onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Squad Depth?

TylerB

I really don't see how some people here and also in the stands complain about our squad, and especially with the budget.we have. I think Askey has genuinely done every bit as well as anyone could realistically expect. 

Brown

Gibbons

Smith

Legge

Montano

Joyce

Oyeleke

Taylor

Worrall

Amoo

Pope

Subs: Maddison, Brisley, Clark, Conlon, Burgess, Bennett, Cullen

That looks a very strong possible 11 to me while also having a very strong subs bench. I couldn't find a space for Crooks, Browne and Atkinson. Yes, when we get two or three injuries we obviously suffer a bit but I'm pretty sure that will be the same for 90% of the teams in this league. The one thing we do lack is goals in the side, but that's more to do I think with the way Askey plays as we rarely have two up front unless we're trying to get back in a game. So for the love of God please don't talk about squad depth like we don't have any good options outside what most would consider our best 11, as it's complete nonsense. 

As potential starters every week when fit and available I think the jury is still out on Bennett and Cullen. The former because of his inconsistency and the latter because he seems to have fitness issues, perhaps because of his previous injury record. And obviously Pope isn't getting any younger and can't be relied on to start every week. I think that's the one area that can be improved - But finding a goalscorer is something every side in the league strives for and certainly isn't easy. But Pope, Bennett and Cullen are still a far cry better than what we've had for a good number of years.

Advert

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

I really don't see how some people here and also in the stands complain about our squad, and especially with the budget.we have. I think Askey has genuinely done every bit as well as anyone could realistically expect. 

Brown

Gibbons

Smith

Legge

Montano

Joyce

Oyeleke

Taylor

Worrall

Amoo

Pope

Subs: Maddison, Brisley, Clark, Conlon, Burgess, Bennett, Cullen

That looks a very strong possible 11 to me while also having a very strong subs bench. I couldn't find a space for Crooks, Browne and Atkinson. Yes, when we get two or three injuries we obviously suffer a bit but I'm pretty sure that will be the same for 90% of the teams in this league. The one thing we do lack is goals in the side, but that's more to do I think with the way Askey plays as we rarely have two up front unless we're trying to get back in a game. So for the love of God please don't talk about squad depth like we don't have any good options outside what most would consider our best 11, as it's complete nonsense. 

As potential starters every week when fit and available I think the jury is still out on Bennett and Cullen. The former because of his inconsistency and the latter because he seems to have fitness issues, perhaps because of his previous injury record. And obviously Pope isn't getting any younger and can't be relied on to start every week. I think that's the one area that can be improved - But finding a goalscorer is something every side in the league strives for and certainly isn't easy. But Pope, Bennett and Cullen are still a far cry better than what we've had for a good number of years.

The fanbase collectively soiled itself when our reserves were turned over at Salford in the Leasing.

In reality, Conlon, Atkinson, Cullen, Bennett, Brown, and Brisley have over a thousand EFL appearances between them and rarely start regularly. Crooks, Conlon, and Browne especially are still of an age where they could improve significantly.

The lads who we haven't mentioned (Evans, Lloyd etc) seem to be alright with earning their money without kicking up a fuss; solid professionals here to do a job should an opening arise. Any squad needs a few individuals like this.

The squad is night and day from the omnishambles of the last 3 years. There is still work to be done but the building blocks are in place.

13 minutes ago, Joe B said:

The fanbase collectively soiled itself when our reserves were turned over at Salford in the Leasing.

By their reserves. It was a poor effort. No self soiling. Just statement of fact. Pointing out we were poor in a game does not equate with woe is me the end of the world is nigh. Our second string had done well in the paint pot up until then.

It happens. But saying a  bad performance was a bad performance is not being down on the club. Just a statement of fact. Even Askey said we were poor. 

9 minutes ago, toyahw said:

By their reserves. It was a poor effort. No self soiling. Just statement of fact. Pointing out we were poor in a game does not equate with woe is me the end of the world is nigh. Our second string had done well in the paint pot up until then.

It happens. But saying a  bad performance was a bad performance is not being down on the club. Just a statement of fact. Even Askey said we were poor. 

You've misinterpreted me. Never claimed the performance was good. Just the reaction to it and/or takes from the night.

I wasted my night watching that shower of a performance, and I criticised them heavily for it. Nothing wrong with pointing out a bad game.

Just loads of claims of 'squad depth is bad' became accepted fact, when in reality it was an overreaction of a few to a bad night. Our squad depth isn't bad. It isn't fantastic, but we have FL experienced players not getting a game.

I’m still convinced that Manny could be the DM destroyer if required. He said he is comfortable anywhere in the midfield 3 at the supporters club tonight. 

I like the look of Manny, Taylor and Burgess as a dynamic midfield 3. That’s no disrespect to Joyce, but given he is 33 soon, I’m looking at the future. 

3 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

I’m still convinced that Manny could be the DM destroyer if required. He said he is comfortable anywhere in the midfield 3 at the supporters club tonight. 

I like the look of Manny, Taylor and Burgess as a dynamic midfield 3. That’s no disrespect to Joyce, but given he is 33 soon, I’m looking at the future. 

I put that out there here recently and was torn a second arse hole for leaving Joyce out haha! I love Joycey was much as anyone but there has to be game in the future where he's not an automatic choice for the starting 11. I love the look of Oyeleke, Burgess and Taylor in midfield just as long as Oyeleke can stay disciplined. Though perhaps he would be somewhat wasted not being able to get forward at every opportunity, But for now with his return, let's just be content that we have four very good options in the middle of the park. And there's Tom Conlon too who's a more than decent player himself and an excellent squad player.

13 minutes ago, Joe B said:

You've misinterpreted me. Never claimed the performance was good. Just the reaction to it and/or takes from the night.

I wasted my night watching that shower of a performance, and I criticised them heavily for it. Nothing wrong with pointing out a bad game.

Just loads of claims of 'squad depth is bad' became accepted fact, when in reality it was an overreaction of a few to a bad night. Our squad depth isn't bad. It isn't fantastic, but we have FL experienced players not getting a game.

I think we more have a bit of a problem that when the second string come in they are lacking match sharpness. Possibly due to the lack of second string games these days. It's obviously taken Brisley a game or three to get up to speed. But thought he was really good Tues, after a few poor efforts. It's understandable.

7 minutes ago, TylerB said:

I put that out there here recently and was torn a second arse hole for leaving Joyce out haha! I love Joycey was much as anyone but there has to be game in the future where he's not an automatic choice for the starting 11. I love the look of Oyeleke, Burgess and Taylor in midfield just as long as Oyeleke can stay disciplined. Though perhaps he would be somewhat wasted not being able to get forward at every opportunity, But for now with his return, let's just be content that we have four very good options in the middle of the park. And there's Tom Conlon too who's a more than decent player himself and an excellent squad player.

You look at what Grant did to us at Swindon. He cut us open from DM. I think Manny could do that for us. 

1 minute ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

You look at what Grant did to us at Swindon. He cut us open from DM. I think Manny could do that for us. 

Very true. I'm sure Taylor and/or Burgess would be intelligent enough not to bomb forward when they see Oyeleke on the charge so we're not caught on the counter.

Clark’s addition frees up Monty to be moved  forward if necessary and IMO it also pushes players like Evans and Browne further down the pecking order too. Wouldn’t be surprised to see someone else go out on loan maybe to get game time at least. 

Despite all the groaning I've just added up 19 players who are at least ok at this level. I think we lack a little in gold dust players but:

Brown, Gibbons, Crookes, Joyce, Worrall, Legge, Oyeleke, Pope, Conlon, Montano, Atkinson, Cullen, Smith, Taylor, Amoo, Burgess, Bennett, Clark, Brisley

That's a pretty decent starting point for a promotion push next season.  One or two will leave with at least as many coming in. At the top of their individual games they have all shown they are capable of being justifiable selections at times this season.

20 hours ago, JRC said:

Despite all the groaning I've just added up 19 players who are at least ok at this level. I think we lack a little in gold dust players but:

Brown, Gibbons, Crookes, Joyce, Worrall, Legge, Oyeleke, Pope, Conlon, Montano, Atkinson, Cullen, Smith, Taylor, Amoo, Burgess, Bennett, Clark, Brisley

That's a pretty decent starting point for a promotion push next season.  One or two will leave with at least as many coming in. At the top of their individual games they have all shown they are capable of being justifiable selections at times this season.

Could lose Crookes, Atkinson, Cullen, Bennett & Brisley & I wouldn't be too fussed. Despite a few decent performances between them, all fringe quality players for a L2 side chasing automatic, if that's what we will be next season. No doubt lose Taylor & Clark but would be great if they gave them back to us for another season if all goes well.

Still, a base of those 12 remaining players would be ideal to build for a promotion challenge.

Archived