Jump to content

Beyond Brexit - A new dawn? A leap of faith?


Aussie Rules
 Share

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, hillmanhunter said:

I read German/Swiss news regularly and haven't seen anything about shortages. Not heard any anecdotal evidence from friends in Switzerland, Germany, France and Italy either.

They have a shortage of drivers, yes. But as their shortage is much less than ours it seems the logistics are holding up.

Happy to be corrected if you have some evidence to the contrary.

Here's a link to a Frankfurt newspaper talking about Brexit. No mention of problems in Germany. 

GB feels Brexit. Empty shelves, no milkshakes.

My best pal lives in Geneva and he hasn't mentioned anything either. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, sunny boslem said:

The lorry driver shortage down to brexit is <ovf censored> 

Covid is more to blame 

And your reasoning is? Or do you just prefer that in your head having voted for and crowed for months about this shambles of a brexit?

Edited by WV

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, sunny boslem said:

The lorry driver shortage down to brexit is <ovf censored> 

Covid is more to blame 

Who to believe, you or The Road Haulage Association. Tough one.

https://www.talkingretail.com/news/industry-news/delivery-crisis-wont-be-solved-without-eu-drivers-say-hauliers-31-08-2021/

And there's more red tape success on top

https://www.fleetpoint.org/law-and-legislation/brexit/kent-access-permit/kent-access-permit-policy-cost-hauliers-over-630000-in-fines/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, WV said:

And your reasoning is? Or do you just prefer that in your head having voted for and crowed for months about this shambles of a brexit?

 

my reasoning is if online sales ain’t gone mental since Covid we would not need as many drivers 

Obviously brexit is not be helping 

Strange how we can’t get drivers from the EU but we can’t stop the illegal boats coming in 

Edited by sunny boslem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why if all the Eastern European drivers have gone home is Poland the worst effected country in Europe?

Brexit only has a very small part to play in our driver shortage. I work for a company which is having a major crisis with the shortages and we hardly lost any due to Brexit, yes some went back home to Poland etc. Once Brexit happened but it was only fractionally more than would normally as there has always been a high turnover of foreign drivers but these drivers were quickly replaced. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

Why if all the Eastern European drivers have gone home is Poland the worst effected country in Europe?

Brexit only has a very small part to play in our driver shortage. I work for a company which is having a major crisis with the shortages and we hardly lost any due to Brexit, yes some went back home to Poland etc. Once Brexit happened but it was only fractionally more than would normally as there has always been a high turnover of foreign drivers but these drivers were quickly replaced. 

 

Not sure about Poland. The article doesn't give any figures or any reasons.

The Road Haulage Association estimate 20,000 EU drivers left during Brexit and didn't come back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, hillmanhunter said:

Not sure about Poland. The article doesn't give any figures or any reasons.

The Road Haulage Association estimate 20,000 EU drivers left during Brexit and didn't come back.

Won’t argue with that figure but every year there are a lot who leave and don’t come back, agree, not as high a figure as that but drivers have been decreasing for years before Brexit as pay has decreased and conditions have got worse including more congested roads. Don’t know why but I have seen a big increase in Russian drivers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act on ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please use the contact form

    If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here

    Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here

  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...