• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Beyond Brexit - A new dawn? A leap of faith?

Aussie Rules

1 hour ago, jimbo57 said:

You said 'the majority of immigrants are coming from non EU countries'.  Unless France has suddenly left, then they are indeed coming from an EU country-France.

They are only passing through, they are not from France but mainly from war zones in the Middle East and Africa.

Advert:

1 hour ago, jimbo57 said:

You said 'the majority of immigrants are coming from non EU countries'.  Unless France has suddenly left, then they are indeed coming from an EU country-France.

Are you deliberately misunderstandin?  A bloke from Syria is from a non EU country.  A bloke from Afghanistan is from a non EU country.  If you travel to see the Vale at Sutton next week and pass through London on the way does that make you a cockney?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, hillmanhunter said:

Did you download the spreadsheets?

You wrote:

"Nope…..a lot of the asylum seekers we are having are from North Africa where French and Spanish is more widely spoken. Most are young adults who do not have family and we do not get a tiny amount, we are seeing record number"

Only 2 of the top 10 nations are North African - so that's wrong.

It follows that the most common foreign language in the majority of those nations is English. So that's wrong too.

The age groups are not split into any common definition of young adult so, your claim might be true but I don't see any evidence for it.

There's a clear drop in numbers from year end to March 2020 so that's wrong as well.

My family claim is purely anecdotal from talking to refugees that are here. I'll give you that one.

3 out of the top 10 are from North Africa and all are bucking the trend as in rising numbers- I did say there has been a shift towards refugees coming from North Africa

All North African countries that border the med except Libya speak French more than English. Plus anyone claiming asylum will not admit to being Moroccan, Algerian, Tunisian etc.  as it is a lot harder to be granted asylum from a safe country

All the videos I have seen have shown a vast majority of young males making the crossings, not families and doubtful they have families over here already.

The decline in 2020 was due to Covid as clearly shown on the graph, 2021 is seeing a rise again.

Advert:

9 hours ago, philpvfc said:

3 out of the top 10 are from North Africa and all are bucking the trend as in rising numbers- I did say there has been a shift towards refugees coming from North Africa

All North African countries that border the med except Libya speak French more than English. Plus anyone claiming asylum will not admit to being Moroccan, Algerian, Tunisian etc.  as it is a lot harder to be granted asylum from a safe country

All the videos I have seen have shown a vast majority of young males making the crossings, not families and doubtful they have families over here already.

The decline in 2020 was due to Covid as clearly shown on the graph, 2021 is seeing a rise again.

From The UK Stats from the link I posted earlier.

Year ending Mar 2021 

26903 Asylum seekers 

North African split

Eritrea 2393 (3rd place)

Sudan 1913 (5th place)

Nigeria 931 (13th place)

Ethiopia 317 (18th place)

Egypt 261 (19th place)

That's 21.5% of asylum seekers from North Africa. 21.5% is not "a lot" - your words.

English is either an official language or widely spoken in all of those countries. French not so much.

I'm sure I read that the increase this year is still below pre-pandemic levels. If you want I can try and find a source for that.

4 hours ago, hillmanhunter said:

From The UK Stats from the link I posted earlier.

Year ending Mar 2021 

26903 Asylum seekers 

North African split

Eritrea 2393 (3rd place)

Sudan 1913 (5th place)

Nigeria 931 (13th place)

Ethiopia 317 (18th place)

Egypt 261 (19th place)

That's 21.5% of asylum seekers from North Africa. 21.5% is not "a lot" - your words.

English is either an official language or widely spoken in all of those countries. French not so much.

I'm sure I read that the increase this year is still below pre-pandemic levels. If you want I can try and find a source for that.

There was a Professor guy on Radio 4 this morning talking about the rise in numbers. He was suggesting that a couple of years ago a lot of migrants came in illegally because the Border Force wasn’t as active in the matter as it is now so the difference is because more are being “caught”. 

• Like 1

Mr Farage has been crashed into whilst on the hunt for petrol. Apparently he had been looking everywhere for fuel but couldn't find any anywhere and whilst in a queue and stationery was crashed into. I do not wish harm on anyone including Nigel, however if that isn't a metaphor for how brexit is going I don't know what is. Didn't he tweet that he'd leave the country if brexit was a disaster? I'm sure he could do so easily anyway with his German passport. He'd soon run away and leave the mess behind that he was partially responsible for.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ginge said:

Mr Farage has been crashed into whilst on the hunt for petrol. Apparently he had been looking everywhere for fuel but couldn't find any anywhere and whilst in a queue and stationery was crashed into. I do not wish harm on anyone including Nigel, however if that isn't a metaphor for how brexit is going I don't know what is. Didn't he tweet that he'd leave the country if brexit was a disaster? I'm sure he could do so easily anyway with his German passport. He'd soon run away and leave the mess behind that he was partially responsible for.

You give Nigel far to much credit. 

The people who voted are responsible for brexit. The irresponsible people are the ones who can't handle it, thought it was simple, don't know what to do with it...... in short politicians.

If the driver shortage is solely down to brexit where have the hundreds of thousands of drivers disappeared to?

If they have gone home there should be a glut in their home countries, but they seem to be short handed too.

Advert:

Brexit is not the only reason for the HGV diver shortage - it is one of several. The attitude of the government towards warnings from the RHA plays a big part. The lack of decent facilities for drivers in this country compared to the continent makes it an unattractive proposition, particularly for women. It is a case of chickens coming home to roost. 

• Like 1

There is a long way to go to see how brexit will play out but I can`t see it being good for the country in the long term.

The shortage of workers has at least given some people a long overdue chance to improve their wages and conditions but as exports to the EU have fallen dramatically how long this bonus will endure before unemployment rises is anyones guess.

The right wing who drove this process won`t be happy at higher wages and therefore costs to business but the government have already helped them out by reducing environmental standards, which along with even worse workers rights was one of their targets.

The failure of Johnson to agree a trade deal with the States was a big blow to the government and so far they have  only managed to agree some rushed, bad deals for us with relatively small markets such as Australia.

Ireland seems more likely to be united and Scotland more likely to leave the union, which I don`t suppose was the intention but seems almost inevitable.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, bycars rob said:

There is a long way to go to see how brexit will play out but I can`t see it being good for the country in the long term.

The shortage of workers has at least given some people a long overdue chance to improve their wages and conditions but as exports to the EU have fallen dramatically how long this bonus will endure before unemployment rises is anyones guess.

The right wing who drove this process won`t be happy at higher wages and therefore costs to business but the government have already helped them out by reducing environmental standards, which along with even worse workers rights was one of their targets.

The failure of Johnson to agree a trade deal with the States was a big blow to the government and so far they have  only managed to agree some rushed, bad deals for us with relatively small markets such as Australia.

Ireland seems more likely to be united and Scotland more likely to leave the union, which I don`t suppose was the intention but seems almost inevitable.

Blue passport covers make it all worth it, duh. 

1 hour ago, bycars rob said:

If bojo gets in again at the next election the minimum wage will be abolished the torys never wanted it in the first place as will a lot of workers rights 

Advert:

10 hours ago, geosname said:

You give Nigel far to much credit. 

The people who voted are responsible for brexit. The irresponsible people are the ones who can't handle it, thought it was simple, don't know what to do with it...... in short politicians.

If the driver shortage is solely down to brexit where have the hundreds of thousands of drivers disappeared to?

If they have gone home there should be a glut in their home countries, but they seem to be short handed too.

I said he's partially responsible for. Let's be honest it's difficult to hold him account because he is unelectable and unelected. However that made it so easy for him to gob about whatever he wants promising brexit voters the world! And I imagine some like sunny bought into what he said. 

17 minutes ago, ginge said:

I said he's partially responsible for. Let's be honest it's difficult to hold him account because he is unelectable and unelected. However that made it so easy for him to gob about whatever he wants promising brexit voters the world! And I imagine some like sunny bought into what he said. 

There is the definition of politicians, elected or otherwise, in a nutshell.

Gob off to all and sundry,  making promises the people probably want to hear or believe in but deliver very little in reality. The colour of the rosette may vary but the crap remains the same.