onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Exeter City

Fosse69

23 hours ago, philmpv said:

I thought the attendance was a disgrace, personally. Perhaps people were saving their money for Saturday, and/or some had work, but still it was shocking. If nothing else, it does, for me, potentially show the very fickle nature of Vale supporters who pay on the day.

Interesting comment,  relevant to  season tickets following all the kerfuffle over the Man City game. I have a season ticket, have been times when I was pay on the day. It was freezing at the Vale , just after xmas , mid week game etc... so get the low attendance. That's why season tickets are so important money in the bag, and not dependent on other factors. Tickets for big games is  one of the few perks. Had a season ticket since the 5000 £180 offer, trust me there have been very few big games during those years.

Advert

23 hours ago, philmpv said:

I thought the attendance was a disgrace, personally. Perhaps people were saving their money for Saturday, and/or some had work, but still it was shocking. If nothing else, it does, for me, potentially show the very fickle nature of Vale supporters who pay on the day.

Nobody should feel obligated to attend a football match, regardless of our position, the weather conditions, price, whatever. Criticising our own fanbase is wrong & divisive IMO. For the hardcore lot (& Vale themselves), it should be all about positive reinforcement & promotion, talking our club & the product on offer up, rather than shaming the more casual fans for not attending. Does nothing for us whatsoever. Imagine if the club slated the fans on Facebook after Tuesday night because of how low the attendance was, couldn't see that attracting more?

I have a friend now 100% coming on Saturday due to letting them know how good Tuesday was (or at least 45 mins of it!) & what they missed out on.

Off topic but I find it a similar situation with certain vegans I've come across...in the way that I've always thought they should show people what's on offer more & the positive aspects of changing, rather than just getting aggressive & calling everyone murderers. Not going to win people over with behaviour like that.

55 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Nobody should feel obligated to attend a football match, regardless of our position, the weather conditions, price, whatever. Criticising our own fanbase is wrong & divisive IMO. For the hardcore lot (& Vale themselves), it should be all about positive reinforcement & promotion, talking our club & the product on offer up, rather than shaming the more casual fans for not attending. Does nothing for us whatsoever. Imagine if the club slated the fans on Facebook after Tuesday night because of how low the attendance was, couldn't see that attracting more?

I have a friend now 100% coming on Saturday due to letting them know how good Tuesday was (or at least 45 mins of it!) & what they missed out on.

Off topic but I find it a similar situation with certain vegans I've come across...in the way that I've always thought they should show people what's on offer more & the positive aspects of changing, rather than just getting aggressive & calling everyone murderers. Not going to win people over with behaviour like that.

I take the same view.

We often criticise 'the missing' fans, and whilst there was a good chunk who chose not to attend on Saturday, I don't think anyone has ever been successfully 'guilted' into attending a football match.

To people not brought up on the Vale, football is an unnecessary luxury in a city and at a time when money isn't flowing through the economy.

The only way to encourage people is winning games at home, having something to fight for, and relentlessly pushing the club in schools and youth organisations, as you're far more likely to convert a youngster who hasn't formed attachment yet, as opposed to an adult who doesn't have the time/energy to get involved with a club.

The baby steps are being made on this front through the Foundation, but if we win on Saturday and sit virtually in the top 7, attendances will rise.

The biggest thing for me from Tuesday was that we didn’t collapse when under prolonged pressure in the first half. We kept battling, despite being second best until half time, and didn’t give up.  In fact Exeter’s tactics after their goal probably helped as it seemed to wind our players, and fans, up.  I was a bit worried at one point that things would boil over and we’d end up having a player sent off.

Their keeper should’ve saved the penalty really.  One of the shorter keepers I’ve seen this season.  He got a fair bit of stick from behind his goal afterwards.  Whether this affected  him I don’t know, but he was partially at fault for at least one of the other goals.

Some have commented that this was the definitive “Game of Two Halves”, but it didn’t come close to the 4-4 v QPR in the 90’s.  At least this was far more exhilarating..  😂

On 29/01/2020 at 10:38, philmpv said:

Who knows? I thought it showed that many Vale fans are probably not earning enough to go twice in the week, particularly if they have families. I'm sure our new owners are aware of this and will make it as affordable as they can, so perhaps things will improve. Satdee's result can't have helped too much, despite our home record.

32 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

Who knows? I thought it showed that many Vale fans are probably not earning enough to go twice in the week, particularly if they have families. I'm sure our new owners are aware of this and will make it as affordable as they can, so perhaps things will improve. Satdee's result can't have helped too much, despite our home record.

Well we have a director responsible for ticketing now, perhaps a reduction for buying back to back home tickets? 

4 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Well we have a director responsible for ticketing now, perhaps a reduction for buying back to back home tickets?

I've seen suggestions of emailing etc, getting a database of fans and connecting with them regularly.

I always buy on line.

I get email confirmation.

I don't receive any other communication.

I would expect anyone with any marketing nous to address this and quickly.

Archived