Beyond Brexit - A new dawn? A leap of faith?

Aussie Rules

On 01/11/2021 at 06:52, hillmanhunter said:

There's a scientific consensus that smoking causes cancer.  If you really want I can dig up the names of scientific bodies that have advised governments on that consensus. 

The science is the linking of smoking with cancer by experiment and observation producing reproducible data, that's where consensus has no place.

The "Scientific consensus" is the medical community advising that smoking can cause cancer based on the scientific data. derived from experimentation.

You may consider my post pedantic but it's important to make the distinction between what's science and what's opinion/advice etc and that comes from a lived experience/mess-up

1 hour ago, Doha said:

The usual suspects will bend over backwards to defend this as per.

Easier to ignore than defend. Can't see RB, FUA and Jimbo making an appearance

20 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

The science is the linking of smoking with cancer by experiment and observation producing reproducible data, that's where consensus has no place.

The "Scientific consensus" is the medical community advising that smoking can cause cancer based on the scientific data. derived from experimentation.

You may consider my post pedantic but it's important to make the distinction between what's science and what's opinion/advice etc and that comes from a lived experience/mess-up

Yes. You've got it. This means consensus in science is not irrelevant. It's the reason bodies like The National Academy of Science in The USA exist.

12 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Surely the Most Corrupt  Excuse for a Government in living history.

That's a big claim mate.

Corrupt?....... oh yes.

Most corrupt?....... given all the crap that's gone on in my lifetime I wouldn't like to say that as a definite. I can't remember a government that wasn't corrupt.

That's a big claim mate.
Corrupt?....... oh yes.
Most corrupt?....... given all the crap that's gone on in my lifetime I wouldn't like to say that as a definite. I can't remember a government that wasn't corrupt.
I do claim it together with the increased secrecy and restrictions on freedom of information outside national security. Lump it with the drop in income growth and we are in dire straights.
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, geosname said:

That's a big claim mate.

Corrupt?....... oh yes.

There have always been corruption with politicians. But as for a Government, never in my 7 decades has there been one so mired in sleaze and corruption as this one

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:
4 hours ago, geosname said:
That's a big claim mate.
Corrupt?....... oh yes.

I do claim it together with the increased secrecy and restrictions on freedom of information outside national security. Lump it with the drop in income growth and we are in dire straights.

I don't have a problem with your claim mate, i'm not certain of it's accuracy. You could well be correct.

There are a lot of freedoms under attack and the canoe is well up the creek and no one seems to have the paddle.

53 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

There have always been corruption with politicians. But as for a Government, never in my 7 decades has there been one so mired in sleaze and corruption as this one

The whole of parliament was corrupt after Thatcher introduced expenses to boost MPs pay. It wasn't really questioned until Brown was in office. That's 20 years of Tory and Labour control and abuse. Orders were issued to destroy records, luckily they weren't. 

Im defending neither side or favouring either side.

2 hours ago, geosname said:

The whole of parliament was corrupt after Thatcher introduced expenses to boost MPs pay. It wasn't really questioned until Brown was in office. That's 20 years of Tory and Labour control and abuse. Orders were issued to destroy records, luckily they weren't. 

Im defending neither side or favouring either side.

They didn't all abuse it though did they