• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Beyond Brexit - A new dawn? A leap of faith?

Aussie Rules

3 hours ago, Andyregs said:

It was accurate. You’re just doing your usually trick of arguing something irrelevant to the point. 

It wasn't accurate, it was an over simplistic statement to support your view.

Politics is a brutal, adversarial, combative no contact sport that takes no prisoners. The winners take the prize, power, and the losers get to sit on the sidelines throwing abuse and the odd spanner into the works...... if they can avoid tearing themselves apart as they wait for the next contest.

There are the smaller parties..... the peacocks..... but that's like throwing lamb chops into the arena with the lions and the christians. 

Advert:

On 13/02/2021 at 12:49, geosname said:

It wasn't accurate, it was an over simplistic statement to support your view.

Politics is a brutal, adversarial, combative no contact sport that takes no prisoners. The winners take the prize, power, and the losers get to sit on the sidelines throwing abuse and the odd spanner into the works...... if they can avoid tearing themselves apart as they wait for the next contest.

There are the smaller parties..... the peacocks..... but that's like throwing lamb chops into the arena with the lions and the christians. 

It was accurate in the context of what I was saying. Unless you don’t believe we (as in the population) choose who runs the country. If you want to argue about the pros and cons of what voting system we use (again which we chose to keep), then start a thread. When I said that ‘you get the politicians you vote for’, it was meant as the country get who they voted for. The country voted for the government we got. Unless you believe the conservatives are an illegitimate government then what I said was accurate. All you ever want to do is argue irrelevant technicalities without ever offering an opinion, insight or anything of relevance. It’s just tiring.

Advert:

2 hours ago, Andyregs said:

It was accurate in the context of what I was saying. Unless you don’t believe we (as in the population) choose who runs the country. If you want to argue about the pros and cons of what voting system we use (again which we chose to keep), then start a thread. When I said that ‘you get the politicians you vote for’, it was meant as the country get who they voted for. The country voted for the government we got. Unless you believe the conservatives are an illegitimate government then what I said was accurate. All you ever want to do is argue irrelevant technicalities without ever offering an opinion, insight or anything of relevance. It’s just tiring.

I don't believe the voters choose the government they get. Voters choose from a list of people to represent their constituency in parliament. The system employed determines which party is in power who in turn form the government.

The majority of the electorate don't vote for the party who gain power. As such the system determines who governs.

Changing to a PR system wouldn't change that fact.

The first past the post system isn't ideal but it's the one used.

If you discard the number of people who didn't vote only 40% of voters chose Tory. Therefore it's inacurate to state people got the party they voted for.  They did get what the system allowed.

It works exactly the same if Labour win.

19 hours ago, jimbo57 said:

The pound is up. Stock market is up. We've given the jab to nearly 16,000,000 while in the whole of the EU they've barely managed a couple of million.

Another good Brexit day.

The pound is up because recently released inflation rates are above the consensus Covid forecasts. 

The Stock Market is still yet to get back to it's Pre Covid peak. The FTSE is at 6,739 vs pre Covid of 7,404.

The Vaccination roll out was not impacted in any way by Brexit.

But when your are desperate for some good news I guess you will grasp at anything

🙂

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

The pound is up because recently released inflation rates are above the consensus Covid forecasts. 

The Stock Market is still yet to get back to it's Pre Covid peak. The FTSE is at 6,739 vs pre Covid of 7,404.

The Vaccination roll out was not impacted in any way by Brexit.

But when your are desperate for some good news I guess you will grasp at anything

🙂

The pound is up due to much improved expectations in economic growth.

The Stock Market is up, in spite of Covid and Stock Market downturns in the EU.

And if you don't think our incredible vaccination record has nothing to do with us leaving the EU, then you can go and play with the fairies at the bottom of your garden tonight.

• Like 1

Advert:

7 minutes ago, jimbo57 said:

The pound is up due to much improved expectations in economic growth.

Vs Covid forecast 

7 minutes ago, jimbo57 said:

The Stock Market is up, in spite of Covid and Stock Market downturns in the EU.

Stock Markets in Europe and the UK moved independently of each other when we were in the EU.

The Stockmarket has yet to reach its pre Covid levels (see previously quoted numbers)

9 minutes ago, jimbo57 said:

And if you don't think our incredible vaccination record has nothing to do with us leaving the EU, then you can go and play with the fairies at the bottom of your garden tonight.

Our vaccination record is Amazing I agree and have praised it multiple times.

It is not however this good because we left Europe. Had we been in the EU it would have been the same as were never tied into their vaccine scheme.

21 hours ago, jimbo57 said:

The pound is up. Stock market is up.

And? Does that prove anything? If it was projected to go up 5% before brexit but it goes up 1% is that proof of success? 

14 minutes ago, jimbo57 said:

Well if it’s so obvious, then explain what part of our vaccine plan we couldn’t have put into place if we hadn’t have had brexit. Your argument here is a bit damning, when the big success of brexit is something that didn’t need brexit.

Advert: