Jump to content

Beyond Brexit - A new dawn? A leap of faith?


Aussie Rules
 Share

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Was that before or after he banned some journalists from a No 10 press briefing and the rest walked out in solidarity??

I don't know, but this was at Grenwich, and he said "this morning" to them... anyway if the media are mis-quoting him, then why not bar them, we have to have a free press, but it as to report the truth. not be politically biased, In trumps case where he has a go at most of the us media, quoting fake news reporting, they should not attend any white house briefings, that would teach him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Davebrad said:

I don't know, but this was at Grenwich, and he said "this morning" to them... anyway if the media are mis-quoting him, then why not bar them, we have to have a free press, but it as to report the truth. not be politically biased, In trumps case where he has a go at most of the us media, quoting fake news reporting, they should not attend any white house briefings, that would teach him.

Where has the media misquoted him?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Davebrad said:

isn't that the thinking behind H2 to connect with a modern rail link the northern power house and London and the south...but with consultations, compulsory purchases, removing swampy and his family, its taking time. One thing about the rising costs for it, when it went out to tender a price was accepted and the contract given, so why if the prices go up do the govt. have to pay for it? surely the contractor should pay he priced the tender...

I assume a guess was made about 10 years ago and as the project is firmed up, and problems like ground conditions are found the costs go up, how many tenders have been let I don't know. One story is that £20 billion for insurance was overlooked to cover 30 years of unforeseen problems resulting in damage claims. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a time when politicians were dependant upon journalists,  so to kick them out would be unthinkable, but than again there was a time when journalists reported the news...... I suspect in the very near future journalists in the old sense of the word will become totally irrelevant as social media grows.

As for kicking them out..... that's his prerogative..... if the others walked out that's their prerogative..... both may or may not suffer any consequences of their choices.

Freedome of the press doesn't entitle them to be anywhere they want..... private property and private events can exclude them or eject them after being invited..... although the police often get very " creative " when citizens are exercising their right in a public place to photograph.... breach of the peace, terrorism threat, public disturbance etc etc pace comes in handy..... although it's the same law that allows video surveilance in the streets by the authorities that covers private citizens no arrests, prosecutions or detentions are threatened against the authorities .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, geosname said:

There was a time when politicians were dependant upon journalists,  so to kick them out would be unthinkable, but than again there was a time when journalists reported the news...... I suspect in the very near future journalists in the old sense of the word will become totally irrelevant as social media grows.

As for kicking them out..... that's his prerogative..... if the others walked out that's their prerogative..... both may or may not suffer any consequences of their choices.

Freedome of the press doesn't entitle them to be anywhere they want..... private property and private events can exclude them or eject them after being invited..... although the police often get very " creative " when citizens are exercising their right in a public place to photograph.... breach of the peace, terrorism threat, public disturbance etc etc pace comes in handy..... although it's the same law that allows video surveilance in the streets by the authorities that covers private citizens no arrests, prosecutions or detentions are threatened against the authorities .

I  contacted the Assoc. of Chief Police Officers asking about photography in a public place  of surroundings, the public and police personnel, and they replied "members of the public and media do not need a permit to film or photograph in public places and have no power to stop them filming or photographing incidents or police personnel.

The power to stop and search someone under section 44 of the Terrorism Act, no longer exists, but under Section 43 of the Terrorism Act, they have the power to stop and search people who they reasonably suspect to be a terrorists, they can view digital images also film, but they cannot delete or destroy film unless they have a court order...

Edited by Davebrad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Where has the media misquoted him?

ok perhaps the wrong word, and as I have not the time to trawl posts and news items I concede that, but the BBC are biased, plus a number of papers labour backed...

 

10 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Good to know, Dave.  Thanks.

but and its a big but, don't try taking a photo of the police presents at Vale park that could well be a step to far...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Davebrad said:

I  contacted the Assoc. of Chief Police Officers asking about photography in a public place  of surroundings, the public and police personnel, and they replied "members of the public and media do not need a permit to film or photograph in public places and have no power to stop them filming or photographing incidents or police personnel.

The power to stop and search someone under section 44 of the Terrorism Act, no longer exists, but under Section 43 of the Terrorism Act, they have the power to stop and search people who they reasonably suspect to be a terrorists, they can view digital images also film, but they cannot delete or destroy film unless they have a court order...

A memo was sent to all police forces regarding the above after a photographer was arrested and it was widely reported.

Since then there have been several arrests, detentions, stop and searches by the informed police officers..... who really don't give a rat's ass about that particular law.... who seem to think they have the legal right to detain individuals who take photos in public because another member of the public states they have privacy in public, or they simply don't like it..... including other police officers, security guards who think it's against the law to take photos of a business from a public standpoint, and business owners who don't like people photographing their building from the pavement/footpath.

It seems to trigger the police when they have no legal control and law abiding citizens refuse to comply with illegal commands..... well let's be honest they have the back up to cover their transgressions.... police investigating police with ex police reviewing the results.

I would suggest you search P.I.N.A.C. (photography is not a crime) and review the footage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Davebrad said:

 

 

but and its a big but, don't try taking a photo of the police presents at Vale park that could well be a step to far...

Only if you are on private property.... from a public area it's quite legal.... although they won't like it and will often " create" an incident to curtail it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, geosname said:

Only if you are on private property.... from a public area it's quite legal.... although they won't like it and will often " create" an incident to curtail it.

I think "if it can be seen with the human eye then it can be photographed" also "there is no expectation of privacy in a public place" but as you say for some reason police don't like being photographed, or dare I say it could be evidence...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Davebrad said:

ok perhaps the wrong word, and as I have not the time to trawl posts and news items I concede that, but the BBC are biased, plus a number of papers labour backed...

The BBC are criticised for bias by the Tories and the Labour Party (remember the Andrew Neil Corbyn interview) so they must be doing something right. Also, none of their news programmes yesterday reported that Laura Kuensberg was one of the journalists who walked out in solidarity with those who had been barred from No 10. 

The only newspapers with significant readership that support Labour are the Mirror and the Guardian.  By comparison the Sun, Express, Mail and Telegraph are all pro Tory.  The Times makes an effort at evenhandedness but many of its editorials are pro government.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On 05/02/2020 at 19:28, Regal Beagle said:

It's weird then if the bbc buys 40%+ of all physical guardian copies sold isnt it?

I just looked that up. You're wrong.

Guardian circulation for 2019 = 141,600

40% of that is 56,640. Straight away it seems incredible to think the BBC is buying 56k copies of The Guardian everyday.

A further google points to the probable source. A Guido Fawkes article stating that The BBC 59,829 copies between April 1 2010 and 28 February 2011.

I think you've confused 1 day and 10 months.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Dont let facts get in the way.

The figures from the FOI show that there wasn't much in it between it and other papers, plus I'm pretty sure The Guardian used to do a media supplement which might go someway to explaining it's popularity in a media organisation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, hillmanhunter said:

The figures from the FOI show that there wasn't much in it between it and other papers, plus I'm pretty sure The Guardian used to do a media supplement which might go someway to explaining it's popularity in a media organisation.

Not unusual for story gatherers to read other sources, lots of stories appear in the Guardian and Independent newspapers that don't appear in their more numerous competitors. For the BBC a means of balance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, hillmanhunter said:

The figures from the FOI show that there wasn't much in it between it and other papers, plus I'm pretty sure The Guardian used to do a media supplement which might go someway to explaining it's popularity in a media organisation.

Indeed, if you add together the copies of the Telegraph, Mail and Sun which the BBC buy they far outweigh the Guardian. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, hillmanhunter said:

I just looked that up. You're wrong.

Guardian circulation for 2019 = 141,600

40% of that is 56,640. Straight away it seems incredible to think the BBC is buying 56k copies of The Guardian everyday.

A further google points to the probable source. A Guido Fawkes article stating that The BBC 59,829 copies between April 1 2010 and 28 February 2011.

I think you've confused 1 day and 10 months.

 

Fair enough, I got that figure wrong.

 

It's still way over represented by pretty much every metric though which is the overall point I was trying to make.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...