Match Thread: Port Vale v Leyton Orient

3 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I was happy to see us keeping possession at the end, less happy when people started moaning so Amoo felt he had to get a cross in which then resulted in them breaking. Game management is still defo something we need to improve upon, hopefully in the next 7 days as I’d love to see us frustrate the hell out of Swindon with time wasting, shirt pulling, niggly fouls etc.

Maybe David Artell has a point with his uneducated remark. I heard similar and cringed. 

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Birchall said,'Why it is every time Tom doesn't play there is always a lot more crosses going in that he would have buried' Mmmm do you see a pattern developing there Birchy lad??? You sum it up

Hmm, you've managed to contradict yourself within the same post, which is good going even by your standards Ernie. "Cullen was playing well with his link up play", as well as "Cullen is not a lon

Can idiots stop moaning at Amoo now?  

Amoo is the 19/20 version of Jennison. For some reason he's the victim of boo boys and constantly criticised. 

Now has 5 goals is it ? 

Today he put two absolute sitters on a plate that were both missed. Instrumental in a few assists recently too. 

He's bound to have off days or he wouldn't be in League 2. 

Lay off him. 

Referee again truly abysmal, gave a decision by Lorne street corner flag from 100 yards away that the liner didn't flag for from 2 yards , and then the attempted decapitation as only a yellow. Completely inept 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, darren1810 said:

Amoo is the 19/20 version of Jennison. For some reason he's the victim of boo boys and constantly criticised. 

Now has 5 goals is it ? 

Today he put two absolute sitters on a plate that were both missed. Instrumental in a few assists recently too. 

He's bound to have off days or he wouldn't be in League 2. 

Lay off him. 

Referee again truly abysmal, gave a decision by Lorne street corner flag from 100 yards away that the liner didn't flag for from 2 yards , and then the attempted decapitation as only a yellow. Completely inept 

Spot on. On course for 7/8 league goals this season and won't be far off 10 assists.

Has flaws but everyone does in this tinpot league.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 4

13 minutes ago, Old fort said:

And there we have in a couple of short paragraphs,  the whole logic and justification of why today's  and Cullens selection was spot on. Swathes of how today's build up play would not have happened with the way we play to Pope. As far as missing sitters, well we've done that all season with and without Pope on the field and he's been culpable for a few of them, so no one has any right to say with any certainty that Pope would have scored them. 

BTW Burgess' energy today was superb and was also a MOM contender 

Burgess continues his extraordinary run of two defeats in his twenty appearances; one away at Man City.

For a young lad, unheralded on arrival, most likely on a relative pittance, he's been a very good signing. Great energy, very decent technically, no mistakes and never loses the ball. If we bulk him out a bit he'd be a good player in League 2.

12 minutes ago, Old fort said:

Maybe David Artell has a point with his uneducated remark. I heard similar and cringed. 

I think you have a point about Artell. Obviously we were all seething but then you go to the Vale and you hear the crap that some people come up with.

My personal favourite are the ones who literally combust because Askey hasn’t made 3 substitutions every game.

As for Gibbo, he does his clearing but all the time. He did one vs Morecambe too. Brilliant defending. 

I know Cullen has got a few goals but I think with a decent run in the team, he’s got plenty of goals in him. Not that I’m advocating dropping Popey. Horses for courses through and good that we can mix it up depending on the opposition. Nice selection dilemma for JA.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Now has 5 goals is it ? 

Lay off him. 

Throw in Constantine as well. It really annoys me, RS go about on about him all the time as well.  Which infects the arm chair fans with the idea he is lazy and useless. He's doing a good job for us.

How much stick does Worrall get? And what did we create on his side? Nothing against Wozza,  but it is double standards.

`

• Like 2

All this 'boo boys' stuff, is really down to a few things (in my view). The players getting stick, are in 2 categories: a) those that have shown what they can do, and we therefor expect more from (ie. Amoo or Gibbons), or b) those that are simply not good enough (ie. Bennett or Lloyd).

Is it constructive? Not at all in either case. But that's how football works! The players doesn't sign or pick themselves to play. But all fans can judge them on, is how they perform in the games. Having said that, they have a very very privileged job, now even with a workspace that caters for their every need. I wish I would get paid to look after myself, having good healthy food served up for free, or even paid to relax/take a nap.

The players fans love regardless, and can look past when having a bad game, are those who grind out solid performances game after game. Those that may not have a good game on the ball, but at least gives us 110% effort every single time. Like Gibbo, Joyce (this season), Worrall to name a few.

1 hour ago, LancyTony said:

There would still have been only enough tickets for ST holders?

Lance, I’m struggling to understand, what you’re saying. If it was one ticket per season ticket and we don’t have 5,000 ST holders how would we have shifted 8,000 tickets, without them going on general sale.?

1 minute ago, Danish Valiant said:

All this 'boo boys' stuff, is really down to a few things (in my view). The players getting stick, are in 2 categories: a) those that have shown what they can do, and we therefor expect more from (ie. Amoo or Gibbons), or b) those that are simply not good enough (ie. Bennett or Lloyd).

Is it constructive? Not at all in either case. But that's how football works! The players doesn't sign or pick themselves to play. But all fans can judge them on, is how they perform in the games. Having said that, they have a very very privileged job, now even with a workspace that caters for their every need. I wish I would get paid to look after myself, having good healthy food served up for free, or even paid to relax/take a nap.

The players fans love regardless, and can look past when having a bad game, are those who grind out solid performances game after game. Those that may not have a good game on the ball, but at least gives us 110% effort every single time. Like Gibbo, Joyce (this season), Worrall to name a few.

I'd agree but Amoo is doing his job, exactly what he was brought in to do. I'd love for him to work hard but if he did he wouldn't be playing for us.

He can stay lazy all he wants if he keeps winning games and securing points for us.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

No end product?  What about the chance he laid on a plate for Atkinson in the first minute for starters?

Amoo is one of the few players that can deliver the ball with true quality.  Sure he has his faults which is why he is in League 2 but he has more quality than many players we have seen in a Vale shirt in recent years.

• Like 4

Birchall said,'Why it is every time Tom doesn't play there is always a lot more crosses going in that he would have buried' Mmmm do you see a pattern developing there Birchy lad???
You sum it up correctly, Cullen was the instigator behind the build up to those crosses which wouldn't have happened without him on the pitch. 
I've been a bit critical of Cullen but he was excellent today. Deserves a run in the side like Pope and Bennett have had.  

This is spot on , Cullen was responsible for getting us further up the pitch so we could create crossing opportunities, he can also run in behind which unfortunately Tom can’t do now , so gives other options
  • Like 1

If the family of four who abused Amoo away at Mansfield are on here, please send me a DM telling me how you feel.

It wasn't criticism of a player, it was direct abuse. Worst I've ever heard.

Wonder where they were today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A really good team performance, I hoped we wouldn’t get punished for missing our chances in the first half. Well done to all players. I did notice that when Vale were about to make the double substitution Cullen came over towards the railway paddock, I think he was shocked to be substituted.

Congratulations on the decision to charge £15 a ticket I think it put a couple of hundred on the gate. So well done to whoever decided on the offer. A good day at the office.

Got more points at home now than we did in the entirety of last season (27 to 24).

Gone from having the second worst home record to the 7th best.

Massive turnaround from Askey.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When Tom is on the pitch there is often a big gap between him and the midfield/wide men.  Cullen was coming deep to receive the ball so that gap wasn't there and our ball retention was better as team.  Considering Cullen has been very short of game time, I thought he was very good today.  But the sooner we get Nathan Smith signed up the sooner I will believe we have a very exciting future.

• Like 6

Don't know who it was earlier in the thread that said the game could have gone either way, but he watched a different game to myself. At 1-0 you're always a bit nervous going into the last 10 minutes no matter who you're playing, but today a win by two or three goals would have been fully deserved.

Cullen just needs a run of games and he'll be different gravy for us. We all love Tom Pope, but we're a better footballing side without him. That's not a slate on him as a footballer himself whatsoever, but his strengths mean that all too often we lump it forward early hoping he can make something of it against what is usually two 6 foot something lumps that have haggis for breakfast. There's a little bit of McPhee about Cullen although not on his level of course.

Secondly, imagine how good we'll be potentially when we have Taylor and Oyeleke back in the side? The below starting 11 excites me a lot, and I've not been the slightest bit excited for a Port Vale team for a long time now. Not saying that we should drop Joyce and not start with Pope some games... Horses for courses and all that. But for me this could be our strongest starting 11 on paper.

Brown

Gibbons

Smith

Legge

Montano

Oyeleke

Burgess

Taylor

Worrall

Amoo

Cullen

Which brings me to Scott Burgess. I expected nothing from him when he joined and though he would probably play a handful of games for the club in the Cups and probably be gone by January. He's like a Doug Loft in that he brings bags of energy to the midfield, and with Taylor our we really needed his legs today, and he more than played his part. Terrific stuff from him and the rest of the boys, and the gaffer himself.

Today was up there with the best performances this season, really good game. We should have scored more goals, notably the Atkinson and Wozza ones in the first few minutes, and the Wozza Cullen one I the second half, but could have been 4-4.Smith motm closely followed by Amoo and Brown, nobody was less than a 7.

• Like 1