onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Exeter City

Fosse69

7 hours ago, Old fort said:

They will never be any different and despise being wrong, even at the expense of the Vale doing well, because it's all about their attention disorder. 

Always reminds me of the march past joke where one bystander quips...'Oh look, our son is the only one in step' 😎

Advert

For a ten minute cameo I thought Pope looked superb with some unbelievable touch and hold up play and even forced a good save from the keeper too. 

Agree with an earlier post that they collapsed. They looked deflated second half and couldn’t cope with our pressure and intensity. 

37 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

On reflection I think we have a set of fans on this forum who need their own chant.

Never mind the “where were you when you were sh*t” song we sang at Man City.

For them it’s “where were you when we were winning”... it’s a shame they all seem to disappear after enjoyable games where we win 🤷🏻‍♂️

they're out celebrating the win! Sure they will be back on today once the hangover is gone congratulating Askey and Kegan for an inspired team talk at half time. 

This vale side are consistently inconsistent. It doesn't help fans frustration to see us only loose once at home all season and be 3 points off the playoffs but still be played off the park by Morcombe. However people need to realise the club is moving in the right direction and risking next season's finances in this window for some a next season gamble with over inflated prices is not the right move. I still think we will bring one or two players in before end of the window. 

Back to back wins on Saturday would do us the world of good! 

Wow what a game. The magic and wonderment of football. First half we were stuffed. Second half we ripped them apart.   Askey has to take tremendous credit for changing the tactics at halftime. We had the midfield shaking hands with our back four in the first half and then trying to play through the midfield. We were losing first, second and third ball. Second half we played both our wingers properly out wide and hit them early. Amoo was superb and Wozza was back to his imperial best. Conlon and Burgess were energy personified. All 3 of the Sheffield Travelling Valiants were happy Valeites as we negotiated our way over the Peaks last night still wondering how that game turned full circle. A game of two halves. Exeter are a good team and had us reeling.  Last night is why I love football and why I love this football club. Up the Vale 

9 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Reading back over this thread there is a distinct trend of people who felt the need to post in the first half... but then quickly disappeared in the 2nd. For some reason they didn’t feel the need or desire to post about the second half. Wonder why?

It happens everywhere not just on this forum. There are studies that people are hardwired to be more inclined to comment on the negative than the positive. I don't think it doesn't mean that people are not happy with an excellent win. 

I think everywhere you look (and this isn't a Vale thing) there are more comments and interactions for negative events than for positive ones, it's just human nature.

9 hours ago, Joe B said:

Some of the balls Conlon was pinging were outrageous. Great work rate and fantastic all round performance. Hope he can get a run of games now to remind some fans what he's capable of.

He was being criticised unfairly I thought. Yes it was his fault he got suspended and missed games but it's pretty common that footballers take a few games to get to the pace of games. When Conlon came back he hadn't played for a while and was castigated by some for being off the pace. To criticise him for being off the pace when he hadn't played was a bit rich. However, he showed his class last night. I think a run of games will do him the world of good and only increases competition in central midfield.

I went with expectations. Of a good side, who don't concede, having too much for this Vale team.
First 50 minutes went to script.
They were good value for their lead and looked likely to extend it.
Cue Conlon, Amoo, penalty, Bennett.
All change.
Such energy, high tempo, hunting in packs, winning virtually all the challenges.
Exeter were overwhelmed.
What a transformation.
Love this Conlon, great control, superb, incisive passing.
Burgess full of running, Joyce busting a gut, Monty, wow.
Amoo, electric.
Gibbo everywhere.
Worrall likewise.
Legge and Brisley composed, along with Brown.
Good to see Bennett score two good goals.
Harsh, perhaps, to criticise, but his hold up play needs working on.
I was calling for Pope before Bennett scored his second!
In that team, playing that way, getting the ball wide and quickly, Pope would flourish and he showed that in the last 15 minutes.
Ludicrously entertaining game of football.
It's one of those that will stay in the memory.

16 minutes ago, robf said:

He was being criticised unfairly I thought. Yes it was his fault he got suspended and missed games but it's pretty common that footballers take a few games to get to the pace of games. When Conlon came back he hadn't played for a while and was castigated by some for being off the pace. To criticise him for being off the pace when he hadn't played was a bit rich. However, he showed his class last night. I think a run of games will do him the world of good and only increases competition in central midfield.

To quote you Rob, it happens everywhere, not just on this forum.

People expect players to be match sharp instantly.

Wow, still buzzing after that second half. What a transformation. I challenge any Vale fan to honestly say that they saw that coming.

First half, we were awful, there's no escaping that. All of the players were getting stick, including Bennett who quickly attracted the attentions of the minority of idiots in the RS, who jeered sarcastically when he won his first header. That would never happen to Pope in the same circumstances. Yes, Bennett should win more headers, given his size, but I thought that was out of order. Our passing was atrocious, we were fourth to every second ball, and I feared the worst at HT.

The penalty changed everything (as well as whatever JA and DK said to them at half time). You could clearly see the change in attitude and confidence of every Vale player, and we went for it. Switching play, winning the midfield battle, and getting the ball into dangerous areas. Poles apart from the first half. Thoroughly deserved in the end. 

Special shouts out to Bennett, who scored 2, and should probably have had a hattrick, Amoo, who was on fire in the second half, Burgess, who delivered a peach of a ball for the third, and Brisley, who grew into the game and by the end was winning everything (though he does seem to have a square head!).

The main difference between the teams at the top of the league and those not is largely down not to a gulf in quality, but consistency in stringing together above average performances. If we could just maintain the level of performance that we know this side is capable of, more often than not, we'd be up there. Win on Saturday (which is not a given, as I think it will be a very difficult game), and we could just start to believe, with Taylor, Manny and Smith all to return.

UTV.

Great response, at half time I was cursing myself for the 150 mile round trip and freezing my gonads off to watch that! We were off the pace, slow to react, looked tired and couldn't pass, as bad as Swindon at the weekend if not worse and couldn't see any way back for us.

Second half should of been 2-0 down in the first minute but then once the penalty went in we were like men possessed and in the end my only disappointment was we only got 3 such was the chances we had. Incredible effort and performance.

Bennett - Huge confidence player and maybe we need to lay off him, once he scored he was a different player and more like the one we saw in August and September.

Brisley - Grew into the game and was solid, he's mde the play offs playing the majority of Notts games 2 seasons ago so not a bad player and he got better as it wore on.

Conlon - Industrious

Amoo - Again confidence player, once he won the penalty he was purring like a cat and tore them apart.

They hadn't conceded in 2020 and had something like 14 clean sheets in 25 games or something but we made their defence look terrible.

Nice to finally beat Exeter at home for the first time in years (Since the Autoglass Semi I think!) always seem to have our number at VP.

Back in the play off hunt and with a home game up next a huge chance to really push on... can we finally close that 3 point gap that has eluded us in recent weeks?

11 minutes ago, SFBT said:

I went with expectations. Of a good side, who don't concede, having too much for this Vale team.
First 50 minutes went to script.
They were good value for their lead and looked likely to extend it.
Cue Conlon, Amoo, penalty, Bennett.
All change.
Such energy, high tempo, hunting in packs, winning virtually all the challenges.
Exeter were overwhelmed.
What a transformation.
Love this Conlon, great control, superb, incisive passing.
Burgess full of running, Joyce busting a gut, Monty, wow.
Amoo, electric.
Gibbo everywhere.
Worrall likewise.
Legge and Brisley composed, along with Brown.
Good to see Bennett score two good goals.
Harsh, perhaps, to criticise, but his hold up play needs working on.
I was calling for Pope before Bennett scored his second!
In that team, playing that way, getting the ball wide and quickly, Pope would flourish and he showed that in the last 15 minutes.
Ludicrously entertaining game of football.
It's one of those that will stay in the memory.

Never has the saying that goals change games been more appropriate. Until Amoo burst through and got the penalty we were totally out played and out classed. I think that Exeter were victims of their own downfall because they had been so much in control up to that moment that their defence pushed up too high up the pitch believing that they could take things easy but Amoo's pace changed all that in a trice.

After that Exeter fell apart and the Vale were galvanised and tore them apart. Every player deserved their share of the credit for this after the equaliser went in. The defence which had been run ragged suddenly got extra belief and I swear that Brisley grew 6 inches taller and began to dominate his man.

All in all a super result but I still consider that Popey would have relished playing in the newly rejuvenated team in the second period as his short cameo appearance showed after his introduction when some of his link up play was as sublime as the team's second half play.

1 hour ago, robf said:

It happens everywhere not just on this forum. There are studies that people are hardwired to be more inclined to comment on the negative than the positive. I don't think it doesn't mean that people are not happy with an excellent win. 

I think everywhere you look (and this isn't a Vale thing) there are more comments and interactions for negative events than for positive ones, it's just human nature.

Absolutely true. The news headlines have seldom been headlined by a positive story. 

Fantastic second half from the lads last night.

I can understand why some players were getting stick at HT. We were awful first half. But we have to remember we’ve only had one summer (where Carol & Kevin had only just taken over the club) since our worst season for a long time.

As a club, we’re on a journey and we’re very much moving in the right direction. 

JA and staff are doing a brilliant job and deserve a lot of credit, as do the players. Yes we have poor games but who doesn’t at this level?

Amoo was unplayable second half & stats wise, must be our biggest contributor for assists + goals.

Also special mention to Tom Conlon who drove us forward with his balls to Amoo and to Brisley who hasn’t played much and must be rusty but gave their dangerous forward line absolutely nothing all night.

Monty continues to confound his critics at left back with another great performance & Wozza having looked off the pace first half, had a great second. 

I hope in future we can have more constructive posts from some. When we’re losing, we don’t suddenly become a bad team and JA a hopeless manager and some would do well to remember that.

Archived