Beyond Brexit - A new dawn? A leap of faith?

Aussie Rules

30 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:
1 hour ago, Joe B said:
Will happily say that this EU-vaccine issue is a tangible benefit to Brexit. What a mess.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/25/eu-threatens-to-block-covid-vaccine-exports-amid-astrazeneca-shortfall

The EU don't make any vaccines, seems a private company have sold more than they can make. I am just hoping that I get my 2nd jab from within the EU borders.

Would you care where it came from if it saved your life?

Advert:

On 24/01/2021 at 15:30, Iron Curtain said:

The HMRC estimates that Brexit demands that British companies complete 215m additional, often highly complex, documents a year with a mirroring amount of extra paperwork also being generated by EU counter-parties. The cost of that alone on British businesses is thought to be around £7bn a year. 

Companies like the Cheshire Cheese company from Macc, are being advised to move to France to avoid extra tarrifs. Did Doris and Mogg etc not see this coming or is this another in the long list of lies.

• Like 1

Advert:

23 hours ago, hillmanhunter said:

No, it shows what the EU solved. I lived in Switzerland and Swiss-EU paperwork was also very complicated even with Switzerland being in The Single Market. Also, The VAT problems with imports and exports that we are now experiencing are exactly the same in Switzerland.

A good friend of mine and his wife live just outside Geneva on the lake on the Swiss side. When he orders something from amazon he has it sent to his wife's father who lives just over the border in France. If he didn't have a French address to send stuff to he wouldn't be using amazon as import costs far too high as Switzerland dont have an amazon delivery service. I imagine it will be similar here (for companies without a UK base) 

4 hours ago, WV said:

A good friend of mine and his wife live just outside Geneva on the lake on the Swiss side. When he orders something from amazon he has it sent to his wife's father who lives just over the border in France. If he didn't have a French address to send stuff to he wouldn't be using amazon as import costs far too high as Switzerland dont have an amazon delivery service. I imagine it will be similar here (for companies without a UK base) 

Yes, exactly this. Amazon don't have a Swiss store. It's either because it's all too much hassle even for them or that Switzerland is being punished by the nasty evil EU  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/28/samantha-cameron-business-hit-by-post-brexit-teething-issues

David Cameron's wife n how Brexit is making life difficult for small businesses, including her own.

Another concrete example of Brexit making someone's life worse.

Some snippets:

Speaking to Radio 4’s Woman’s Hour, she said: “If you’re bringing goods into the country from outside the UK and then trying to sell them back into Europe, that currently is challenging and difficult.”

Echoing the current Brexit concerns of many small businesses about red tape and extra charges, Cameron said: “We really thought we’d done our prep and this … we weren’t expecting. So I think for bigger business, it’s fine. But if you’re small, it’s a challenge.”

In an apparent swipe at government advisers who suggested that British businesses that export to the continent should set up separate companies inside the EU, Cameron said: “We can’t afford to have warehouses in Europe and that sort of thing.”

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/jan/28/samantha-cameron-business-hit-by-post-brexit-teething-issues

David Cameron's wife n how Brexit is making life difficult for small businesses, including her own.

Some snippets:

Speaking to Radio 4’s Woman’s Hour, she said: “If you’re bringing goods into the country from outside the UK and then trying to sell them back into Europe, that currently is challenging and difficult.”

Echoing the current Brexit concerns of many small businesses about red tape and extra charges, Cameron said: “We really thought we’d done our prep and this … we weren’t expecting. So I think for bigger business, it’s fine. But if you’re small, it’s a challenge.”

In an apparent swipe at government advisers who suggested that British businesses that export to the continent should set up separate companies inside the EU, Cameron said: “We can’t afford to have warehouses in Europe and that sort of thing.”

The sheer scale of our interconnections within the EU countries was never considered, and it is only trade we are discussing now.

Advert:

On 28/01/2021 at 21:56, Iron Curtain said:

Some snippets:

Sorry but I think using Cameron's wife as a brexit example won't get much sympathy.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

Ok replace with the hundreds of other British firms that are being stung for tariffs, some having to transfer to the EU others just going out of business.

Im not knocking the crux of the argument just doubting brexiteers or remainers give a rat's ass about the Cameron's. 

Having started the ball rolling then jumping off because he didn't get the result he wanted doesn't create a lot of interest in his plight.

• Thanks 2

32 minutes ago, geosname said:

Sorry but I think using Cameron's wife as a brexit example won't get much sympathy.

She also said that "There were teething problems and I'm sure there are ways of sorting it out" 

The Guardian conveniently missed that last bit out in their article?

Advert:

51 minutes ago, For Us All said:

She also said that "There were teething problems and I'm sure there are ways of sorting it out" 

No they didn’t, it’s its in the article. You just made that up.

The actual quote is that it needs to be looked at.

It [teething issues] does need to be looked at because otherwise we can’t grow our business. It is frustrating, the majority of our business is in the UK and we do a bit of business in America, but we did have a bit of EU business. And obviously you’d like to grow it, because it’s on your doorstep. But unless some of the expense and cost of doing that is looked at it will be challenging.”

54 minutes ago, For Us All said:

The Guardian also said it was 'unforgivable' that Boris shunned the EU's vaccine scheme when deciding to source the UK's supply independently.