Sign in to follow this  
Yellowskies88

The old rec hanley actual location?

It is where the Potteries Centre car park is now. I can remember parking there in the 70's when you could still see a little of the terracing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Yellowskies88 said:

Hi. New to the forum but would just like to know where abouts the old rec was actually located? Where was the half way line etc?

Thanks in advance 

Sorry to hear your granddad has crossed over.

Went to The Old Recreation ground a few times as a lad. Later, when I was 18 and learning to drive through the BSM, we used the car park for skid test practice.

I remember when Quadrant Road was built it cut through part of the old St. John's church yard and they put up huge hoardings to stop anyone getting a view of the bodies being disinterred. I believe they were reburied but I don't know where.

It was behind st Johns church where the potteries shopping centre is now. Used to play on there as a kid and had my first driving lesson  on there.m

Swan Passage was between the side stand and the churchyard, the Main stand opposite was in Bryan St, a continuation of Stafford St OldRecBryanStHanley.thumb.jpg.9cb89cb895cde788e94eda5c09c997e1.jpg

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

Swan Passage was between the side stand and the churchyard, the Main stand opposite was in Bryan St, a continuation of Stafford St OldRecBryanStHanley.thumb.jpg.9cb89cb895cde788e94eda5c09c997e1.jpg

The street where I was born is on that map.

2 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

I was born off that map, but have drunk in a pub on that map😀

I can think, off the top of my head, 6 pubs on that map.

If the half-way line can be tracked to the car park behind the Potteries Centre, then it should be possible using modern technology, to plot it's actual siting

Then it might be an idea to paint the centre circle on the tarmac, or have some kind of decorative plaque

Then we could pick an 'anniversary day', say for example the date of the club's formation, and similar to what folk do with the chalk figures carved into hills, encourage a fertility myth that couples copulating on said plaque will be blessed with child

Might get the new supporters figures up

Dogging with a purpose?

Points-with-Bone

• Haha 1

in 70's if stood on Stafford Street (At the junction with Hope St) and looked at Lewis's store main entrance the old Rec ground was on the left of Lewis's store. As I remember it going left there was Lewis's store, a minor road, some waste land, another minor  road then the Old Vale Rec Ground which by the early 70's had been turned into a tarmac pay as you stay surface Car Park,  there was still terracing on the side away from Bryan St.

Used to park on the car park when going to The Place on Bryan St in the 70's, a hot dog/burger van used to park on the wasteland between the car park and Lewis's Store. Have no idea what the area looks like now, I believe The Place has been knocked down.