there.

On 18/02/2020 at 15:24, RailwayRowdy said:

Whilst looking these figures up on wikipaedia I just looked at our glorious 53/4 season. According to them, Vale’s change strip (obviously days before away strips) that season was, wait for it, red & white stripes ! Can anyone confirm that this is correct ?

Vale in red & white stripes ? Sends a shiver down my back.

💊💊

10E91E49-5FD3-44C7-9C0D-DCA95853A472.png

8 hours ago, geoff1 said:

sealion-ansells squirrel pee good bands on a Friday night-hutch-Gerry grant-toby jug-soul agency good old days, pie, a few pints then a good scrap.  

The Sea Lion - the only pub in Hanley where they kept the Christmas decorations up all year round. When they were pulling the old place down prior to the building of the Potteries Centre I went for a look; even with the bar in ruins the decorations were still there. 

10 hours ago, geoff1 said:

sealion-ansells squirrel pee good bands on a Friday night-hutch-Gerry grant-toby jug-soul agency good old days, pie, a few pints then a good scrap.  

Gerry Grant was the greatest ever Roy Orbison tribute who made the likes of Barry Steele sound second rate. 

Archived