onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

bang average side

RayWalkers40yarder

Advert

39 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

I understand some of the frustrations.  There’s been the uplift from the new ownership, performances have improved on the pitch, to the point where we’re within touching distance of the play offs in what fans can see is a fairly mediocre league this season.  We now have the January window, with the possibility of signing a couple of players to push us on. Factor in that we are a perceived “big club” in this division, also that the Shunters are flirting with the automatic places.

Add these factors together and it’s quite easy to forget where we were, only a few months ago, and to dream that we just need a wonder signing or two to have us charging into the play offs.

It’s not quite that straightforward unfortunately.

I actually think the league is pretty good next year.

It certainly won't be any stronger next year.

19 hours ago, RayWalkers40yarder said:

i dont post as much anymore but i feel the need to offlad some stuff that is really getting to me now.

1) i dont rate askey. poor manager whose had some lucky results.

2) we are garbage away and we keep the same tactics and shape every game

3) we have no plan b see number 2.

4) what is happening to the man city money is it being invested next season or swallowed up by the repayments to sexman.

5) the squad aside from the first 11 is awful - plain to see with the changes made for the leasing.com trophy game against salford.

6) why does amoo go missing in away games?

7) why do we insist on 1 up front at home.....aspin did that and ended up going...things havent changed (answer to this one is askey knws we arent gonna score many goals so wants to keep it tight every game)

if i think of anymore ill post again but promotion? youre having a laugh.

sproson was right on radio. if this lot went up we would have to replace 9 and start again.

but in the words of the great rob page....we go again. /sigh

Thank god you don’t post much on here Jeez ! Sure you don’t want to go support Liverpool or Man City !! Or Bury?

18 hours ago, raywalkersbananakick said:

Don't get me wrong we have come a long way under Carol however have we shown a lack of ambition in this window to push for the play offs feeling disappointed losing at Swindon shows how far we come emoji102.pngemoji460.pngemoji102.pngemoji460.png

Disappointment at losing away to the league leaders??? Are you for real? 

1 hour ago, Vital Spark said:

I’m referring to the last 5 years, not just the last 8 months. Every season is over by Christmas and then we keep getting comments about rebuilds that never materialise.

Nobody’s after instant gratification, just a little consistency and a glimpse of ambition instead of a paper-thin squad occasionally added to with one of ‘Agent Sprosons’ loan kids.

Depends what you mean by ambition.

My take on the Shanahans is that their ambition is to create a sustainable community club step at a time.

That's exactly what is happening.

The time to assess how that is working will be in 5, even 10 years time.

2 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Depends what you mean by ambition.

My take on the Shanahans is that their ambition is to create a sustainable community club step at a time.

That's exactly what is happening.

The time to assess how that is working will be in 5, even 10 years time.

No mate you've got it wrong.

Ambition equates to blowing an unexpected windfall on an overpriced, out of favour player.

I think getting an odd addition to the squad in Jan does just freshen things up seems to have worked for a few clubs, I suppose the problem is getting someone better than what we have. We are with out doubt three or four quality players short of a promotion squad maybe with Taylor and Manny fit an odd one or two extra bodies could see a late push. The frustrating thing is if all eleven are at 100% we can give anyone a game but that rarely happens with second division players ! 

36 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I actually think the league is pretty good next year.

It certainly won't be any stronger next year.

The league is pretty good “next” year, or do you mean this year Joe?

We can’t say who’s going up yet, but you're probably right about next season. Just looking at the tables as they stand now, Tranmere should be strong, and you’d have to think Bolton could sort out their problems over the summer.  Southend are in a mess both on and off the field. Just one team coming up from the National League would mean one of our leagues relegation candidates getting a stay of execution.

11 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

We can’t say who’s going up yet, but you're probably right about next season. Just looking at the tables as they stand now, Tranmere should be strong, and you’d have to think Bolton could sort out their problems over the summer.  Southend are in a mess both on and off the field. Just one team coming up from the National League would mean one of our leagues relegation candidates getting a stay of execution.

Two teams come up from the National league, the Football League is currently one short with Bury`s demise

11 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Yes apologies, meant this year.

This season has given us a glimpse of what we could be again - a team possibly gaining promotion.  No doubt we will miss it and finish 10th, but it allows JA and Co to build a team where we could compete with others next year.  We are probably 4 quality players away from pushing play offs if we can keep certain players at the end of the season.

Previous seasons we would be looking at the other end of the league, wondering if we would go out of the league.  I know where I would rather be.

I feel the frustration. We are too big a club to be in the 4th division for years on end. 

We all know how it came to that however. Smurfwaite is the common factor. Wasted money on that silly foreign project that he vowed to put right and then the following season did no such thing. Instead drove fans away and pocketed every penny he could. 

I wish Carol and Kevin were billionaires who could bankroll the club beyond its means. We know that was never on the cards. 

Instead we need the money to come from the club and fans. They are now far more likely to come back, as are sponsors without a mentally unstable madman at the helm. 

This year we are seeing that, The Robbie concert and increased season ticket sales mean confidence is coming back. 

10th would be ok. Although I still believe we will continue to improve and the playoff push is very real. If we capitulate it would simply be down to spineless players. 

However with the stability and momentum, next season, anything less than playoffs again would be unacceptable in my view. Watching league 2 football is generally not a lot of fun..

Yes I am for real when I say disappointed it's shows how far we have come... Swindon had lost 2 key players and after beating them a couple of weeks ago I felt confident going into the game but losing key players ourselves shows the lack of depth and quality we have... Swindon are top but they are nothing special

Disappointment at losing away to the league leaders??? Are you for real? 

Archived