Beyond Brexit - A new dawn? A leap of faith?

Aussie Rules

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/08/northern-ireland-unrest-why-violence-broken-out

What is the background to the unrest?

Tensions in loyalist communists have been heightened since Brexit checks came into force in January but there is a wider unease in the unionist community that the constitutional position of Northern Ireland, one of four countries in the UK, has been put under threat by the Brexit settlement.

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/08/northern-ireland-unrest-why-violence-broken-out

Tensions in loyalist communists have been heightened since Brexit checks came into force in January but there is a wider unease in the unionist community that the constitutional position of Northern Ireland, one of four countries in the UK, has been put under threat by the Brexit settlement.

The unionists wanted brexit, or at least the DUP did. I can only assume they believed it would bring a hard border in Ireland and strengthen the union. Instead it has led to a border with the mainland and closer ties to Ireland than the the rest of the uk. Just another in the long list of people who ‘knew what we were voting for’.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

cant open attachment does it mention the IRA funeral that went ahead with thousands of mourners that went unpunished a few months ago after it boke the lock down rules thats upset alot of loyalists, plus the organised crime side of the IRA who love a good ruck don't think the 13 year olds give a stuff about brexit they mastered the art of fire bombing things years ago

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Mario said:

cant open attachment does it mention the IRA funeral that went ahead with thousands of mourners that went unpunished a few months ago after it boke the lock down rules thats upset alot of loyalists, plus the organised crime side of the IRA who love a good ruck don't think the 13 year olds give a stuff about brexit they mastered the art of fire bombing things years ago

it mentions the funeral yes. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

The Guardian will always blame Brexit but the truth is there has been unrest for quite a while, I agree, Brexit won’t help the stability but it is only a small factor to the troubles which have just been waiting to happen. I have quite a few ties to Northern Ireland, my sister is married to someone from Newry which is bandit heartland and I have been there, you speak to the locals and very few wanted Brexit but accept it and say it had to happen once the vote went the way it did, in fact they were more accepting of the vote than so many on here.

15 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

The Guardian will always blame Brexit but the truth is there has been unrest for quite a while, I agree, Brexit won’t help the stability but it is only a small factor to the troubles which have just been waiting to happen. I have quite a few ties to Northern Ireland, my sister is married to someone from Newry which is bandit heartland and I have been there, you speak to the locals and very few wanted Brexit but accept it and say it had to happen once the vote went the way it did, in fact they were more accepting of the vote than so many on here.

But newry a very republican area isn’t it? I thought republicans generally were in the remain side anyway (probably to stay aligned with Ireland) while the nationalists were leave? However the whole fiasco has pushed the reunification of Ireland back up into prominence, so it’s no wonder many are willing to accept it. While we now see the nationalists who voted for it calling it the brexit betrayal. 

23 minutes ago, Andyregs said:

But newry a very republican area isn’t it? I thought republicans generally were in the remain side anyway (probably to stay aligned with Ireland) while the nationalists were leave? However the whole fiasco has pushed the reunification of Ireland back up into prominence, so it’s no wonder many are willing to accept it. While we now see the nationalists who voted for it calling it the brexit betrayal. 

Newry is very much republican yes but even when you go to Belfast and speak to both sides they still say very much the same. I would say there are more loyalists who voted to remain than leave, it isn’t just Republicans who wanted to stay in the EU. 

4 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

Newry is very much republican yes but even when you go to Belfast and speak to both sides they still say very much the same. I would say there are more loyalists who voted to remain than leave, it isn’t just Republicans who wanted to stay in the EU. 

Of course it’s not that every republican voted one way and nationalists/unionists voted the other, but generally republicans voted remain and unionists leave.

http://www.niassembly.gov.uk/globalassets/documents/raise/knowledge_exchange/briefing_papers/series6/garry121016.pdf

2 hours ago, philpvfc said:

The Guardian will always blame Brexit 

From the Daily Mail... 

Loyalists are also angry at post-Brexit trading arrangements that have created economic barriers between the region and the rest of the UK. They see the Northern Ireland Protocol as undermining their place in the Union.

39 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

From the Daily Mail... 

Loyalists are also angry at post-Brexit trading arrangements that have created economic barriers between the region and the rest of the UK. They see the Northern Ireland Protocol as undermining their place in the Union.

As i said, the Brexit situation doesn’t help tension in NI but you fail to mention the Mail talks about the failure to prosecute Sinn Fein members who went to a mass gaverings at a funeral or the UDA drug seizures. 
With or without Brexit these problems will have happened. 

Do you ever consider how when you repeatedly post these videos, you're getting your 'news' from talking heads directly instructing you what to think, instead of actual news sources laying out the facts?

4 minutes ago, sunny boslem said:

You can pick a YouTube video of someone telling you anything you want to. Stopped listening after a minute when he claimed that people didn’t realise these tensions already existed for a long time. If you’re going to just make up the most ridiculous straw man to start with I can’t be bothered to listen to the rest. 
Nobody is saying brexit is the cause of the troubles in NI. It’s just making it worse. It is undeniable that Brexit has angered unionists who feel betrayed. And this issue was predicted 5 years ago by John major and tony Blair. But you knew about it already. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Doha said:

Do you ever consider how when you repeatedly post these videos, you're getting your 'news' from talking heads directly instructing you what to think, instead of actual news sources laying out the facts?

Don’t give me that crap 

• Haha 1