How many players do we have capable of L1 football? Usually teams that spend most of the season in the top 4 of L2 are capable. 

Ridiculous.

Askey has already said that teams want too much money. 

We all know (at least those of us that actually watch the team do) that we are further away from promotion that a player or two.  We need a proper window not the January fire sale.

Stop wetting your knickers and look at where we were 12 months ago.  We are moving forward for the first time since Rob Page was manager, but then many of you soiled your pants about him and gave Norm licence to do what he did and we nearly lost our league status.

When will some of you learn?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RayWalkers40yarder said:

i dont post as much anymore but i feel the need to offlad some stuff that is really getting to me now.

1) i dont rate askey. poor manager whose had some lucky results.

2) we are garbage away and we keep the same tactics and shape every game

3) we have no plan b see number 2.

4) what is happening to the man city money is it being invested next season or swallowed up by the repayments to sexman.

5) the squad aside from the first 11 is awful - plain to see with the changes made for the leasing.com trophy game against salford.

6) why does amoo go missing in away games?

7) why do we insist on 1 up front at home.....aspin did that and ended up going...things havent changed (answer to this one is askey knws we arent gonna score many goals so wants to keep it tight every game)

if i think of anymore ill post again but promotion? youre having a laugh.

sproson was right on radio. if this lot went up we would have to replace 9 and start again.

but in the words of the great rob page....we go again. /sigh

We lost to a better side than us, a side that's top of the league and we have always had a shocking record against on their own pitch. Get over it. Today was dissapointing but with no Pope and also losing Smith (it was 0-0 when he went off) early on it was always going to be a loss 8 times out of 10. Considering they were 3 up with half an hour to play the only real surprise to me was that they didn't score more goals.

Today we were without 3 of our best players in Oyeleke, Taylor and Pope, along with losing Smith. What did you actually expect?

Also, being bang average is certainly an improvement on what we had become under Neil Aspin.

Edited by TylerB
  • Like 1

Swindon are a top side with a superb midfield; losing is not shameful however some of the defending was pathetic today once Smudge went off and I hope it was just rustiness and getting familiar.

The free kick goal was after a serious of missed clearances, Brisley hit a clearance against Grant who nearly scored...

We need a centre half this window with Smudge out, maybe have to recall Kennedy if it’s not sorted.

We are in a decent position but still have a lot of work to do, this season was always planned to be one of transition with the aim of a base to go for it next season, that said we need to get some key players signed up so it is just adding a handful of quality players to improve us.

Probably safe already on 41 points so if we can’t close the gap we just need to start planning for a good go next year.

• Like 1

Being an average league two side would be an upgrade on the previous two seasons. 

However we are relying on a core of 6 or 7 decent players who have, by and large, stayed fit. Beyond that we have little quality and a lot of filler. 

2 hours ago, Doha said:

The Scumthwaite money is already collated and ringfenced. Effectively already paid for. No, the income from this season is not contributing towards it. 

Average is not the word I'd use to describe the incompetence I watched today, one particular phase just before the 3rd was truly horrifically bad, but over the course of the season it's there or there abouts because it's a crap league. Write this season off, spend some of the money on resigning our better players now and then in the summer replacing the deadwood.

OOC - 

Maddison - 1 year 
Gibbons - Sign
Smith - Sign
Evans - 1 year
Montano - 1 year 

Legge - he'll be 35 soon. At least one dangerous mistake in him every game. Consider releasing if the market is right tbh.
Brisley - release
Kennedy - release

Joyce - sign
Burgess - sign
Conlon - 1 year
Worrall - sign 
Amoo - sign
Browne - 1 year 

Lloyd - release
Atkinson - release

Cullen - release
Archer - release

Wouldn't be too disappointed to see Crookes and Bennett get offered mutual termination.

I’d add Evans and Conlon to the release list. 

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

I’d add Evans and Conlon to the release list. 

Didn't want to go overboard, you need cheap filler for squad rotation.

4 hours ago, RayWalkers40yarder said:

i dont post as much anymore but i feel the need to offlad some stuff that is really getting to me now.

1) i dont rate askey. poor manager whose had some lucky results.

2) we are garbage away and we keep the same tactics and shape every game

3) we have no plan b see number 2.

4) what is happening to the man city money is it being invested next season or swallowed up by the repayments to sexman.

5) the squad aside from the first 11 is awful - plain to see with the changes made for the leasing.com trophy game against salford.

6) why does amoo go missing in away games?

7) why do we insist on 1 up front at home.....aspin did that and ended up going...things havent changed (answer to this one is askey knws we arent gonna score many goals so wants to keep it tight every game)

if i think of anymore ill post again but promotion? youre having a laugh.

sproson was right on radio. if this lot went up we would have to replace 9 and start again.

but in the words of the great rob page....we go again. /sigh

You are P&G Carl in disguise aren’t you?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, raywalkersbananakick said:

Don't get me wrong we have come a long way under Carol however have we shown a lack of ambition in this window to push for the play offs feeling disappointed losing at Swindon shows how far we come emoji102.pngemoji460.pngemoji102.pngemoji460.png

Beating them a few weeks ago has. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, raywalkersbananakick said:

However when your in a position to build on more have we shown a lack of ambition yes we are happy with the progress but who's saying we be 10th next season sometimes you gotta to gamble within reason a missed opportunity maybe UTV emoji115.png

The one thing we haven't got to do is gamble.  We've got to live within our means.  To do anything other than that gets you where Bury are.  Chucking money about in this window when there are no bargains to be had and the only players you are likely to get are ones that other teams don't want is madness.

• Like 7

Good post m8 

If you happy with mediocrity than mediocrity is all we will ever be .

Love Vale but the only thing I love about this Vale is the support and chair folk .

Players well you would think they would be hungry for success after years of bottom of the league or near rubbish .

Seems not bottle it every time 

Grow some Vale 

• Like 1

It’ll take time and is a long term project, expecting glory within a few months isn’t realistic.

This season has been decent, some great moments, Man City, the Crewe win, last gasp win at Bradford and the Swindon and Plymouth home victories stand out. More memories to cherish than the last three years combined!

Look at Mansfield who have chucked money about like confetti, missed the play offs first season, lost in them last and struggling this... Notts County spent loads and ended up losing their league status...

First task was to stop the rot, save the sinking ship and we appear to have done that and started the trajectory upwards, now it’s about building on the foundations and continuous improvement... next season i expect a bit more than this and so on.

Rewind a decade and Mr Adams came in after the Glover mess... first season was like this, few defeats (only the champions lost fewer) but so many draws and a 10th place finish, the season after had he not left we’d have easily made the top 7 if not too 3. It’s was a first season of laying the foundations and that was under V2001.

No time to panic and over react, keep digging only five off the play offs so not actually out the race but it’s not the be all and end all, there is a bigger picture.

• Like 3

Bang average.

Which team will turn up?

Excellent, average and poor performances.

So different from the last three seasons, where we knew exactly what to expect. 

This is significant progress.

We are 10th, better than most expected.

Sure there's plenty to do.

How many times does it have to be repeated?

We almost went out of existence.

Stabilising the club is massive progress.

There is now a platform to build from.

Enjoy the process.

• Like 3

Just how long is this ‘long term project’, this ‘work in progress’ and this ‘transition period’?

We’re always looking at ‘next season’ and ‘rebuilding in the summer’.

All these cliches are getting well-worn and tedious and it’s time we really started showing our intentions on the field.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Vital Spark said:

Just how long is this ‘long term project’, this ‘work in progress’ and this ‘transition period’?

All these cliches are getting well-worn and tedious and it’s time we really started showing our intentions on the field.

Longer than 6 months that's for sure.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Vital Spark said:

Its literally the first season since we were nearly liquidated/got relegated.

We're literally 8 months in.

'Next season' is the second season.

'Rebuilding in the summer' will be the first summer we don't have to cobble together a kit and stadium safety improvement by the skin of our teeth.

The impatience is truly, truly laughable. You're finding calls for patience 'tedious' 8 months after the club was at the lowest ebb since Stanley Matthews had to beg the FA to keep up in the Football League.

The long-term project, the work in progress, and the transition period, is longer than the 8 months we've been in it so far, soory to disappoint.

If you need instant gratification I urge you to load up FIFA and play a few games on there.

Vale fans. F*** me.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Doha said:

The Scumthwaite money is already collated and ringfenced. Effectively already paid for. No, the income from this season is not contributing towards it. 

Average is not the word I'd use to describe the incompetence I watched today, one particular phase just before the 3rd was truly horrifically bad, but over the course of the season it's there or there abouts because it's a crap league. Write this season off, spend some of the money on resigning our better players now and then in the summer replacing the deadwood.

OOC - 

Maddison - 1 year 
Gibbons - Sign
Smith - Sign
Evans - 1 year
Montano - 1 year 

Legge - he'll be 35 soon. At least one dangerous mistake in him every game. Consider releasing if the market is right tbh.
Brisley - release
Kennedy - release

Joyce - sign
Burgess - sign
Conlon - 1 year
Worrall - sign 
Amoo - sign
Browne - 1 year 

Lloyd - release
Atkinson - release

Cullen - release
Archer - release

Wouldn't be too disappointed to see Crookes and Bennett get offered mutual termination.

I agree with most of those thoughts Doha. The one that you did surprise me with was Evans because for me he is a liability and on par with Lloyd as the worst player currently on our books.

Football is often a horrible game with the future career of players constantly down to the manager's opinion. For me though I think that he deserves more time I do fear that John Askey is by and large too negative. I know that he can only set up with the players at his disposal but I do fear that he is by his very nature a cautious man. I hope that he proves me wrong in the future but as one man that I often have a chat with after games said ''I feel disloyal after all that we have been through these last few seasons with us now in the top half of the league but Askey's tactics are very negative'' I feel exactly the same because especially against the poorer teams in this division his choice of one man up front (despite his quotes of a front three) is very uninspiring.

Yes I happily accept that we have performed well against some of the better teams in this league but by gum we have been equally rubbish against the majority of lesser teams. For me the season can't end quickly enough and I hope that a stronger squad especially in midfield can emerge next term because perhaps then the  manager's tactics will become more positive on the attacking front.

2019-20 has seen a big improvement but I often haven't enjoyed our style of play. I know that a number will criticise my whinging but we come to games to be entertained as well as to try and win. 

• Like 2