onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Carols statement tonight...........

Mario

He who pays the piper calls the tune......

I prefer the melodious tones of our present owners compared to the cacophony of cack from their predecessor.

If you want a bespoke tailored suit and found the tailor of your choice wasn't available for a few weeks would you rush to Primark for a pair of shorts and a T shirt As a replacement ?

Advert

7 hours ago, geosname said:

He who pays the piper calls the tune......

I prefer the melodious tones of our present owners compared to the cacophony of cack from their predecessor.

If you want a bespoke tailored suit and found the tailor of your choice wasn't available for a few weeks would you rush to Primark for a pair of shorts and a T shirt As a replacement ?

👍

12 hours ago, PV1973 said:

My “fawning over them comment” is more an observation that fans have been quick to praise them, sometimes it’s been a bit over the top IMO, but I think it’s fair to say that fans will turn quickly and that goodwill won’t go far with some of the moaners. 

I distinctly remember the fawning over NS when he became sole owner. This is not a "I know better" point (as gawd knows I've been wrong on many occasions) but I couldn't see why some prominent fans/members of the media were thinking he was brilliant in booting out his business partner (who arguably had changed the image of the club in his time). It soon turned out to be a false dawn and those who were promoting NS as the best thing ever soon became his fiercest critics. So, I agree that it's very easy for fans to get carried away in both directions - either too enthusiastic or too pessimistic.

For me, I think there are a lot of people wanting this club to run before it walks. We may be a "few players" away from the play-offs but if those players are not available or too expensive I can understand a longer-term view of leaving it till the summer.

For me, I am delighted with the progress this club has made under the Shanahans - honest and open communication, a better workplace for all the staff, improvements off the pitch, innovative ventures such as the RW concert and less of a hair trigger approach to events on the pitch.

If we look at where we were just six months ago I think we've come a massive way. I think there's long term plans both on and off the pitch and while it would obviously be nice to get into the play-offs this season if we don't I still have every confidence that the club is going in the right direction.

Just a note on John Askey too - I have seen a lot of criticism of his summer signings but I think last summer will be the one to judge him on. I don't think many look at the circumstances this summer where he had to wait for new owners to complete their takeover, for new owners with no experience of running a club to give him a budget - and from that try and bring in better quality players. I don't think it's any coincidence that not all of them have worked in those circumstances but even saying that - he's still managed to turn Vale from a relegation threatened side to a top-half side. That's no mean feat considering the circumstances he worked under. In the next summer with the Man City cash, stable ownership and more time it could be a different story.

Essentially the long and short of the stat is that we've only been in the ranking 68-92nd in the country a small fraction of our history or the 4th level if you like so we should aim to be higher but as mentioned before the reason we are here is down to one person who is no longer here.

Carol and Kevin have been a breath of fresh air and care and will turn us back around to where we should really be.

14 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

What I will say however is...what would fans be saying if Smurfwaite had brought in no players? 

I think its too simplistic to compare the situation and swap in our old disaster of an owner.

Surely as grown ups and adults we would consider the context and reasoning of the decision and whether the owner was doing the right thing for the club.

Wouldnt we? 

20 hours ago, Essex Vale said:

I am very sorry Sir I have absolutely no idea what your post means. You use the term majority, which I did not. I am afraid I cannot answer your question because I do not understand it.

VFIA said we’d spent most of our history in the bottom tier.

I posted that was nonsense. Nowhere near. 

You then posted that everyone was wrong and that we’d spent about 1/3rd of our history in this horrific league.

How was I wrong? How is 1/3rd most of 3/3?  

16 hours ago, PV1973 said:

My “fawning over them comment” is more an observation that fans have been quick to praise them, sometimes it’s been a bit over the top IMO 

You do realise they spent £5m on a business worth at the time only a fraction of that, as a ransom payment under duress to a SCUMBAG threatening to eviscerate and destroy the business out of spite? 

The Shanahans can do what they want in my view.

but I think it’s fair to say that fans will turn quickly and that goodwill won’t go far with some of the moaners.

If those “fans” are aware of the fact above and still kick off then we’re permanently better off without them. 

Reminder that one of the loudest moaners also supports Liverpool.

WTF is that about?

You can’t support two clubs. Not allowed. Banned. You’re either a proper Vale fan or a two club ******, no way around it. I’m deadly serious about that last bit.

Going on and on and on and on about the transfer window, tagging Carol in social media posts whinging about the RW concert while 5 mins before posting about their support for Liverpool.

What a gimp. 

22 minutes ago, Doha said:

Reminder that one of the loudest moaners also supports Liverpool.

WTF is that about?

You can’t support two clubs. Not allowed. Banned. You’re either a proper Vale fan or a two club ******, no way around it. I’m deadly serious about that last bit.

Going on and on and on and on about the transfer window, tagging Carol in social media posts whinging about the RW concert while 5 mins before posting about their support for Liverpool.

What a gimp. 

It's probably his default position if Vale lose a game?

49 minutes ago, Doha said:

You do realise they spent £5m on a business worth at the time only a fraction of that, as a ransom payment under duress to a SCUMBAG threatening to eviscerate and destroy the business out of spite? 

The Shanahans can do what they want in my view.

If those “fans” are aware of the fact above and still kick off then we’re permanently better off without them. 

Not sure what you were getting at but my whole point was fans who were very quick to lavish praise on the new owners will also be very quick to turn against them if things don’t go the way that some fans will expect. On the flip side I think the owners who were also enjoying basking in the positivity of the takeover will probably need to take a step back when the moaners start up and the insults start to fly. Because getting involved with fans when they are being negative could potentially quickly go downhill. 

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

Not sure what you were getting at but my whole point was fans who were very quick to lavish praise on the new owners will also be very quick to turn against them if things don’t go the way that some fans will expect.

Then, in lieu of the £5m hostage payment, those fans are thick as ****.

17 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

I think we are sensible in not getting players in January and in no way does that reflect on the owners. 

I wish we’d get a new left back, but I personally cannot name anyone suitable. 

What I will say however is...what would fans be saying if Smurfwaite had brought in no players? 

Let’s be honest to ourselves here, we’d be pretty annoyed. 

I would be thankful if Smurthwaite hadn't brought any players in. The players he brought to the club were in general garbage players who the manager didn't want.

Archived