Beyond Brexit - A new dawn? A leap of faith?

Aussie Rules

Advert:

A rough estimate of lost drivers gives about 250,000 missing.

Is there a Dover triangle in play, like Bermuda? 

Are drivers a high risk of covid death?

If all the drivers went home after brexit why is there a shortage in home countries?

Is the industry/unions stockpiling drivers to force costs/wages up?

All the above and many other questions will not garner an honest answer from politicians, who will of course feed the public benign platitudes...... e.g........ there is plenty of petrol/food...... the fact the people can't get their hand on it seems to escape them..... possibly because they have a guaranteed supply. 

Oh for simpler days when kids walked to school and people cooked..... hey ho 

13 hours ago, For Us All said:

Not sure what they are allowed to do but I do know that we can use the immigration powers reclaimed by our new independence to help out supply problems.A temporary, emergency relaxation of visa rules now to let more EU drivers in is the right thing to do.

You're hilarious. We can use our new powers of immigration which brexit gave us to reverse one of the main reasons people voted for brexit. So if brexit didn't happen then we wouldn't need to reverse the new rules surely? 

• Like 1

If all the drivers went home after brexit why is there a shortage in home countries?
All the above and many other questions will not garner an honest answer from politicians, who will of course feed the public benign platitudes...... e.g........ there is plenty of petrol/food...... the fact the people can't get their hand on it seems to escape them..... possibly because they have a guaranteed supply. 
The days when Amazon was just a faraway river on a map and coal was delivered by horse and cart. Shifting goods and food between giant sheds bigger than several football grounds needs a lot of drivers.

3 hours ago, geosname said:

Oh for the good old days pre EU when most of Europe were at war with each other for thousands of years. 

Some kids without lazy parents still walk to school. More will be walking this week than usual. 

Most people still cook, you still need ingredients to cook. Ive not seen one recipe that lists empty shelves as an ingredient. 

Looks like our sovrinty and freedom is going to hit us all hard in the pocket once prices rise in line with fuel going up and hauliers wages rising. The likes of Eddie Stobart aren't going to swallow the cost for the consumer. Quality of life is going to drop for most on the breadline.  Crime will increase but no doubt that will be blamed on the afghan refugees. 

Edited by WV

Advert:

57 minutes ago, WV said:

Oh for the good old days pre EU when most of Europe were at war with each other for thousands of years. 

Some kids without lazy parents still walk to school. More will be walking this week than usual. 

Most people still cook, you still need ingredients to cook. Ive not seen one recipe that lists empty shelves as an ingredient. 

Looks like our sovrinty and freedom is going to hit us all hard in the pocket once prices rise in line with fuel going up and hauliers wages rising. The likes of Eddie Stobart aren't going to swallow the cost for the consumer. Quality of life is going to drop for most on the breadline.  Crime will increase but no doubt that will be blamed on the afghan refugees. 

It costs what it costs, if the majority vote for it everyone pays the price. Much like elections.

There have been things missing from the shelves/shops for years. Mostly because of supermarkets who tend to out price the smaller shops who sold items the big boys didn't. How many butchers shops are in Hanley or stalls in the market? Everything is prepacked for store convenience so you buy what they sell not what you want/need.

Bolognese sauce is one of the simplest things to make but people buy a jar, warm it and call it cooking.

How many supermarkets sell sweetbreads, game, pigs head, brains etc?

15 minutes ago, geosname said:

It costs what it costs, if the majority vote for it everyone pays the price. Much like elections.

There have been things missing from the shelves/shops for years. Mostly because of supermarkets who tend to out price the smaller shops who sold items the big boys didn't. How many butchers shops are in Hanley or stalls in the market? Everything is prepacked for store convenience so you buy what they sell not what you want/need.

Bolognese sauce is one of the simplest things to make but people buy a jar, warm it and call it cooking.

How many supermarkets sell sweetbreads, game, pigs head, brains etc?

You seem surprised that people prefer convenience after working all day, mostly to cover bills and not much else. 

There are plenty of butchers around. I get my meat from the butchers in Hartshill instead of the supermarket. I cook steaks but I don't make my own sauce or make my own chips. Why? Because it is more convenient not too and its 2021 not 1963. 

How many people do you think are clamouring for pigs heads, brains and game? Again, it is 2021 not 1963. If people wanted them the supermarkets would sell them. 

It costs what it costs but not what they said it would cost

. Turkeys voting for Christmas comes to mind. 

47 minutes ago, WV said:

You seem surprised that people prefer convenience after working all day, mostly to cover bills and not much else. 

There are plenty of butchers around. I get my meat from the butchers in Hartshill instead of the supermarket. I cook steaks but I don't make my own sauce or make my own chips. Why? Because it is more convenient not too and its 2021 not 1963. 

How many people do you think are clamouring for pigs heads, brains and game? Again, it is 2021 not 1963. If people wanted them the supermarkets would sell them. 

It costs what it costs but not what they said it would cost

. Turkeys voting for Christmas comes to mind. 

My point exactly, it's convenience food not cooking.

If you stop selling something people stop trying to buy it. Which came first the lack of demand or lack of supply?

How many butchers in Hanley?

Mad cow had an effect on some items and it never came back

As for sweetbreads...... beautiful.

I've said all along it was a bad decision to leave but that's what the majority voted for.

Im glad it's not 1963, not a great year, big freeze, walking to school and back, little food not much heat, ice on the inside of the windows blah blah blah. 

Advert:

11 minutes ago, geosname said:

My point exactly, it's convenience food not cooking.

If you stop selling something people stop trying to buy it. Which came first the lack of demand or lack of supply?

How many butchers in Hanley?

Mad cow had an effect on some items and it never came back

As for sweetbreads...... beautiful.

I've said all along it was a bad decision to leave but that's what the majority voted for.

Im glad it's not 1963, not a great year, big freeze, walking to school and back, little food not much heat, ice on the inside of the windows blah blah blah. 

2 butchers in the market place below potteries shopping centre. 

I would think lack of demand came before lack of supply. That is how business tends to work. Most people don't eat pigs heads, brains and animals balls anymore mate. You seem a little out of touch.  

People have and always will take the most convenient option. 

44 minutes ago, WV said:

2 butchers in the market place below potteries shopping centre. 

I would think lack of demand came before lack of supply. That is how business tends to work. Most people don't eat pigs heads, brains and animals balls anymore mate. You seem a little out of touch.  

People have and always will take the most convenient option. 

Sweetbreads aren't testicles. 

2 in the market? When I had a stall in the market there were approximately 10, all around the top corner, when the meat market was open there were more and fresh fish stalls plus several butchers in the town.

Business usually creates a demand, specifically for the products they sell.

I think the supermarkets didn't like the aesthetics of pigs heads, tripe and other offal on display. People still buy brawn, supermarkets still sell it, traditionally made from pigs head. I agree of feel doesn't look very pleasant but that doesn't stop the locals buying it at the supermarkets here, even pigs mask, pigs face.

Im not stuck in the past but there are things I miss, just as I do living here. I can't buy decent bacon, sausage, pies, pasties, lard, pickles and many more. I can buy the bread the supermarkets want to sell me, sweet and nasty........ so what I can't get I make myself. Tiger bread costs about £4 a loaf to buy, 50p to make the bread and 10p to make the topping. I'm not singing my own praise just pointing out that if you want something bad enough you can get it.

1 hour ago, geosname said:

Sweetbreads aren't testicles. 

2 in the market? When I had a stall in the market there were approximately 10, all around the top corner, when the meat market was open there were more and fresh fish stalls plus several butchers in the town.

Business usually creates a demand, specifically for the products they sell.

I think the supermarkets didn't like the aesthetics of pigs heads, tripe and other offal on display. People still buy brawn, supermarkets still sell it, traditionally made from pigs head. I agree of feel doesn't look very pleasant but that doesn't stop the locals buying it at the supermarkets here, even pigs mask, pigs face.

Im not stuck in the past but there are things I miss, just as I do living here. I can't buy decent bacon, sausage, pies, pasties, lard, pickles and many more. I can buy the bread the supermarkets want to sell me, sweet and nasty........ so what I can't get I make myself. Tiger bread costs about £4 a loaf to buy, 50p to make the bread and 10p to make the topping. I'm not singing my own praise just pointing out that if you want something bad enough you can get it.

Well people don't go to the market as much as they used to because of a thing called the Internet. The world has moved on. 

Its not the supermarkets that dont like pigs heads on display, its people that don't like it or they would be there. Again, the world has moved on. If I wanted a pigs head, which I never have, I would Google where to get one and get one. 

I'm not sure of your point unless its that the world was better in the old days (which it wasn't)....unless you thijk it was because you were young but that is just rose tinted nostalgia 

Edited by WV

10 minutes ago, WV said:

Well people don't go to the market as much as they used to because of a thing called the Internet. The world has moved on. 

Its not the supermarkets that dont like pigs heads on display, its people that don't like it or they would be there. Again, the world has moved on. If I wanted a pigs head, which I never have, I would Google where to get one and get one. 

I'm not sure of your point unless its that the world was better in the old days (which it wasn't)....unless you thijk it was because you were young but that is just rose tinted nostalgia 

I grew up in poverty so I have no hankering for "The old days"

I do miss the ability to choose which shops I prefer for different products, the independents who sold a wider veriety collectively than the supermarkets do... or the chain stores. But everything passes with time....... some things shouldn't but they do.

Yes I suppose im old fashioned when it comes to seeing what i'm buying before I've paid for it, it must get tiresome sending things back if they are wrong in some way.

I suppose my point is not everything is better because it's newer or accepted as better...... a bit like brexit really

Advert: