onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

League 2 this season?

Phil1965

1 hour ago, Phil1965 said:

It has been a pleasure to watch Crewe at times this season. The core of the team - Ng, Wintle, Lowery, Pickering, Kirk, Finney, Ainley, Dale, all grew up together in the same youth team, and they are balanced with a few seasoned pros like Green, Powell, Hunt and Porter. Anene has been a useful addition too with Porter being injured. But we have been lucky with injuries and the squad isn’t big, so we will see how the final third goes. I think the play offs would be a good achievement. Maybe Port Vale will be better placed next season?

Do you think you will survive the transfer window ? Money at all clubs at this level (Except Salford ) is tight do Crewe need to sell ?

Advert

It’ll be interesting to see how Swindon go now, having lost the league’s 2 leading scorers.  Maybe either one or the other will reappear there before the window closes.  They’ve signed Hope, who I like, but can’t for one minute see being as prolific, so he’s nailed on to score on Saturday. 😳

Pains me to say it but can see Crewe in the top 3, baring sales or injury.

Outside bet would be Northampton.

If we manage 10th I’ll be delighted. 👍

• 3 weeks later...

We seem to have perfected the art of winning late, which is most un Crewe like. There is a bit of a gap now between the top four and the rest. Two great away wins for Vale, though two red cards doesn’t help. I think autos and play offs will go down to the final week. Pleased to see Northampton lose twice as their brand of football is unpalatable to me.

• 2 weeks later...

It’s all getting exciting now, we had a comfortable win against a limited Macc side on Saturday, but still have some tough away games to come. Our loanees have had a big impact, and we have been able to shuffle the pack in midfield. Sounds like a good game at Walsall?

I keep hearing that 'League 2 is poor this year', but I simply don't see it.

Crewe have 5/6 lads who will play a lot higher.

Swindon have the leading scorer in the country and players such as Grant and Doughty who have no business being in League 2.

Plymouth have a massive budget and have last season's POTY and promotion-winning manager.

FGR and Bradford have spent shedloads and are crumbling.

Scunthorpe and Mansfield have spent loads and are floundering.

Salford have spent the GDP of a developing nation and are m-dtable

Northampton have spent loads.

Colchester have steadily built with the same manager and a great recruitment team for a few years now. Same for Exeter.

Newport have had loads of cup runs/giantkillings

You have the likes of Holloway, Clarke, Adams knocking about in lower-mid table as managers.

Bowyer and Hurst, who have had loads of success as managers higher than this level, are out of work.

I think this is a very decent league with more tactical variation than I've ever seen; we play 433, a number of the top teams play 3 at the back (352, 343 etc); no longer is it your bog standard 'every side plays 442 hoofball).

I think that there's not one runaway leader, like Lincoln, maybe lessens the glitz for some, but I think this is a very strong League 2 and to be right in the mix for top 7 is testament to how good of a team we are.

• 2 weeks later...

Things getting interesting now! I think we are 50:50 autos or playoffs, and I think  Vale are 50:50 for a play off spot, but I think you will do it. Your home form is excellent, only one defeat all season (who was that against?). We’ve won 8 home games on the bounce which is keeping us in the mix. Away from home we have had a lot of draws. We need to win our home games against Newport and Grimsby. This has been the most enjoyable season for a long time. Good luck for the rest of the season (apart from 28 March).

9 minutes ago, Phil1965 said:

Things getting interesting now! I think we are 50:50 autos or playoffs, and I think  Vale are 50:50 for a play off spot, but I think you will do it. Your home form is excellent, only one defeat all season (who was that against?). We’ve won 8 home games on the bounce which is keeping us in the mix. Away from home we have had a lot of draws. We need to win our home games against Newport and Grimsby. This has been the most enjoyable season for a long time. Good luck for the rest of the season (apart from 28 March).

Our only home defeat was to Walsall.

Anybody hear Warnock on Quest ?

I'm really proud of Keith Curle on the budget Northampton have got it's a great achievement to have them near the play offs .

Warnock must be on monkey dust , they have spent a fortune and must be in the top 5 budgets . I thought he was meant to be knowledgeable

1 hour ago, Phil1965 said:

Can’t see Crewe finishing outside the top 2 TBF.

I feel Vale will finish 7th.  Then it’s a lottery.

1 hour ago, Guitar Ray said:

Can’t see Crewe finishing outside the top 2 TBF.

I feel Vale will finish 7th.  Then it’s a lottery.

2 hours ago, Phil1965 said:

Strange post top of the league and won 8 games on the run is keeping them in the mix , isn't that the aim of the game ?  

1 minute ago, Coyney Valiant said:
1 hour ago, DistantVale said:

Your'e top of the league, an away draw at Exeter is a good result as was a win at Walsall  , i wish we had your problems 

Like being top of the league and getting 4265 watching 150 from Stevenage lol

Its poor... but attendances don't get you promoted  

Archived