onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Exeter City

Fosse69

Awful first half, which lacked heart and intensity. They were first to every ball. Atangana was running the show in midfield for them. Their pace on the wings was too much to handle. 
I really did fear the worst at half time. The first five minutes was no different, but the penalty decision turned everything on it’s head. Great finish by Bennett. Then David Amoo produced a mastercalss. He was running them ragged, he was being quick and direct, they really couldn’t handle him. I thought we fully deserved our second, Leon with a knee. At least it wasn’t in our goal this time. Then Bennett got his second, lovely worked play and it was a good deft header by the big man. Game won at this point, Exeter looked lost. 
Special mentions go to Brisley and Conlon. I’ll be the first to admit I’ve criticised them both, but I thought they were excellent last night. Conlon looked like his old self, and Brisley showed why he was a big part of County’s side two years ago.  
Altough Bennett scores twice, I’m still not convinced. Don’t get me wrong, his effort is second to none, but he really is a poor footballer. His hold up play is woeful and he can’t jump to save his life (he scored with a header I know). Pope’s hold up play in 10 minutes was miles better than Bennett’s in the whole game. 
Amoo and Woz turned it on in the second half. So did Gibbo and Monty. 
An all round pleasing display in the second half. I do genuinely think we could beat anyone at Vale Park. 
I’ve said previously, I think the play-offs is out our reach and I still think it is. However, if we carry on getting these wins then anything can happen. I’m just not going to be disappointed when it doesn’t happen because I genuinely don’t think it will. 
Massive game Saturday against Salford. Let’s pack the Park and get behind the boys. Hopefully we can get more than 3,300, that was very poor last night. I’ve seen higher on Tuesday night when we’ve been in a relegation scrap. 
Keep the faith! 

Advert

34 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Crowd 3,347.
Lowest ever recorded on the guess the crowd.
It was cold and we had no chance of winning, so perhaps not surprising. 🤔

I thought the attendance was a disgrace, personally. Perhaps people were saving their money for Saturday, and/or some had work, but still it was shocking. If nothing else, it does, for me, potentially show the very fickle nature of Vale supporters who pay on the day.

Perhaps a consequence of reaching safety this early in the season, with most not expecting to be pushing for the play offs.

It's tempting to think the season is over bar the shouting.

People turn up to witness drama more readily than steady evolution.

I enjoy the latter more, so have a regular pattern of attendance, but I suspect that's unusual outside those who go to virtually all the games.

I think that need for drama is what comes across on forums and social media generally.

It's instant gratification or bust.

6 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

It was very noticeable last night how virtually every long ball of theirs went down our left hand side trying to get behind us in that area. 

I noticed that too. They obviously identified Monty as a LW playing at LB, and sought to exploit it. His positioning, as a defender, still lets him down at times, but he's getting much better at it with experience, and he's been one of our better and most consistent players over the past couple of months, so full credit to him.

23 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

It was very noticeable last night how virtually every long ball of theirs went down our left hand side trying to get behind us in that area. 

They brought on Williams, #11 early second half on their right.

I thought to overload Monty.

20 minutes later, he'd been annihilated.

His runs in the last 15 minutes showed why he was there. Looked very dangerous and hit the post.

Just now, Jacko51 said:

Makes up for the offside one Morecambe got against us.  Perhaps these decisions do even themselves out!

Or the Bennett one first half when he would of been 1 on 1 which looked on, or the red card Bowman didn't get (all be it that seemed to finally fire us up!)

He was being criticised unfairly I thought. Yes it was his fault he got suspended and missed games but it's pretty common that footballers take a few games to get to the pace of games. When Conlon came back he hadn't played for a while and was castigated by some for being off the pace. To criticise him for being off the pace when he hadn't played was a bit rich. However, he showed his class last night. I think a run of games will do him the world of good and only increases competition in central midfield.

I’m not Conlon’s greatest fan but last nights second half performance was fantastic by him .

My question is though when Taylor is fit and manny for that matter is he getting anywhere near the starting 11 ? I just can’t see him starting

1 minute ago, vale victory said:

I’m not Conlon’s greatest fan but last nights second half performance was fantastic by him .

My question is though when Taylor is fit and manny for that matter is he getting anywhere near the starting 11 ? I just can’t see him starting

It's a good problem to have especially as Manny sadly has had his injuries. It wasn't too long ago that we were picking from Tonge, Kay and Pugh in there!

2 hours ago, SFBT said:

Crowd 3,347.
Lowest ever recorded on the guess the crowd.
It was cold and we had no chance of winning, so perhaps not surprising. 🤔

There were four gates in our division lower than that including the one at the third placed Railway Children.  Two lower gates in League One as well.  In view of our defeat on Saturday, injuries to key players, and the freezing cold weather the gate was hardly surprising.  Also, bear in mind that we announce the actual attendance and don't include non-attending season ticket holders like some clubs.

1 minute ago, Jacko51 said:

There were four gates in our division lower than that including the one at the third placed Railway Children.  Two lower gates in League One as well.  In view of our defeat on Saturday, injuries to key players, and the freezing cold weather the gate was hardly surprising.  Also, bear in mind that we announce the actual attendance and don't include non-attending season ticket holders like some clubs.

I never have, and never will, see the point in declaring a 'ghost' attendance based on ST holders. Is there any?

Archived