onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Swindon Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

32 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

I beg to differ regarding Grant, he was far from “pants” that day in my opinion.  Don’t forget he ended up playing centre half for much of the game, as Swindon were affected by injuries both before and during the game.

I think losing Smith also had a big psychological effect on the team, seeing one of our best players going off, so it’ll be interesting to see how we react on Tuesday.

He was playing center half yesterday or sitting just in front of them and was MOM. Grant was the best player we had when he was at Vale and we were a division higher.

Funny how opinions change depending on a win or loss, I got criticised last week for saying Manny is better than anything we have in midfield at the moment and none of them should be dropped!

Advert

10 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

I thought he was very good and composed, as usual, both in midfield and when he was moved to emergency centre-back.

He was excellent for us and was pivotal in League 1 so he will really stand out in this p1ss-poor division.

Towards the end of his Vale spell there were clueless idiots on here spouting that we should get rid, we didn't need him and his attitude, etc.........we fell apart and were never the same after he'd gone - and still have nowhere near such impact and influence in midfield 3 years later (bar sporadic spells from a fit Oyeleke last season).

Correct, if Grant had stayed we would not have gone down.

36 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

He was playing center half yesterday or sitting just in front of them and was MOM. Grant was the best player we had when he was at Vale and we were a division higher.

Funny how opinions change depending on a win or loss, I got criticised last week for saying Manny is better than anything we have in midfield at the moment and none of them should be dropped!

Looked like they played with 2 in front of their back 4, Grant being one of the 2.  Their midfield was far better than ours on the day.

Don’t you think the jury’s still out on Manny? Is he better than say Taylor, or just a different type of player?  He certainly gives us the power we lack in midfield. The other question is who he’d replace.  The Taylor, Burgess, Joyce combination seems generally to work well at home.

I’d also suggest that a fit Manny may allow us to go 442 more often, which could benefit Cullen.  Who knows. Who’d be a manager. 😳

Taylor gets us goals, Manny does the industrial stuff. If we are to get promotion we need a fit Manny or a replacement who is as good, the midfield out their yesterday won’t get us above mid table. There was no comparison between Grant and Joyce yesterday and that is why Swindon are top of the table.

17 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

Taylor gets us goals, Manny does the industrial stuff. If we are to get promotion we need a fit Manny or a replacement who is as good, the midfield out their yesterday won’t get us above mid table. There was no comparison between Grant and Joyce yesterday and that is why Swindon are top of the table.

Imo Manny is far more of a playmaker than an industrial stuff sort of player.

He'll do nothing for half an hour than open up their defence with a pass, or waltz past 3 defenders. A game-changer, the likes of which we don't have unless Amoo is having a good day.

8 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Imo Manny is far more of a playmaker than an industrial stuff sort of player.

He'll do nothing for half an hour than open up their defence with a pass, or waltz past 3 defenders. A game-changer, the likes of which we don't have unless Amoo is having a good day.

He can also do the Grant-style job - put his foot in, break up play and muscle opponents off the ball. He's an excellent midfield all-rounder. 

2 hours ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

I thought he was very good and composed, as usual, both in midfield and when he was moved to emergency centre-back.

He was excellent for us and was pivotal in League 1 so he will really stand out in this p1ss-poor division.

Towards the end of his Vale spell there were clueless idiots on here spouting that we should get rid, we didn't need him and his attitude, etc.........we fell apart and were never the same after he'd gone - and still have nowhere near such impact and influence in midfield 3 years later (bar sporadic spells from a fit Oyeleke last season).

I’d take what a lot of people Spout on here with a massive shovel of salt TBH!!?

3 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

I beg to differ regarding Grant, he was far from “pants” that day in my opinion.  Don’t forget he ended up playing centre half for much of the game, as Swindon were affected by injuries both before and during the game.

I think losing Smith also had a big psychological effect on the team, seeing one of our best players going off, so it’ll be interesting to see how we react on Tuesday.

Yeah, he wasn't pants to be fair. But I also don't think we should be making Grant out to be the difference between the two sides, or into a better player than he actually is. He has some great games but also looks lazy and anonymous in others, and is why he's always played his football at the lower levels.

No Tyler,he's always played football at lower league level because his decision making is a little too slow for Championship. He takes a bit to long to play higher and generally slows the teams play down.

Nothing to do with his work rate. The guy has a laid-back style but that doesn't mean he's lazy. He is probably the best midfielder at this level.

I would love him back at Vale..

1 hour ago, MBE said:

No Tyler,he's always played football at lower league level because his decision making is a little too slow for Championship. He takes a bit to long to play higher and generally slows the teams play down.

Nothing to do with his work rate. The guy has a laid-back style but that doesn't mean he's lazy. He is probably the best midfielder at this level.

I would love him back at Vale..

I wonder what kind of money he's on at Swindon ?  Shrewsbury couldn't wait to get rid.

8 minutes ago, Mario said:

I wonder what kind of money he's on at Swindon ?  Shrewsbury couldn't wait to get rid.

Shrews wanted rid due to a disciplinary breach.

Swindon fans, who've seen him all season, agree he was imperious yesterday. His ability to turn and start attacks was the undoing of us.

That and Doughty's left foot.

4 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Shrews wanted rid due to a disciplinary breach.

Swindon fans, who've seen him all season, agree he was imperious yesterday. His ability to turn and start attacks was the undoing of us.

That and Doughty's left foot.

I would dare wager he's on double anything our midfield are on.

Archived