Beyond Brexit - A new dawn? A leap of faith?

On 21/10/2020 at 11:45, For Us All said:

If we flex our mussels,stop carping on and ignore Salmon and Sturgeon I'm sure things will turn out brill.We are in a good plaice at the moment but if the EU aren't willing to compromise we should be prepared to tell them pollacks and walk away.

We are in a good place!!!   Man what are you on?

• Like 1

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There's a difference between not accepting the result and not agreeing with the result.  I accepted it would happen but that doesn't make me think it's the right thing to do.  The Brexiteers have been

Grammar.

I hope Brexit is everything that has been promised.  I am long enough in the tooth to realise that the people making those promises have made a career from telling lies without shame. The result

Posted Images

7 hours ago, For Us All said:

Oh dear!I'm wasting my time here.

Will someone please explain to TT what a plaice is? 🐡😀

I suspect you are refering to a strong (good) position 're negotiations and wider trade.

In not convinced it's as good as some think but it's not bad at the moment if the goal is to get a better deal than is being offered.

As the old saying goes...... if you have them by the balls they aren't going to run far.

Yes, that's the one. 

He's deleted more idiotic tweets than I've had hot dinners.

Another example of his genius was earlier on this year when he said "Corona virus isn't going to kill you....it's all alarmism, doom mongering and panic."

The sad thing is he's given a platform by the tax haven Barclay brothers to air his views in the daily press and even gets invited onto the BBC at times,

And you wonder how we got ourselves into this mess.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Wowsers!

Just 10 of 9,444 products will enjoy lower taxes, experts say, a list of obscure items such as birds’ eggs, raw hides, fur skins, handbags and ultra-strong spirits of at least 90 per cent alcohol.

Crucially, none of the 10 have been sold to Japan for at least three years – which means the gain to British exporters is “zero”, the study has found.“

Edited by Iron Curtain

If you want to be totally negative but if you read the whole story it does say there are very minor changes from what we had when an EU membership. So in other words we will have what we had before and if we seal that with every other country we had a deal with when being members of the EU we will be in a far better place.

While welcome, the changes were “very minor” in comparison with the existing deal the UK enjoyed with Japan through EU membership – which is being lost because of Brexit.

4 hours ago, philpvfc said:

If you want to be totally negative but if you read the whole story it does say there are very minor changes from what we had when an EU membership. So in other words we will have what we had before and if we seal that with every other country we had a deal with when being members of the EU we will be in a far better place.

While welcome, the changes were “very minor” in comparison with the existing deal the UK enjoyed with Japan through EU membership – which is being lost because of Brexit.

So just to be clear:

If we do 70 new trade deals with countries on the same terms as the existing trade deals that we already had with those countries, plus the others for the other 20+ countries that are  being ratified now (we're up to nearly 100 trade deals now if you are keeping count), then we will be in a far better place?

7 minutes ago, The_godfather said:

So just to be clear:

If we do 70 new trade deals with countries on the same terms as the existing trade deals that we already had with those countries, plus the others for the other 20+ countries that are  being ratified now (we're up to nearly 100 trade deals now if you are keeping count), then we will be in a far better place?

Brilliant isn't it.  All this to re-invent the wheel.

Japan could have sent us all a bottle of Sake and nice bluefin tuna roll and a million yen each and remainers would be kicking off about lower tax animal pelts or something.

Just bitter that this thing they told us was impossible, it turns out, is very possible. 

"Re-inventing the wheel".

The new wheel will be square one. We won't be significantly better or worse off if we negotiate the same terms as we had under the EU, BUT then we can negotiate with any other country and we can re-negotiate with Japan to as appropriate.

Not only that, but if your whole objection to brexit was based on being worse off in trade deals, then it turns out that we're not going to be worse off at least as a default position, then surely youd' have to conclude that brexit is probably a good thing considering a majority of this country don't want to be goverened by the EU? - The primary reason driving most of the brexit votes however much remainers don't want to discuss it.