Beyond Brexit - A new dawn? A leap of faith?

Aussie Rules

Advert:

1 hour ago, philpvfc said:

Racist card comes out again. Yawn.

You may be tired of racism but you don't experience it and fortunately nor do I. I've told you many times how he's a racist. Cover for him all you like, the breaking point poster he stood in front of was racist. 

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, ginge said:

You may be tired of racism but you don't experience it and fortunately nor do I. I've told you many times how he's a racist. Cover for him all you like, the breaking point poster he stood in front of was racist. 

You throw the card around a lot. You don’t agree with a politician who says what a big percentage of the population think then he’s a racist in your opinion. The same person who married a foreigner. And how do you know I haven’t suffered racism?

Advert:

8 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

You throw the card around a lot. You don’t agree with a politician who says what a big percentage of the population think then he’s a racist in your opinion. The same person who married a foreigner. And how do you know I haven’t suffered racism?

Just because he says what a big percentage of the population thinks doesn’t mean he isn’t racist. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

I certainly do not throw the racist card around a lot. A big population agree? Is that why he has failed to become an mp 7 times? Also people can agree with him on many topics that are not racist but the breaking point poster is racist.

I think we both know that marrying a foreigner has nothing to do with whether you can be racist or not and is certainly no excuse for it. You think Jeremy Corbyn is racist, yet he married a foreigner so that floors any logic behind that argument. It's the equivalent of saying Im not racist because I have a black friend. 

I apologise for assuming if you have experienced racism.

Edited by ginge

Advert:

I kind of find it ironic that some EU travellers are "outraged" at getting their finger prints taken at immigration. As someone who has lived, worked, paid tax, raised children over 30 years in NL. Own my own house and the ground, without a mortgage, And had to make an appointment with the Alien police in the Hague to get - my finger prints taken, retina scanned. To be allowed to stay in my own home, in the country where I have paid all my tax at top whack  for 30 years?

I think I have more right to be outraged.

But it is what it is. I don't like it. It is very de-humanizing for me and my kids.  And it makes us feel that we are second class citizens in a country we have lived in for 30 years. Where we speak the language, most of our friends are Dutch. We get on great with our Dutch neighbours. And are active in the local community.

Now we have to carry a card, as well as our passport, at all times. 

It really does feel very strange. When you are basically just carrying on your life, you never had a say in anything, and then you are an outsider through no fault of your own.

Our friends are fine, but in administration stuff, the press and generally there is definitely an anti-English thing going on. We feel much less comfortable living here now.

And we didn't even get a vote on it!

Edited by toyahw

4 hours ago, toyahw said:

I kind of find it ironic that some EU travellers are "outraged" at getting their finger prints taken at immigration. As someone who has lived, worked, paid tax, raised children over 30 years in NL. Own my own house and the ground, without a mortgage, And had to make an appointment with the Alien police in the Hague to get - my finger prints taken, retina scanned. To be allowed to stay in my own home, in the country where I have paid all my tax at top whack  for 30 years?

But it is what it is. I don't like it. It is very de-humanizing for me and my kids.  And it makes us feel that we are second class citizens in a country we have lived in for 30 years. Where we speak the language, most of our friends are Dutch. We get on great with our Dutch neighbours. And are active in the local community.

It really does feel very strange. When you are basically just carrying on your life, you never had a say in anything, and then you are an outsider through no fault of your own.

Our friends are fine, but in administration stuff, the press and generally there is definitely an anti-English thing going on. We feel much less comfortable living here now.

I was wondering how you were going on mate.

It doesn't sound to friendly from the officials standpoint.

Stay safe.

9 hours ago, toyahw said:

Is it just an attitude toward the English because we have just left the EU or is it similar towards other none EU nationals? 

8 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Is it just an attitude toward the English because we have just left the EU or is it similar towards other none EU nationals? 

Here in Thailand is all none Thais,  you can get a 12 month visa every year but you have to report to immigration every 90 days.

9 hours ago, philpvfc said:

To be fair, it is all non-EU nationals not a special anti-UK thing. And the immigration officials are all perfectly pleasant and organized. It is just a shock to the system when you are just minding your own business. I guess I now know how immigrants feel.

Some other consequence. Had to close our UK bank account, which is a right pain as we still have stuff we need to do in Sterling. Can't move food now. So no taking Gouda cheese over to rellies in the UK and bringing back oatcakes anymore!

We can still travel freely within Schengen, but no right to settle anywhere else if we wanted to move elsewhere in Europe. Plus, although we have permanent residence, this lapses if we are out of the country for more than 90 days. So my wife who works for a Saudi company cannot take up a six month secondment in Saudi because we would not be allowed back to our house.

Might all sound like first world problems, but it does make you suddenly feel like a second class citizen. I wouldn't say there has been any anti-English feeling. More of a "you are a UK citizen, you are out of the EU, what makes you think you are entitled to anything here". For example when I went for my jab, the woman said "why don't you get it in England, why do you expect us to pay for it?". Plus I got asked to prove that I understood the in Dutch health declaration even though I was speaking to them in Dutch. This would not have happened before. As for the expecting us Dutch to pay for us jibe, well we have paid more into the Dutch system in tax than the vast majority of Dutch ever will.

I guess my point is that it is pretty crap both ways, EU in UK and UK in EU. Not a one way street. And feeling like a second class citizen sucks.

Edited by toyahw

Advert:

13 hours ago, toyahw said:

To be fair, it is all non-EU nationals not a special anti-UK thing. And the immigration officials are all perfectly pleasant and organized. It is just a shock to the system when you are just minding your own business. I guess I now know how immigrants feel.

Some other consequence. Had to close our UK bank account, which is a right pain as we still have stuff we need to do in Sterling. Can't move food now. So no taking Gouda cheese over to rellies in the UK and bringing back oatcakes anymore!

We can still travel freely within Schengen, but no right to settle anywhere else if we wanted to move elsewhere in Europe. Plus, although we have permanent residence, this lapses if we are out of the country for more than 90 days. So my wife who works for a Saudi company cannot take up a six month secondment in Saudi because we would not be allowed back to our house.

Might all sound like first world problems, but it does make you suddenly feel like a second class citizen. I wouldn't say there has been any anti-English feeling. More of a "you are a UK citizen, you are out of the EU, what makes you think you are entitled to anything here". For example when I went for my jab, the woman said "why don't you get it in England, why do you expect us to pay for it?". Plus I got asked to prove that I understood the in Dutch health declaration even though I was speaking to them in Dutch. This would not have happened before. As for the expecting us Dutch to pay for us jibe, well we have paid more into the Dutch system in tax than the vast majority of Dutch ever will.

I guess my point is that it is pretty crap both ways, EU in UK and UK in EU. Not a one way street. And feeling like a second class citizen sucks.

You seem to have done well in life 👍 

but every comment you make on every thread you seem very sad