• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Beyond Brexit - A new dawn? A leap of faith?

Aussie Rules

1 minute ago, sunny boslem said:

I’m deleting that email it’s if it’s sending me <ovf censored> 

I will give you one thing... for a parody account you are actually very funny!

🙂

That did make me smile!

Enjoy the sunshine Sunny!

UTV

• Like 1

Advert:

Advert:

On 30/03/2021 at 13:33, Iron Curtain said:

Try reading through the propaganda

Instead of opting for a fixed domestic factory to produce his wares, Mr Richardson has used an international network of printers to deliver goods.

Printing jobs in UK = down

Printing jobs overseas = up

If this is the trend which provides the "Solution" then I worry for manufacturing in the UK... then again I always did.

No need to worry. Ford are going to build their new engine in the UK. Nissan are expanding. JCB are taking on hundreds of extra working in order to cope with worldwide orders, etc etc.

"From langoustines to artisanal gin, Brexit has proved a drag on exports of British agrifood products to the EU, but there is one item that has failed to make it across the English Channel at all: the beneficial nematode."

"Before Brexit the company sent 50 per cent of its total output to the EU but since January their two main competitors — one Dutch, one German — had moved quickly to fill the vacuum left by a lack of UK deliveries, Goddard said. "

https://www.ft.com/content/888658ea-9b33-454e-bac5-c9d4a59eb201

Advert:

35 minutes ago, hillmanhunter said:

but there is one item that has failed to make it across the English Channel at all: the beneficial nematode."

Nematodes are microscopic creatures, that act as parasites on other insects. They release bacteria into the host's body to kill them. The nematode then eats the host.

Now who does that remind me of? :smurf:

1 hour ago, Doha said:

Nematodes are microscopic creatures, that act as parasites on other insects. They release bacteria into the host's body to kill them. The nematode then eats the host.

Now who does that remind me of? :smurf:

Pomlett? hahaha

15 hours ago, jimbo57 said:

No need to worry. Ford are going to build their new engine in the UK. Nissan are expanding. JCB are taking on hundreds of extra working in order to cope with worldwide orders, etc etc.

Ford - No additional jobs, just maintaining those that are currently there. And building diesel engines doesnt seem like the great long term play that Brexiters are now hanging on to. Not a single lost job at Bridgend is replaced by this. Woopdey Doo.

Nissan - The only expansion I can find at Nissan is the expansion of their Solar panels... not jobs. 

JCB does seem like some good news... although most of those jobs cover those lost due to Covid. Not sure how many are incremental. I would also question how many of those increased orders are BECAUSE of Brexit. As with most examples of positive Brexit news... would this have happened anyway. 

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Ford - No additional jobs, just maintaining those that are currently there. And building diesel engines doesnt seem like the great long term play that Brexiters are now hanging on to. Not a single lost job at Bridgend is replaced by this. Woopdey Doo.

Nissan - The only expansion I can find at Nissan is the expansion of their Solar panels... not jobs. 

JCB does seem like some good news... although most of those jobs cover those lost due to Covid. Not sure how many are incremental. I would also question how many of those increased orders are BECAUSE of Brexit. As with most examples of positive Brexit news... would this have happened anyway. 

5 years of expensive infighting and we're supposed to cheer the fact that some things aren't worse.  Brilliant.

18 hours ago, jimbo57 said:

All positive news sunny,especially from the JCB.I wish the weather was as good,it seems to have got worse over the last few days and gone a bit chilly.

Advert:

17 hours ago, For Us All said:

All positive news sunny,especially from the JCB.I wish the weather was as good,it seems to have got worse over the last few days and gone a bit chilly.

Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms or supports one's prior beliefs or values.[1] People display this bias when they select information that supports their views, ignoring contrary information, or when they interpret ambiguous evidence as supporting their existing attitudes. The effect is strongest for desired outcomes, for emotionally charged issues, and for deeply entrenched beliefs. Confirmation bias cannot be eliminated entirely, but it can be managed, for example, by education and training in critical thinking skills.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/apr/08/northern-ireland-unrest-why-violence-broken-out

What is the background to the unrest?

Tensions in loyalist communists have been heightened since Brexit checks came into force in January but there is a wider unease in the unionist community that the constitutional position of Northern Ireland, one of four countries in the UK, has been put under threat by the Brexit settlement.