Fosse69

Match Thread: Northampton Town v Port Vale

Wonder who the guy Clark came over hugging, possibly his dad ?

He's fitted in like he's been here all season and has given JA an enormous ( and welcome) selection problem. 

First Montano and now Amoo were unavailable, really interesting what we go with when all are fit

Pope did well when he came on but its worth remembering he has 1 in his last 17 league games, that being a penalty. And let's not blame that on the formation; the formation has done wonders for us.

Maybe that's why he isn't starting. In my view the sub was perfectly timed yesterday. He had a few nice lay offs and helped us up the pitch.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Yes it was mate , pretty much back row to the right of the goal as you looked at the pitch. Yes when he needed treatment she was willing it to be serious enough for him to go off immediately. Sad really . 

This is a bridge too far in my eyes, and someone should tell her to wind her neck in.  I’ve told fans who sit near me in the past.  It doesn’t always go down well but hey ho.

I thought Bennett played well in the last home game but struggled yesterday.  The dilemma for Arthur is that Pope offers more generally as the lone striker but nowhere near enough mobility.  Yesterday’s game, against a tall direct team, in blustery conditions, was made for Pope however.

He’s shot himself, and possibly the team, in the foot with the Twitter issue.  Whether this is a factor in him not being selected, who knows.

• Like 2

I do wonder why JA continually chooses to select Bennett ahead of Pope when it is clear as day that Popey is far more effective.
  I didn't go to the game yesterday but on the radio I continually heard comments like' Bennet has been penalised for pulling his opponents shirt' and 'Poor control by Bennett'. I'm not a Bennett hater and would never abuse the bloke during a game but it is simply that Pope is a far better and proven front man. Playing as an isolated one up front striker when good control and the ability to hold on to the ball is vital shows that Richie Bennett isn't the man for the job.
 If the manager is so concerned about Pope's ability to last the full game (though heaven knows why that should be the case as I haven't ever seen him blowing like a 'dray horse' because of a lack of fitness) why does he not start with the more effective player and replace him if he runs out of steam?
 To me we are starting too many games at a disadvantage by starting with Bennett when Popey is fit.

Think it’s more to do with JA being unhappy with Pope off the pitch

43 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Pope did well when he came on but its worth remembering he has 1 in his last 17 league games, that being a penalty. And let's not blame that on the formation; the formation has done wonders for us.

Maybe that's why he isn't starting. In my view the sub was perfectly timed yesterday. He had a few nice lay offs and helped us up the pitch.

Joe,I think. you posted some other stats recently.Maybe the Bennett haters should peruse over this.

When Starting in League 2.

Bennett.W 8 D 4 L5 Points 28.Points per game 1.65 .46 games would get us 76 points.

Pope .W 3 D 8 L2 .Points 17. Points per game 1.30 46 games would get us 60 points.

Cullen.W 1 D 1 L 1.Points 4..Points per game 1.33 46 games would get us 61 points.

Very occasionally they have played together.I wonder why JA picks the team he does?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

Joe,I think. you posted some other stats recently.Maybe the Bennett haters should peruse over this.

Bennett.W 8 D 4 L5 Points 28.Points per game 1.65 .46 games would get us 76 points.

Pope .W 3 D 8 L2 .Points 17. Points per game 1.30 46 games would get us 60 points.

Cullen.W 1 D 1 L 1.Points 4..Points per game 1.33 46 games would get us 61 points.

Very occasionally they have played together.I wonder why JA picks the team he does?

Good post

Bennett offers more mobility. Askey likes his central forward to cover a lot of ground and start the high press. Bennett is better at this than Pope.

Pope is better at holding the ball.

Pope has 8 goals and 2 assists according to the BBC website.

Bennett has 6 goals and 3 assists.

The stats above show the results when they both start.

Im sure if he could combine the two and create a super striker he would... but that lad would be playing in a higher league.

Fact if they both offer something to the team.

The other unfortunate fact is Vale fans love a whipping boy... you could see them desperately searching for one earlier in the season. Amoo, Gibbons, Brisley, Montano and evening Worrall have flirted with the wrath of Burslem. 

Bennett is inconsistent. Was he behind the pace yesterday... yes. Were we playing a well drilled team who have a fantastic home record... yes.

Does he deserve any abuse... no.

Will he get it because some of our fans have issues... yes.

Are those fans intelligent enough to realise yelling abuse doesn’t help Benno, the team or the club... absolutely not 

• Like 3

It seems to be working reasonably well to keep changing the forward from match to match, and to substitute them.

I have no qualms with the rotation of the strikers as Askey has done in recent weeks. If the team wins I genuinely don't care who is starting.

It would seem Archer is either injured/out of favour at Stockport as he isn't making any appearances.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Good post

Bennett offers more mobility. Askey likes his central forward to cover a lot of ground and start the high press. Bennett is better at this than Pope.

Pope is better at holding the ball.

Pope has 8 goals and 2 assists according to the BBC website.

Bennett has 6 goals and 3 assists.

The stats above show the results when they both start.

Im sure if he could combine the two and create a super striker he would... but that lad would be playing in a higher league.

Fact if they both offer something to the team.

The other unfortunate fact is Vale fans love a whipping boy... you could see them desperately searching for one earlier in the season. Amoo, Gibbons, Brisley, Montano and evening Worrall have flirted with the wrath of Burslem. 

Bennett is inconsistent. Was he behind the pace yesterday... yes. Were we playing a well drilled team who have a fantastic home record... yes.

Does he deserve any abuse... no.

Will he get it because some of our fans have issues... yes.

Are those fans intelligent enough to realise yelling abuse doesn’t help Benno, the team or the club... absolutely not 

Bennett 6 League goals including 1 pen.

Pope 4 League goals including 2 pens.

Bennett at home for me,Pope away.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

Bennett 6 League goals including 1 pen.

Pope 4 League goals including 2 pens.

Bennett at home for me,Pope away.

That’s perhaps a bit to simplistic. Askey has to look at the opposition rather than just whether we’re home or away.  The high press works against teams who play out from the back, as is the trend these days, it’s no use against a team who just want to go long.

Our tactics were good yesterday in that the midfielders sat a bit deeper to try to win the second balls plus we always had numbers in our box when defending set pieces.

• Like 2

Swindon play Northampton on Tuesday. If we beat FGR and Swindon win leaves us 1 pt behind Northampton and another play off place.

Looking ahead, Cheltenham and Northampton play each other in a game in hand over us,  a draw would suit us.

I thought the team picked yesterday had a particularly good mix of running power and resilience. Bennett adds a lot of mobility. I'm afraid we can't sign Firmino from Liverpool who is the best target man player I have ever seen. He has some sort of magical superglue on his chest and feet. 

Edited by Warren

Players who have a league 1 skill set. Cullen yes. Pope yes. Bennett no.

Worry about league 1 when we get there

Off piste and nowt to do with us, but I saw Oldham took nearly 1,300 to Crewe yesterday which struck me as quite a decent following. Any reason for this??

No doubt about it yesterday was a fantastic win. You can see why they are near the top because they just batter sides, it’s not pretty at all but it’s effective. In fact it’s horrible to watch. We needed some very good defending and some luck to keep them out and we did just that. The back 4 were immense, and when called upon Brown dealt well with any shots they got on target.  I thought Pope made a massive difference when he came on, holding the ball and bringing others into play and buying us a bit more time when the ball got played up top. Bennet is time and aagain proving that he does not seem want it enough up enough or is not able to put himself about effectively IMO. 

There’s some interesting selection problems coming up now. Smith is fit but Brisley is playing well. Gibbo and Clark are IMO potentially the best full back pairing the league, but Gibbos ban will mean Monty goes to full back again, giving either Amoo or Browne a shot at playing on the wing again. Plus we’ve got Manny and Taylor on the way back but Conlon and Burgess aren’t doing badly at all. 

Edited by PV1973

7 hours ago, Howjy04 said:

I made this point on the Best striker thread.  For me it is not who is best it who fits the system best.  For me that is Bennett, with Pope adding quality from the bench - as yesterday.  Only Port Vale fans can be disappointed with a tremendous away victory, because their favourite didn’t start!

Both have had good games, both have had stinkers.  Popes are always put down to playing the wrong system / the poor delivery / lack of support / opposition defenders getting away with murder.  None of these excuses are afforded to Bennett.

As I have said before if we build our game around a fading soon to be 35 year old who rarely looks like scoring (bar penalties or perfect crosses) we will not progress out of this league.

for the record , Tom has been by far the better striker, but in 2020 and with the current 433 system that is reliant on mobility he does not offer enough.  I also believe an upgrade on Bennett will be high on JA’s agenda in the summer.

Edited by Bald Eagle
  • Like 2

Pope still has a role  to play and still offers the impact game change option,  but seriously, for all those "Pope should still be the main striker" merchants,what would their reaction to John Askey be if we hadn't got Pope and he said that he intended to sign a player who's going to be 35 next  birthday, and wants him to be the main striker?  Kinda ridiculous isn't it?

People have got to move on from this Pope must start e every game mentally  and start to look beyond the past. 

It's not rocket science to see that Pooe is technically than Bennett, but please stop ranting on about the myth that we are more effective as a team when Pope starts. FACT, over the course of the season, a one off Cheltenham game apart,  we are not.

If fans are happy to see us playing in a way that negates midfield and in doing so stifle the abilities of the ever influential Burgess and Taylor, then Popes your man, because he's the best player by a mile to hoof the ball to, with the ever optimistic hope that one of those numerous flick ons just might occasionally pay off. 

For me, give me a more adventurous style of moving the ball around any day, but yes, we do need better front men for next season,  than we currently have at our disposal. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Old fort said:

Pope still has a role  to play and still offers the impact game change option,  but seriously, for all those "Pope should still be the main striker" merchants,what would their reaction to John Askey be if we hadn't got Pope and he said that he intended to sign a player who's going to be 35 next  birthday, and wants him to be the main striker?  Kinda ridiculous isn't it?

People have got to move on from this Pope must start e every game mentally  and start to look beyond the past. 

It's not rocket science to see that Pooe is technically than Bennett, but please stop ranting on about the myth that we are more effective as a team when Pope starts. FACT, over the course of the season, a one off Cheltenham game apart,  we are not.

If fans are happy to see us playing in a way that negates midfield and in doing so stifle the abilities of the ever influential Burgess and Taylor, then Popes your man, because he's the best player by a mile to hoof the ball to, with the ever optimistic hope that one of those numerous flick ons just might occasionally pay off. 

For me, give me a more adventurous style of moving the ball around any day, but yes, we do need better front men for next season,  than we currently have at our disposal. 

38 year old Glen Murray at Brighton?

• Haha 1