onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Swindon Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

For me I thought the first 25 minutes was full of strikingly one dimensional football. Swindon's main tactic seemed to be to break our offside trap which they failed miserably to do when Smith was on but Brisley and Legge as a combo were simply too static to contain them once they were paired together. Vale's somewhat bizarre tactic seemed to be to hoof it to Cullen as if they were expecting Pope there. I'm not quite sure what that was all about.

I personally thought Brown and Gibbons did well as did Burgess and to be fair Bennett put himself about when he came on towards the end. I also though both the Town fullbacks kept Worrall and Amoo quiet throughout. I'm a bit surprised about the comments about Amoo - in a desperately poor second-half I thought he at least had a couple of bright runs. Cullen looked bemused probably because so many balls were lumped up in the air to him - not his style at all.

However, I'd be really worried about Brisley and Legge as a combination against any side with pace. On Saturday they were like my attempt to negotiate the magic roundabout - slow, hesitant and never entirely sure of themselves.

p.s. For one of the previous posters. You should give "Your Parking Space" a try - we got a three hour space at the nearby Tesco Extra for £3. 

Advert

For me I thought the first 25 minutes was full of strikingly one dimensional football. Swindon's main tactic seemed to be to break our offside trap which they failed miserably to do when Smith was on but Brisley and Legge as a combo were simply too static to contain them once they were paired together. Vale's somewhat bizarre tactic seemed to be to hoof it to Cullen as if they were expecting Pope there. I'm not quite sure what that was all about.
I personally thought Brown and Gibbons did well as did Burgess and to be fair Bennett put himself about when he came on towards the end. I also though both the Town fullbacks kept Worrall and Amoo quiet throughout. I'm a bit surprised about the comments about Amoo - in a desperately poor second-half I thought he at least had a couple of bright runs. Cullen looked bemused probably because so many balls were lumped up in the air to him - not his style at all.
However, I'd be really worried about Brisley and Legge as a combination against any side with pace. On Saturday they were like my attempt to negotiate the magic roundabout - slow, hesitant and never entirely sure of themselves.
p.s. For one of the previous posters. You should give "Your Parking Space" a try - we got a three hour space at the nearby Tesco Extra for £3. 

I followed the locals and found free on street parking about 1/4 mile away

1 hour ago, robf said:

This is why I never understood the criticism that we shouldn't play Pope because it means the players just resort to lumping it up to him. As though once he's off the pitch the players go "oh Pope isn't here, best to just dribble past players and make incisive passes"

On 26/01/2020 at 20:58, robf said:

I said the same after the Scunthorpe game I think, they had wingers and forwards willing to chase a lost cause that put our defence under pressure whereas we did not. The same happened at Swindon when they were constantly trying to go over the top of our back 4. But when one of our full backs plays a perfectly good ball into a channel or over the top of the opposition fullback into space they get moaned at for giving it away or hitting it to no one. Little do the moaners realise that this is a perfectly good ball to put the opposition under pressure and turn them around, the problem is that our wingers and forward don’t chase it down.  I think this is what Askey was alluding to in his post match interview with some players more intent on trying to take too many touches and be pretty than doing some basic stuff instead.

Archived