onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

bang average side

RayWalkers40yarder

3 hours ago, raywalkersbananakick said:

Don't get me wrong we have come a long way under Carol however have we shown a lack of ambition in this window to push for the play offs feeling disappointed losing at Swindon shows how far we come emoji102.pngemoji460.pngemoji102.pngemoji460.png

Beating them a few weeks ago has. 

Advert

3 hours ago, raywalkersbananakick said:

However when your in a position to build on more have we shown a lack of ambition yes we are happy with the progress but who's saying we be 10th next season sometimes you gotta to gamble within reason a missed opportunity maybe UTV emoji115.png

The one thing we haven't got to do is gamble.  We've got to live within our means.  To do anything other than that gets you where Bury are.  Chucking money about in this window when there are no bargains to be had and the only players you are likely to get are ones that other teams don't want is madness.

It’ll take time and is a long term project, expecting glory within a few months isn’t realistic.

This season has been decent, some great moments, Man City, the Crewe win, last gasp win at Bradford and the Swindon and Plymouth home victories stand out. More memories to cherish than the last three years combined!

Look at Mansfield who have chucked money about like confetti, missed the play offs first season, lost in them last and struggling this... Notts County spent loads and ended up losing their league status...

First task was to stop the rot, save the sinking ship and we appear to have done that and started the trajectory upwards, now it’s about building on the foundations and continuous improvement... next season i expect a bit more than this and so on.

Rewind a decade and Mr Adams came in after the Glover mess... first season was like this, few defeats (only the champions lost fewer) but so many draws and a 10th place finish, the season after had he not left we’d have easily made the top 7 if not too 3. It’s was a first season of laying the foundations and that was under V2001.

No time to panic and over react, keep digging only five off the play offs so not actually out the race but it’s not the be all and end all, there is a bigger picture.

Bang average.

Which team will turn up?

Excellent, average and poor performances.

So different from the last three seasons, where we knew exactly what to expect. 

This is significant progress.

We are 10th, better than most expected.

Sure there's plenty to do.

How many times does it have to be repeated?

We almost went out of existence.

Stabilising the club is massive progress.

There is now a platform to build from.

Enjoy the process.

Just how long is this ‘long term project’, this ‘work in progress’ and this ‘transition period’?

We’re always looking at ‘next season’ and ‘rebuilding in the summer’.

All these cliches are getting well-worn and tedious and it’s time we really started showing our intentions on the field.

5 minutes ago, Vital Spark said:

Just how long is this ‘long term project’, this ‘work in progress’ and this ‘transition period’?

All these cliches are getting well-worn and tedious and it’s time we really started showing our intentions on the field.

Longer than 6 months that's for sure.

24 minutes ago, Vital Spark said:

Its literally the first season since we were nearly liquidated/got relegated.

We're literally 8 months in.

'Next season' is the second season.

'Rebuilding in the summer' will be the first summer we don't have to cobble together a kit and stadium safety improvement by the skin of our teeth.

The impatience is truly, truly laughable. You're finding calls for patience 'tedious' 8 months after the club was at the lowest ebb since Stanley Matthews had to beg the FA to keep up in the Football League.

The long-term project, the work in progress, and the transition period, is longer than the 8 months we've been in it so far, soory to disappoint.

If you need instant gratification I urge you to load up FIFA and play a few games on there.

Vale fans. F*** me.

16 hours ago, Doha said:

The Scumthwaite money is already collated and ringfenced. Effectively already paid for. No, the income from this season is not contributing towards it. 

Average is not the word I'd use to describe the incompetence I watched today, one particular phase just before the 3rd was truly horrifically bad, but over the course of the season it's there or there abouts because it's a crap league. Write this season off, spend some of the money on resigning our better players now and then in the summer replacing the deadwood.

OOC - 

Maddison - 1 year 
Gibbons - Sign
Smith - Sign
Evans - 1 year
Montano - 1 year 

Legge - he'll be 35 soon. At least one dangerous mistake in him every game. Consider releasing if the market is right tbh.
Brisley - release
Kennedy - release

Joyce - sign
Burgess - sign
Conlon - 1 year
Worrall - sign 
Amoo - sign
Browne - 1 year 

Lloyd - release
Atkinson - release

Cullen - release
Archer - release

Wouldn't be too disappointed to see Crookes and Bennett get offered mutual termination.

I agree with most of those thoughts Doha. The one that you did surprise me with was Evans because for me he is a liability and on par with Lloyd as the worst player currently on our books.

Football is often a horrible game with the future career of players constantly down to the manager's opinion. For me though I think that he deserves more time I do fear that John Askey is by and large too negative. I know that he can only set up with the players at his disposal but I do fear that he is by his very nature a cautious man. I hope that he proves me wrong in the future but as one man that I often have a chat with after games said ''I feel disloyal after all that we have been through these last few seasons with us now in the top half of the league but Askey's tactics are very negative'' I feel exactly the same because especially against the poorer teams in this division his choice of one man up front (despite his quotes of a front three) is very uninspiring.

Yes I happily accept that we have performed well against some of the better teams in this league but by gum we have been equally rubbish against the majority of lesser teams. For me the season can't end quickly enough and I hope that a stronger squad especially in midfield can emerge next term because perhaps then the  manager's tactics will become more positive on the attacking front.

2019-20 has seen a big improvement but I often haven't enjoyed our style of play. I know that a number will criticise my whinging but we come to games to be entertained as well as to try and win. 

What is the most ludicrous aspect of this entire debate is that Askey and the Shanahans have shot themselves in the foot by DOING TOO WELL TOO EARLY.

If we hadn't taken 8k to the treble holders, if we hadn't found ourself on the edge of the playoffs within 6 months of nearly getting relegated, if we hadn't seen a well-run club moving in the right direction, no questions would be asked. We'd probably be grateful to not be scraping the barrel again.

If we were sat 14th right now, everyone would be mute.

Instead, we've overachieved on most people's expectations.

Silly Carol. How dare she improve the club too rapidly. Daft.

In good mind to release some of the correspondence I had with our previous Chairman so people could see the extent of how bad things were going to get under him. His legitimate plan was extinction. He had it all mapped out, to the letter, where we disappear and he keeps the ground.

Maybe then they'll stop blarting about the transition period being too tedious and the football being too dull.

Fan forums are a blight on the game. Change my mind.

Its literally the first season since we were nearly liquidated/got relegated.
We're literally 8 months in.
'Next season' is the second season.
'Rebuilding in the summer' will be the first summer we don't have to cobble together a kit and stadium safety improvement by the skin of our teeth.
The impatience is truly, truly laughable. You're finding calls for patience 'tedious' 8 months after the club was at the lowest ebb since Stanley Matthews had to beg the FA to keep up in the Football League.
The long-term project, the work in progress, and the transition period, is longer than the 8 months we've been in it so far, soory to disappoint.
If you need instant gratification I urge you to load up FIFA and play a few games on there.
Vale fans. F*** me.

I’m referring to the last 5 years, not just the last 8 months. Every season is over by Christmas and then we keep getting comments about rebuilds that never materialise.

Nobody’s after instant gratification, just a little consistency and a glimpse of ambition instead of a paper-thin squad occasionally added to with one of ‘Agent Sprosons’ loan kids.

In good mind to release some of the correspondence I had with our previous Chairman so people could see the extent of how bad things were going to get under him. His legitimate plan was extinction. He had it all mapped out, to the letter, where we disappear and he keeps the ground.

Maybe then they'll stop blarting about the transition period being too tedious and the football being too dull.

Fan forums are a blight on the game. Change my mind.

Without this forum we probably wouldn’t have a club. Yes, it has its faults, but OVF was an essential vehicle for opinion and revelations that kickstarted change by getting rid of Bratt and Smurthwaite.

I just feel that by now the club should be stable enough to start showing glimpses of progression and ambition on the field, because after all that’s all most fans are concerned with.

1 hour ago, Vital Spark said:

5 years to become an established mid-table L1 team. Assuming steady improvement of average gates to 6,000, and improved  business income, a few cup windfalls, astute transfer deals. Hopefully the experiences of the  first year will have  been sufficient to lay the plans required.   Even if it was that easy there are other clubs doing the same thing, only 4 are promoted each year and include yo-yo clubs, but L2 is the easy part, staying in L1 more difficult. even John Rudge was not an instant success.

8 minutes ago, Vital Spark said:

I’m referring to the last 5 years, not just the last 8 months. Every season is over by Christmas and then we keep getting comments about rebuilds that never materialise.

Nobody’s after instant gratification, just a little consistency and a glimpse of ambition instead of a paper-thin squad occasionally added to with one of ‘Agent Sprosons’ loan kids.

What on earth are the current operators supposed to do about the previous 4 seasons? You can't use the failures of the previous incumbents as a stick to beat this, so far successful, transitional period.

I don't like the Sproson link, and I don't like the recruitment policy thus far; both valid criticisms which the club needs to address and overhaul.

I take issue with your lambasting/impatience/boredom of the current transition period, which is 8 months deep and sees us 10 places higher, with a sustainable club and improved coffers, with long-term commercial strategy and stability (first season a manager will see through in 4 years), much improved home form which has nudged home attendances over 5,000 in the last month, improved links with local sponsors and law enforcement, hosting one of the planet's biggest pop stars in an excellent move of exposure and commercial viability, breaking the away attendance record of the Treble holders, and a club in which I enjoy attending matches and have genuine hopes moving forward.

Criticise recruitment all you want. I'll be there with you.

The one thing we haven't got to do is gamble.  We've got to live within our means.  To do anything other than that gets you where Bury are.  Chucking money about in this window when there are no bargains to be had and the only players you are likely to get are ones that other teams don't want is madness.

Totally agree Jean, but surely the hard work undertaken by Carol must by now have put us in a position to be confident enough to start the onfield renaissance. I like most fans just can’t see any signs of this happening.

Archived