Beyond Brexit - A new dawn? A leap of faith?

Aussie Rules

Advert:

13 hours ago, philpvfc said:

We perform better than the EU and have advanced more than EU as we used to be one of the highest polluters in Europe. Germany is still one of the worst polluters and little old Luxembourg, center piece of the EU are the worst polluters per capita.

12 hours ago, hillmanhunter said:

Our switch to clean energy is truly something to be proud of.

Guys, You are mixing up two different topics, pollution and renewable energy.

One of the major reasons the UK has reduced it's emission of GHG's is because it is no longer a major manufacturing country compared to the likes of Germany. Also it now suffers the ignominity of importing electricity from France thus "Offshoring" some of it's GHG emissions.

Germany is one of the world leaders in embracing renewable energy to produce electricty/energy.

https://www.smart-energy.com/renewable-energy/top-ten-countries-with-the-highest-proportion-of-renewable-energy/

Luxembourg is not a manufacturing country. The trouble is with Germany it still uses so much coal and still mines it in the masses, they may have nearly 20% renewable energy, it’s the other 80% that is the problem plus they do like to drive around in big gas guzzlers having more cars on the road than any other European country.

Posted (edited)

Energy is still the largest contribution to Germany’s greenhouse gas emissions.

Compared to Britains which has transport as the biggest contributor and a similar percentage coming from business.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/1051408/2020-final-greenhouse-gas-emissions-statistical-release.pdf

Edited by philpvfc

On 28/06/2022 at 08:13, hillmanhunter said:

1. If there are provisions to remove people then it's not, as in your words, unlimited.

2. Ok, maybe we can sign some great trade deals, better than ones negotiated by an enormous trading bloc. Give me a nudge when it happens.

1. You've deliberately misinterpreted my use of "unlimited" then. I know why you've done it but seen as I never once argued that there is a potential for unlimited numbers of people to come with no rights for their removal then I won't go any further into that topic. It would be worth you reading up on the rights afforded to member states in terms of removing EU nationals though, they're really very narrow and explicitly say they can only be interpreted in a way which upholds the value of free movement of people. So like next to zero. 

2. Circle back to a (not even) school yard understanding of negotiation. There is in fact nothing stopping us from negotiating a trade deal which is better than one that the EU can negotiate. As I've said multiple times over the years, size of population/economy is an advantage but that is it. But we also have advantages now that EU member states do not have so that works both ways. 

Furthermore you'd have to compare the trade deals in terms of the benefits they give to the UK rather than the benefits they give to the EU as a whole. That's the argument here that you desperately don't want to acknowledge. The EU has to negotiate for 27 different countries with different wants desires and needs. What's good for Romania might not be of consequence to Sweden and in fact might well disadvantage Sweden if it cripples one of their industries in the process by flooding the eu with cheap imported substitutes.

It can only be a benefit to give someone else the authority to negotiate on our behalf without the option of being able to opt out or protect our interests if the net position of all of the negotiations was so good AND that we'd have no alternative way of achieving a similar net position ourselves.

"the eu is bigger lol" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there.

Advert:

On 01/07/2022 at 07:46, hillmanhunter said:

I think you're worrying about nothing. Bright minds are working on this.

e.g.

"The Morocco-UK power project is an integrated power generation, storage and transmission project proposed to be developed by Xlinks, a UK-based energy start-up focused on supplying low-cost wind and solar power from Morocco to the UK.

The project is planned to be developed without subsidy from the UK Government. It will connect the UK National Grid to renewable power generated in Morocco, through 3,800km of high-voltage direct current (HVDC) subsea cables.

The interconnector project will leverage high solar irradiance in south Morocco along with the North African country’s consistent convection desert winds to support the UK’s power needs when domestic renewable energy generation dips due to climatic conditions, such as slow winds.

Morocco-UK power project make-up

The power generation facility, comprising a solar and wind farm, will be developed on an area of 1,500km² in the Guelmim Oued Noun region of Morocco.

The combined facility will generate 10.5GW of energy, of which 3.6GW is planned to be transmitted to the UK to meet up to 8% of its electricity demand."

Very interesting

21 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Luxembourg is not a manufacturing country. The trouble is with Germany it still uses so much coal and still mines it in the masses, they may have nearly 20% renewable energy, it’s the other 80% that is the problem plus they do like to drive around in big gas guzzlers having more cars on the road than any other European country.

Who said Luxembourg was a manufacturing country, I certainly didn't.

Germany rushed to renewable (Wind and Solar) energy and away from fossil fuels on the back of the strong Green Political movement in Germany (Remember Petra Kelly). It appears that the current energy policy/production cannot meet the country's needs and part of that is likely that wind and solar are not sufficiently reliable.

Hence it now has to import natural gas from Russia to avoid power outages as are other European countries resulting in the possibility of being held to ransom by the Russians. At the moment Germany has decided to go back to coal to ensure it has enough reliable energy to meet it's demands.

Posted (edited)
On 01/07/2022 at 02:46, hillmanhunter said:

I think you're worrying about nothing. Bright minds are working on this.

e.g.

"The Morocco-UK power project is an integrated power generation, storage and transmission project proposed to be developed by Xlinks, a UK-based energy start-up focused on supplying low-cost wind and solar power from Morocco to the UK.

The project is planned to be developed without subsidy from the UK Government. It will connect the UK National Grid to renewable power generated in Morocco, through 3,800km of high-voltage direct current (HVDC) subsea cables.

The interconnector project will leverage high solar irradiance in south Morocco along with the North African country’s consistent convection desert winds to support the UK’s power needs when domestic renewable energy generation dips due to climatic conditions, such as slow winds.

Morocco-UK power project make-up

The power generation facility, comprising a solar and wind farm, will be developed on an area of 1,500km² in the Guelmim Oued Noun region of Morocco.

The combined facility will generate 10.5GW of energy, of which 3.6GW is planned to be transmitted to the UK to meet up to 8% of its electricity demand."

Not worried about anything.

What you post backs up my point that in a country with a climate like Britain wind and solar are just not reliable enough to form the backbone of the power grid at the moment, hopefully it will improve in time.

Edited by Paul6754

1 hour ago, Regal Beagle said:

But is it sensible for Britain and what happens when the sand from the Sahara winds cover the solar panels!!!!

Better to build nuclear power stations in the UK now and be self sufficient in energy, eliminates any possibility of being held to ransom.

Advert:

1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:

Who said Luxembourg was a manufacturing country, I certainly didn't.

Germany rushed to renewable (Wind and Solar) energy and away from fossil fuels on the back of the strong Green Political movement in Germany (Remember Petra Kelly). It appears that the current energy policy/production cannot meet the country's needs and part of that is likely that wind and solar are not sufficiently reliable.

Hence it now has to import natural gas from Russia to avoid power outages as are other European countries resulting in the possibility of being held to ransom by the Russians. At the moment Germany has decided to go back to coal to ensure it has enough reliable energy to meet it's demands.

Germany never left coal

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/10/23/germany-coal-climate-cop26/

Germany continues to mine coal massively, and is still opening new mines

I quoted Luxembourg as they are Europes largest polluter per population and no manufacturing as this was the reason you gave to German6 being a large polluter. 

20 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

But is it sensible for Britain and what happens when the sand from the Sahara winds cover the solar panels!!!!

Better to build nuclear power stations in the UK now and be self sufficient in energy, eliminates any possibility of being held to ransom.

If being self sufficient is a major concern are you not worried about sourcing uranium?

1 hour ago, hillmanhunter said:

If being self sufficient is a major concern are you not worried about sourcing uranium?

Obtaining any source of energy for the UK is potentially problematic but the USA, Canada and Australia all have huge resources of Uranium and other radioactive metals/elements.

21 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Germany never left coal

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/10/23/germany-coal-climate-cop26/

Germany continues to mine coal massively, and is still opening new mines

I quoted Luxembourg as they are Europes largest polluter per population and no manufacturing as this was the reason you gave to German6 being a large polluter. 

Phil, Germany had moved away from coal but it is opening/considering going back to coal given the potential problem with Russia holding back natural gas supplies and the unreliability of renewables, wind and solar.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/15102020/germany-coal-transition/

https://www.propublica.org/article/what-germanys-effort-to-leave-coal-behind-can-teach-the-us

I have never said or mentioned Germany being a "large polluter" and never would, I posted Germany had embraced renewable energy. 

Carbon Dioxide is not a pollutant, it is essential for life on earth.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Phil, Germany had moved away from coal but it is opening/considering going back to coal given the potential problem with Russia holding back natural gas supplies and the unreliability of renewables, wind and solar.

https://insideclimatenews.org/news/15102020/germany-coal-transition/

https://www.propublica.org/article/what-germanys-effort-to-leave-coal-behind-can-teach-the-us

I have never said or mentioned Germany being a "large polluter" and never would, I posted Germany had embraced renewable energy. 

Carbon Dioxide is not a pollutant, it is essential for life on earth.

Germany has not moved away from coal!

read your attachments, In 2020, Germany signed a coal exit plan. This has not been implemented yet and is something they intend to work on over time. Coal mines are still operative in Germany and new mines have opened since 2020.

Edited by philpvfc

Advert:

2 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Germany has not moved away from coal!

read your attachments, In 2020, Germany signed a coal exit plan. This has not been implemented yet and is something they intend to work on over time. Coal mines are still operative in Germany and new mines have opened since 2020.

Phil we'll have to beg to differ.

Coal is the second-largest source of electricity in Germany. As of 2020, around 24% of the electricity in the country is generated from coal.[15] This was down from 2013, when coal made up about 45% of Germany's electricity production (19% from hard coal and 26% from lignite).

https://strom-report.de/germany-power-generation-2020/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_in_Germany#:~:text=Coal is the second-largest,and 26% from lignite).

11 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Phil we'll have to beg to differ.

Coal is the second-largest source of electricity in Germany. As of 2020, around 24% of the electricity in the country is generated from coal.[15] This was down from 2013, when coal made up about 45% of Germany's electricity production (19% from hard coal and 26% from lignite).

https://strom-report.de/germany-power-generation-2020/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_in_Germany#:~:text=Coal is the second-largest,and 26% from lignite).

I’m not arguing that it’s reduced and they are heading in the right direction. My point is that they and most of the EU countries are lagging behind the U.K. as ourselves and Sweden, who have always been environmentally conscious lead the way.