Match Thread: Port Vale v Exeter City

Woeful first half where the attitude was all wrong. Second half we've shown up and look a far better side than Exeter despite the league positions and the fact that we're missing key players.

Bennett showed he can be a real handful, though he will never be prolific as long as he's got a hole in his arse, and Amoo looking one of the best players in League Two.

Just to note, Brisley has played well and looks a decent third-choice centre-back.

Edited by TylerB

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So we have played the top 2 inside 4 days, lost one of our best players, had our talisman suspended for one of them and come out with 3 points... I think a few need to give Askey some credit beca

The outstanding feature about tonight for me was the teams ability to come out in the 2nd half and turn the game on it's head,the cross field ball to switch play from Conlon and find Amoo was sublime,

Fantastic second half from the lads last night. I can understand why some players were getting stick at HT. We were awful first half. But we have to remember we’ve only had one summer (where Caro

It was a positive that we were only 1-0 down and still in the game at half time. Not wanting to put a downer on it but another night we might not have been so lucky. But hey ho.

Edited by Santa

3 minutes ago, Santa said:

It was a positive that we were only 1-0 down and still in the game at half time. Not wanting to put a downer on it but another night we might not have been so lucky. But hey ho.

Yeah, but that was down to ourselves and our attitude more than anything. We started the game on the backfoot and didn't get going. Obviously they had a bit of a rocket at half-time and we've shown what a good side we all know we can be on our day in this second half. Need to be at it from the first minute at home though.

Edited by TylerB

The difference between a normal Amoo and a confident Amoo is nothing short of night and day. Different player altogether. JMW instead of Geohaghon.

Get him in with a sports psychologist at St Georges Park. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Doha said:

The difference between a normal Amoo and a confident Amoo is nothing short of night and day. Different player altogether. JMW instead of Geohaghon.

Get him in with a sports psychologist at St Georges Park. 

The only reason he's with us is his inconsistency.

Edited by TylerB

Incredible turn around!

Second half was one of the most complete performances of the season. First was one of the worst.

Have to say my mom would have been Brisley. I've given him stick for his performances so far but he was very good tonight.

Happy with the three points, happy for Bennett and Amoo who need confidence to push on!

So we have played the top 2 inside 4 days, lost one of our best players, had our talisman suspended for one of them and come out with 3 points...

I think a few need to give Askey some credit because he has dug out not just a cracking result but a good performance.

We were lucky, blah blah blah...  get over yourselves negative Nancies and support the bloody club.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

1 minute ago, Nofinikea said:

So we have played the top 2 inside 4 days, lost one of our best players, had our talisman suspended for one of them and come out with 3 points...

I think a few need to give Askey some credit because he has dug out not just a cracking result but a good performance.

We were lucky, blah blah blah...  get over yourselves negative Nancies and support the bloody club.

We were only lucky that we were still in the game at half-time after we did a no show, but in the 2nd half we battered them.

I heard some people saying when they saw the line up that Askey needs to go and that he was clueless for selecting the likes of Brisley and Bennett. As squad players both are fine and it's nice to see people contribute that wouldn't make our strongest 11 when everybody is fit and available.

Brilliant second half, it’s refreshing to see a reaction like that. We played with a lot more energy and desire. We are a far better team when we are on the front foot and getting in the oppositions faces. We made the most of our momentum and that’s when Worrall, Amoo, Burgess and Conlon started to impose themselves going forward. Credit to Bennett for his two goals, the jury is still out on him though I must admit. 

We’ve shown that we can be a good side in this division and that’s why performances such as the first half are so frustrating! 

19 minutes ago, PVFC764 said:

Frustrating team and that is why we love being Vale supporters.  It is never easy being a Vale supporter.  😉

I wish more people would share such a balanced post! We can look brilliant - and we can look dire...and, sometimes, both in the same game! We are not a poor team - results show that...but we can be a poor team - results show us that, also! From the start of the season, many people said finishing 18th - 14th would be an acceptable improvement over the last few years. Being almost safe, at the end of January, is more than we could have hoped for! I would love us to get in the playoffs...but I'm not sure we're strong enough to go up...and if we did, I'm pretty sure we'd come straight back down? So, for me, get the best players signed up on as long a deal as we can. Any "transfer" kitty left over - save to the Summer and let's build sensibly?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, SuperHuman said:

Brilliant second half, it’s refreshing to see a reaction like that. We played with a lot more energy and desire. We are a far better team when we are on the front foot and getting in the oppositions faces. We made the most of our momentum and that’s when Worrall, Amoo, Burgess and Conlon started to impose themselves going forward. Credit to Bennett for his two goals, the jury is still out on him though I must admit. 

We’ve shown that we can be a good side in this division and that’s why performances such as the first half are so frustrating! 

Comes with being a league Two side really. Exeter are 2nd, or were, and they could say that they were terrific in the first half and then shocking in the second. It's frustrating but football is very much a game of two halves and always will be to a large extent, regardless of what team you support.