• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Beyond Brexit - A new dawn? A leap of faith?

Aussie Rules

46 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

Shall I tell you who else confirms the figure is true?

It's Paul's very own ONS of course:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/compendium/unitedkingdombalanceofpaymentsthepinkbook/2015-10-30/unitedkingdombalanceofpaymentsthepinkbook

If anyone would care to go to Chapter 9 of their 2015 pink book, an excel download, it details the UK transactions with the EU. They list the gross figure at £19.3b (£371m per week) and the net at £11.2b (£215m per week).

So now we have:

The high court

The EU

The ONS

All confirming that the £350m AS A GROSS FIGURE is not only correct, but actually they have lowballed it a bit if anything.

As we've proven a million times on this website, the only criticism you can fire at that figure is that it wasn't clear whether it was net or gross. Given that it was 100% accurate as a gross figure then I don't see how anyone was intentionally trying to deceive anyone?

The high court chucked this one in the bin once, what is the point in going over it again?

The 5th and 6th paragraphs of the UK ONS document say,

"In 2018 the UK’s gross contribution to the EU amounted to £20.0 billion; however, this amount of money was never actually transferred to the EU. It is best thought of as a theoretical liability.

This is because before the UK government transfers any money to the EU, the adjustment (or abatement) is applied".

350m GBP was never transferred to the EU or available for the NHS, it was a hypothetical figure from which rebates and  refunds were deducted before the final amount to be paid was arrived at and then paid.

Regal, you're done and busted on this one.

Edited by Paul6754

Advert:

5 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

I minority thought it was a good idea to leave. A slightly smaller minority wanted to stay. Another minority didn’t express an opinion!

As we all belong to one minority or another can we all scream hate crime when the abuse starts?

9 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

The 5th and 6th paragraphs of the UK ONS document say,

"In 2018 the UK’s gross contribution to the EU amounted to £20.0 billion; however, this amount of money was never actually transferred to the EU. It is best thought of as a theoretical liability.

This is because before the UK government transfers any money to the EU, the adjustment (or abatement) is applied".

350m GBP was never transferred to the EU or available for the NHS, it was a hypothetical figure from which rebates and  refunds were deducted before the final amount to be paid was arrived at and then paid.

Regal, you're done and busted on this one.

Thanks for finally agreeing with us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hallelujah.

Done and dusted? Chance would be a fine thing?!

As a gross figure, our membership has cost as much as £20bn a year - Now confirmed by Paul of OVF, the high court, the EU and the ONS.

NOW can we please put this one to bed? 😂

7 hours ago, geosname said:

As we all belong to one minority or another can we all scream hate crime when the abuse starts?

No because definitions of racism are specific to certain races and therefore in order to not be racist we should apply the law differently to people of colour.

This is literally what leftists say by the way. Can we agree that having a different law for black people to white people is a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE backwards step and is literally as racist as you can get in a society?

12 hours ago, For Us All said:

No it wasn't a lie,the high court said so.

We did send £350 million a week to the EU but we never said whether it was gross or net.

It's all in the detail.

But that is the whole point. We DIDN’T send £350 million a week to the EU. We actually “sent” the amount we owed after all the rebates. We have never been responsible for £350 million NET to the EU. 

Advert:

16 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

I minority thought it was a good idea to leave. A slightly smaller minority wanted to stay. Another minority didn’t express an opinion!

now I am old, in fact when I started school their was a big pile of dumped slates in the corner of the school yard, we were taught that 100% is it, hence 50% is half, are you keeping up?, so if 52% of the vote, voted leave, then with it being over 50% I would say it was a majority... regards the "another minority didn't express an opinion", well that's there fault,  those ill or infirmed had postal votes, so the rest were too idle to go to the ballot box or too sure that the remain vote would win hands down, so did not bother...

2 minutes ago, Davebrad said:

now I am old, in fact when I started school their was a big pile of dumped slates in the corner of the school yard, we were taught that 100% is it, hence 50% is half, are you keeping up?, so if 52% of the vote, voted leave, then with it being over 50% I would say it was a majority... regards the "another minority didn't express an opinion", well that's there fault,  those ill or infirmed had postal votes, so the rest were too idle to go to the ballot box or too sure that the remain vote would win hands down, so did not bother...

Dave, you miss my point.  I was simply replying to your question "Second, where do you get "a minority thought it was a good idea to leave" from? "  It is an indisputable fact that a minority of the population voted to leave the EU.  It is also an indisputable fact that a majority of those who voted also voted to leave the EU.  This is nothing to do with your random pile of slates, it is simply facts. 

18 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Dave, you miss my point.  I was simply replying to your question "Second, where do you get "a minority thought it was a good idea to leave" from? "  It is an indisputable fact that a minority of the population voted to leave the EU.  It is also an indisputable fact that a majority of those who voted also voted to leave the EU.  This is nothing to do with your random pile of slates, it is simply facts. 

I was questioning Fosse69's post where he stated "why the interest in a organisation a minority thought it a good idea to leave", and it is a simple fact that in this case the minority was a majority of those who voted...  that is why we left, Democracy.

17 minutes ago, Davebrad said:

I was questioning Fosse69's post where he stated "why the interest in a organisation a minority thought it a good idea to leave", and it is a simple fact that in this case the minority was a majority of those who voted...  that is why we left, Democracy.

A minority of the electorate voted to leave, the lack of a threshold allowed it to be decisive. Nothing unusual in the UK, most national decisions are made by a minority, then spouted as democratic majorities. 

Advert:

1 hour ago, Davebrad said:

It's a 3 way split mate and no matter which way or even if you voted you belong to the minority compared with the "collective" other two.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Regal Beagle said:

No because definitions of racism are specific to certain races and therefore in order to not be racist we should apply the law differently to people of colour.

This is literally what leftists say by the way. Can we agree that having a different law for black people to white people is a HUGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE backwards step and is literally as racist as you can get in a society?

I thought only white people could be racist......

4 hours ago, Davebrad said:

You are correct of course.

They're just trying to change the rules of the game after the result because they didn't like the defeat.

• Like 1

Advert:

5 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

But that is the whole point. We DIDN’T send £350 million a week to the EU. We actually “sent” the amount we owed after all the rebates. We have never been responsible for £350 million NET to the EU. 

We know this Jacko, it's what we've been trying to explain to you lot for years now. It seems you have finally agreed with us today as well.

The whole point is that the EU were responsible for £350m of UK funds. They told us where the rebates must be spent. That is why the gross figure was justified in the eyes of vote leave.

Now that we're out of the EU, we will have roughly £210b MORE funds, plus £140b+ of our own money which we can spend how we wish. Whether or not we physically transfered £140b only for them to physically send it back is not the point. That's a deliberate misinterpretation.

Was it a lie? Definitely not

Was it measleading? perhaps slightly

Was it sales puff in a political campaign? 100%

Did the remain side do as bad if not worse? 100%

6 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Here's an example of a leaver saying that the £350 million was all extra money.

On 04/07/2016 at 19:30, Regal Beagle said:

No one was voting for £350 million to the NHS.

No one is stupid enough to believe that, that was a serious suggestion, it was a campaign slogen, an advertisement of what we could do with the extra money. It was not a lie.