Beyond Brexit - A new dawn? A leap of faith?

Aussie Rules

8 minutes ago, WV said:

Telling his furloughed workers via video message that the supermarkets were hiring and telling his staff that furlough pay would be slow and to hang in there, after turning over hundreds of millions in profit previously...for one.

The reports that the papers said regarding supermarkets turned out to be untrue and they have since apologised, so anyone who makes millions is a scumbag?

1 minute ago, philpvfc said:

The reports that the papers said regarding supermarkets turned out to be untrue and they have since apologised, so anyone who makes millions is a scumbag?

You do love to put words into my mouth. No, because I said one guy was a scumbag doesn't mean that I think every millionaire is a scumbag

1 minute ago, jimbo57 said:

Maybe so, but didn't Spurs and Liverpool FC amongst many others, do the same?

Many large multi million pound companies furloughed their staff, at the end of the day Wetherspoons were forced to close unlike some other companies who still furloughed their staff to increase profits. Their were other companies who encouraged furloughed staff to help out with essential jobs like supermarket working so why aren’t they scumbags? Oh yes…..they didn’t speak out about the EU.

Just now, WV said:

You do love to put words into my mouth. No, because I said one guy was a scumbag doesn't mean that I think every millionaire is a scumbag

But I still don’t know why you think he is a scumbag, your first reason is untrue and your second reason you didn’t mean it?.

3 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

But I still don’t know why you think he is a scumbag, your first reason is untrue and your second reason you didn’t mean it?.

You love assumptions. We are talking about Wetherspoons not other companies. I haven't seen anywhere where it says the video message didn't happen. 43000 staff it went out to. 

I never said I didn't mean it. 

I said it wasn't because he was a millionaire,  I have no problem with wealth creation. I do have issues with people who exploit others with low paying jobs and threatening to not pay people when they have the means to do so themselves. 

I will leave my mouth open for your next lot of words to put into it. 

9 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

Many large multi million pound companies furloughed their staff, at the end of the day Wetherspoons were forced to close unlike some other companies who still furloughed their staff to increase profits. Their were other companies who encouraged furloughed staff to help out with essential jobs like supermarket working so why aren’t they scumbags? Oh yes…..they didn’t speak out about the EU.

Or maybe we are just chatting about spoons?

2 minutes ago, WV said:

You love assumptions. We are talking about Wetherspoons not other companies. I haven't seen anywhere where it says the video message didn't happen. 43000 staff it went out to. 

I never said I didn't mean it. 

I said it wasn't because he was a millionaire,  I have no problem with wealth creation. I do have issues with people who exploit others with low paying jobs and threatening to not pay people when they have the means to do so themselves. 

I will leave my mouth open for your next lot of words to put into it. 

http://w2.jdwetherspoon.fdclients.co.uk/~/media/files/pdf-documents/events-2021/press-apologies-and-corrections.pdf

So, if the allegations are untrue and that’s the basis of you thinking he is a scumbag, does that mean you retract your opinions on him?

5 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

http://w2.jdwetherspoon.fdclients.co.uk/~/media/files/pdf-documents/events-2021/press-apologies-and-corrections.pdf

So, if the allegations are untrue and that’s the basis of you thinking he is a scumbag, does that mean you retract your opinions on him?

Link doesn't work. Are we calling wetherspoons workers liars now then too? 

As I stated just before, there are plenty of reasons to dislike him without focusing too much on brexit. 

Aggressively squeezing small independent pubs out of every town centre, same with sizzlers and Greene King. 

Breaking electoral law by filling wetherspoons magazine with a pro brexit bias. 

Threatened to not pay staff before furlough

Held a Brexit debate at spoons in Manc and kicked out anyone who didn't agree with brexit 

McDonalds of the pub world is the best description I have read on Spoons. 

Look up his business practices if you want to google any more about him!

Edited by WV
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, WV said:

Link doesn't work. Are we calling wetherspoons workers liars now then too? 

As I stated just before, there are plenty of reasons to dislike him without focusing too much on brexit. 

Aggressively squeezing small independent pubs out of every town centre, same with sizzlers and Greene King. 

Breaking electoral law by filling wetherspoons magazine with a pro brexit bias. 

Threatened to not pay staff before furlough

Held a Brexit debate at spoons in Manc and kicked out anyone who didn't agree with brexit 

McDonalds of the pub world is the best description I have read on Spoons. 

Look up his business practices if you want to google any more about him!

Their beer is poorly conditioned in dirty lines and they buy cheap from the breweries. Better to support local businesses. Plenty of other good places serving proper real ale (not Wetherspoons vinegar) and craft beer. As for them sticky magazines they are good for a laugh. But genuinely worrying if people get their news from them. 

2 minutes ago, ginge said:

Their beer is poorly conditioned in dirty lines and they buy cheap from the breweries. Better to support local businesses. Plenty of other good places serving proper real ale (not Wetherspoons vinegar) and craft beer. As for them sticky magazines they are good for a laugh. But genuinely worrying if people get their news from them. 

That’s your preference, does not make the Beer any better. I am sure the dirty lines is not across all Wetherspoons, having known someone who worked in the kitchens of a Wetherspoon he said it was immaculate by far the highest standards of any kitchen he’d worked in. Wetherspoons are not my go to places and I often avoid them but they are hugely successful, the Beer they serve is pretty decent, no worse than most high street bars in fact I was out around Newcastle last Saturday for the first time in years and found quite a poor selection of Beers in the bars we went to, it was like Heineken had bought Newcastle.

34 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

That’s your preference, does not make the Beer any better. I am sure the dirty lines is not across all Wetherspoons, having known someone who worked in the kitchens of a Wetherspoon he said it was immaculate by far the highest standards of any kitchen he’d worked in. Wetherspoons are not my go to places and I often avoid them but they are hugely successful, the Beer they serve is pretty decent, no worse than most high street bars in fact I was out around Newcastle last Saturday for the first time in years and found quite a poor selection of Beers in the bars we went to, it was like Heineken had bought Newcastle.

Id suggest Mellards, hopwater cellar, bridge street ale house, ten green bottles, wellers and hop inn. Also a the crossways repoened with same owners as bottlecraft in hanley, should be equally as good. All miles better than Wetherspoons and no heineken in sight. 

44 minutes ago, ginge said:

Judging by the popularity of their premises, they must be doing something right.

2 minutes ago, ginge said:

Id suggest Mellards, hopwater cellar, bridge street ale house, ten green bottles, wellers and hop inn. Also a the crossways repoened with same owners as bottlecraft in hanley, should be equally as good. All miles better than Wetherspoons and no heineken in sight. 

Again you're putting down a popular brand, Heiniken. If you don't like it then don't buy it, but don't put down people who enjoy it.

3 minutes ago, jimbo57 said:

Again you're putting down a popular brand, Heiniken. If you don't like it then don't buy it, but don't put down people who enjoy it.

I was quoting philpvfc who put it down actually. Where did i put anyone down who enjoyed it? Oh wait i didnt so stop making things up as usual.