onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The old rec hanley actual location?

Yellowskies88

Advert

5 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

Whilst looking these figures up on wikipaedia I just looked at our glorious 53/4 season. According to them, Vale’s change strip (obviously days before away strips) that season was, wait for it, red & white stripes ! Can anyone confirm that this is correct ?

If it is indeed right, what in God’s name were we doing playing in a Prize Bully kit ?

Strange my memories of change strip in those days, I thought we played in blue with white knickers. But the Southport away cup programme shows red stripes, Chester away the previous season shows red shirts but I crossed it out but cannot read my amendment. 

6 hours ago, toyahw said:

Used to scare the <ovf censored> out of me as a kid did Jack. We always rereferred to the car park as "Vale car park". Was it  just us, as Mum had been the Old Rec many times as a lass?

We always referred to the car park as the Vale Car Park when we parked there to go to the Place, I always thought that's what it was generally known as. As a number of posters have said, the crush barriers/stantions were still there along the touchline furthest away from Bryan Street.

5 hours ago, ramsgate valiant said:

I used to work at Swift House in Bryan St,Hanley & then moved to Newcastle (on A34) with them.

In the 70's there was an upmarket clothes shop called "Apparel" which sold fine Italian Men's clothes on the left on Bryan St.as you walked to the Place. I spent far too much money in that shop.

12 hours ago, Jinksy said:

Thought I would just say lived in Hillchurch St. til I got married. Went to Broom street School and spent many long hours on the old rec and around Bryan St. Happy days. Also caught the loopline  from Hanley

I remember a  jinksy from Hillchurch street, I went Broom st school also.

27 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Strange my memories of change strip in those days, I thought we played in blue with white knickers. But the Southport away cup programme shows red stripes, Chester away the previous season shows red shirts but I crossed it out but cannot read my amendment. 

Slightly off topic, but I think we did play in red and white stripes as our second strip in 53. We lost away to Gateshead in September when they played in their home colours of white shirts and black shorts and the Vale I think played in red and white stripes. I'm sure I've heard Albert Leake say that he played in red and white occasionally. If I could just find some of my old programmes.....

54 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Slightly off topic, but I think we did play in red and white stripes as our second strip in 53. We lost away to Gateshead in September when they played in their home colours of white shirts and black shorts and the Vale I think played in red and white stripes. I'm sure I've heard Albert Leake say that he played in red and white occasionally. If I could just find some of my old programmes.....

I suppose Askey could ask his Dad.

n 1963 a young sculptor called David Wynne was commissioned to create a piece of public art for the John Lewis's building in Hanley, Stoke-on-Trent. His 35 foot sculpture, "Man Of Fire", was inspired by the heavy industry around the Potteries, and the "great fires which dominate the life of the Potteries".

The Man of Fire appeared in 1964, just as the country said goodbye to an Eton educated Prime Minister, the Earl of Stockton, and elected a Labour government lead by Harold Wilson. The figure became know as the Spiky Man, and provoked fear and wonder in the children of Stoke-on-Trent.

Anyway, a gentleman called Matt Churchill [whom I don't know] from Kidsgrove recorded an album in 2014 called 'Wrath of the Spiky Man'

The statue is made of anodised aluminium. It is 35 feet high and 28 feet wide, it weighs 1.25 tons.

The inscription on it is:

"Fire is at the root of all things both visible and invisible"

I don't live locally, so I don't know if it's still there. Someone told me it is still there on the Debenhams building

Points-with-Bone

34 minutes ago, geosname said:

Off the top of my head.....

Angel, grapes, sea lion, gold cup, lamb, bulls head..... there are more

The Sea Lion had a juke box that accepted only 3d bits as late as the late 70’s, long after the coin  had been taken out of circulation. You gave the barmaid a decimal coin and got the equivalent in “nuggets” to put in the juke box ! 

On 11/02/2020 at 08:00, Conrad said:

That’s right RR it was later called the Gaiety it was a Bikers pub, been in there many times.

Me too, although went more to the Black Horse, just down the road. Len, the landlord, used to fix the table football machine so you could play for free. Became quite good eventually, lol.  Went a trip with the BH to see Pink Floyd at Knebworth, couldn't find the bliddy coach afterwards, eventually did, received a lot of  "advice" from the older guys on boarding.  Happy days.  BH pub gone now, although the Black Horse Lane still exists.

2 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

The Sea Lion had a juke box that accepted only 3d bits as late as the late 70’s, long after the coin  had been taken out of circulation. You gave the barmaid a decimal coin and got the equivalent in “nuggets” to put in the juke box ! 

I can't remember being in there sober enough to find a juke box.... I've been told I misspent my youth..... I don't know because I can't remember much of it.

Archived