onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Northampton Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

1 hour ago, Birches Head Fred said:

If it's the 'lady' who was stood at the rear of the stand then I know what you mean.
Admittedly Bennett was poor but she was awful, even to the point of hoping he was seriously injured when he went down in the first half.
I know she goes a lot of away games (she could for all I know go them all) and she's entitled to her opinion but it really was way over the top.
I wonder how she had reacted at the recent home game when Bennett notched 2 goals.
I will admit that Pope coming on allowed us to move up the pitch and was probably the reason we got the goal but to castigate Bennett as she was doing was in my view disgraceful, especially as assuming Pope is up for another ban then Bennett will be our main striker for a couple of games at least.
As for Northampton, I'm glad I don't have to watch that every week.
Well done Vale, a cracking hard caught victory.

Yes it was mate , pretty much back row to the right of the goal as you looked at the pitch. Yes when he needed treatment she was willing it to be serious enough for him to go off immediately. Sad really . 

There is no doubt that once Pope came on we had a few nice triangles and Monty came to the fore. 

Still doesn't alter the fact that it was out of order despite Pope having a positive impact. 

Advert

4 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Yes it was mate , pretty much back row to the right of the goal as you looked at the pitch. Yes when he needed treatment she was willing it to be serious enough for him to go off immediately. Sad really . 

There is no doubt that once Pope came on we had a few nice triangles and Monty came to the fore. 

Still doesn't alter the fact that it was out of order despite Pope having a positive impact. 

I had a similar experience with a family at the Mansfield away game, who spent an hour abusing Amoo.

Some right specimens in our fanbase.

16 minutes ago, old sage said:

I do wonder why JA continually chooses to select Bennett ahead of Pope when it is clear as day that Popey is far more effective.

I didn't go to the game yesterday but on the radio I continually heard comments like' Bennet has been penalised for pulling his opponents shirt' and 'Poor control by Bennett'. I'm not a Bennett hater and would never abuse the bloke during a game but it is simply that Pope is a far better and proven front man. Playing as an isolated one up front striker when good control and the ability to hold on to the ball is vital shows that Richie Bennett isn't the man for the job.

If the manager is so concerned about Pope's ability to last the full game (though heaven knows why that should be the case as I haven't ever seen him blowing like a 'dray horse' because of a lack of fitness) why does he not start with the more effective player and replace him if he runs out of steam?

To me we are starting too many games at a disadvantage by starting with Bennett when Popey is fit.

The Northampton commentators remarked how in most games their centrehalf,Goode, goes down ,as if been shot,with the faintest touch.They can’t believe how he gets away with it.

Wonder who the guy Clark came over hugging, possibly his dad ?

He's fitted in like he's been here all season and has given JA an enormous ( and welcome) selection problem. 

First Montano and now Amoo were unavailable, really interesting what we go with when all are fit

Pope did well when he came on but its worth remembering he has 1 in his last 17 league games, that being a penalty. And let's not blame that on the formation; the formation has done wonders for us.

Maybe that's why he isn't starting. In my view the sub was perfectly timed yesterday. He had a few nice lay offs and helped us up the pitch.

3 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

This is a bridge too far in my eyes, and someone should tell her to wind her neck in.  I’ve told fans who sit near me in the past.  It doesn’t always go down well but hey ho.

I thought Bennett played well in the last home game but struggled yesterday.  The dilemma for Arthur is that Pope offers more generally as the lone striker but nowhere near enough mobility.  Yesterday’s game, against a tall direct team, in blustery conditions, was made for Pope however.

He’s shot himself, and possibly the team, in the foot with the Twitter issue.  Whether this is a factor in him not being selected, who knows.

I do wonder why JA continually chooses to select Bennett ahead of Pope when it is clear as day that Popey is far more effective.
  I didn't go to the game yesterday but on the radio I continually heard comments like' Bennet has been penalised for pulling his opponents shirt' and 'Poor control by Bennett'. I'm not a Bennett hater and would never abuse the bloke during a game but it is simply that Pope is a far better and proven front man. Playing as an isolated one up front striker when good control and the ability to hold on to the ball is vital shows that Richie Bennett isn't the man for the job.
 If the manager is so concerned about Pope's ability to last the full game (though heaven knows why that should be the case as I haven't ever seen him blowing like a 'dray horse' because of a lack of fitness) why does he not start with the more effective player and replace him if he runs out of steam?
 To me we are starting too many games at a disadvantage by starting with Bennett when Popey is fit.

Think it’s more to do with JA being unhappy with Pope off the pitch

43 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Pope did well when he came on but its worth remembering he has 1 in his last 17 league games, that being a penalty. And let's not blame that on the formation; the formation has done wonders for us.

Maybe that's why he isn't starting. In my view the sub was perfectly timed yesterday. He had a few nice lay offs and helped us up the pitch.

Joe,I think. you posted some other stats recently.Maybe the Bennett haters should peruse over this.

When Starting in League 2.

Bennett.W 8 D 4 L5 Points 28.Points per game 1.65 .46 games would get us 76 points.

Pope .W 3 D 8 L2 .Points 17. Points per game 1.30 46 games would get us 60 points.

Cullen.W 1 D 1 L 1.Points 4..Points per game 1.33 46 games would get us 61 points.

Very occasionally they have played together.I wonder why JA picks the team he does?

28 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

Joe,I think. you posted some other stats recently.Maybe the Bennett haters should peruse over this.

When Starting in League 2.

Bennett.W 8 D 4 L5 Points 28.Points per game 1.65 .46 games would get us 76 points.

Pope .W 3 D 8 L2 .Points 17. Points per game 1.30 46 games would get us 60 points.

Cullen.W 1 D 1 L 1.Points 4..Points per game 1.33 46 games would get us 61 points.

Very occasionally they have played together.I wonder why JA picks the team he does?

Good post

Bennett offers more mobility. Askey likes his central forward to cover a lot of ground and start the high press. Bennett is better at this than Pope.

Pope is better at holding the ball.

Pope has 8 goals and 2 assists according to the BBC website.

Bennett has 6 goals and 3 assists.

The stats above show the results when they both start.

Im sure if he could combine the two and create a super striker he would... but that lad would be playing in a higher league.

Fact if they both offer something to the team.

The other unfortunate fact is Vale fans love a whipping boy... you could see them desperately searching for one earlier in the season. Amoo, Gibbons, Brisley, Montano and evening Worrall have flirted with the wrath of Burslem. 

Bennett is inconsistent. Was he behind the pace yesterday... yes. Were we playing a well drilled team who have a fantastic home record... yes.

Does he deserve any abuse... no.

Will he get it because some of our fans have issues... yes.

Are those fans intelligent enough to realise yelling abuse doesn’t help Benno, the team or the club... absolutely not 

It seems to be working reasonably well to keep changing the forward from match to match, and to substitute them.

I have no qualms with the rotation of the strikers as Askey has done in recent weeks. If the team wins I genuinely don't care who is starting.

It would seem Archer is either injured/out of favour at Stockport as he isn't making any appearances.

9 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Good post

Bennett offers more mobility. Askey likes his central forward to cover a lot of ground and start the high press. Bennett is better at this than Pope.

Pope is better at holding the ball.

Pope has 8 goals and 2 assists according to the BBC website.

Bennett has 6 goals and 3 assists.

The stats above show the results when they both start.

Im sure if he could combine the two and create a super striker he would... but that lad would be playing in a higher league.

Fact if they both offer something to the team.

The other unfortunate fact is Vale fans love a whipping boy... you could see them desperately searching for one earlier in the season. Amoo, Gibbons, Brisley, Montano and evening Worrall have flirted with the wrath of Burslem. 

Bennett is inconsistent. Was he behind the pace yesterday... yes. Were we playing a well drilled team who have a fantastic home record... yes.

Does he deserve any abuse... no.

Will he get it because some of our fans have issues... yes.

Are those fans intelligent enough to realise yelling abuse doesn’t help Benno, the team or the club... absolutely not 

Bennett 6 League goals including 1 pen.

Pope 4 League goals including 2 pens.

Bennett at home for me,Pope away.

12 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

Bennett 6 League goals including 1 pen.

Pope 4 League goals including 2 pens.

Bennett at home for me,Pope away.

That’s perhaps a bit to simplistic. Askey has to look at the opposition rather than just whether we’re home or away.  The high press works against teams who play out from the back, as is the trend these days, it’s no use against a team who just want to go long.

Our tactics were good yesterday in that the midfielders sat a bit deeper to try to win the second balls plus we always had numbers in our box when defending set pieces.

I thought the team picked yesterday had a particularly good mix of running power and resilience. Bennett adds a lot of mobility. I'm afraid we can't sign Firmino from Liverpool who is the best target man player I have ever seen. He has some sort of magical superglue on his chest and feet. 

Archived