Fosse69

Match Thread: Port Vale v Leyton Orient

50/50 ball that the lad was entitled to go for. That he committed a foul isn't in doubt, and he was rightly booked for it, but never a red card as there was a genuine attempt to get the ball.

He was entitled to go for the ball but not with his knee / foot at that height !

10 minutes ago, Heatwave said:

50/50 ball that the lad was entitled to go for. That he committed a foul isn't in doubt, and he was rightly booked for it, but never a red card as there was a genuine attempt to get the ball.

SERIOUS FOUL PLAY

A tackle or challenge that endangers the safety of an opponent or uses excessive force or brutality must be sanctioned as serious foul play.

Any player who lunges at an opponent in challenging for the ball from the front, from the side or from behind using one or both legs, with excessive force or endangers the safety of an opponent is guilty of serious foul play.

It's not just me, it's everyone else I sit with in the Lorne Street and we had roughly the same angle as the camera. We've been on the receiving end of those sort of red card decisions before and they were no more correct than it would have been to award a red yesterday. 

14 minutes ago, Heatwave said:

It's not just me, it's everyone else I sit with in the Lorne Street and we had roughly the same angle as the camera. We've been on the receiving end of those sort of red card decisions before and they were no more correct than it would have been to award a red yesterday. 

Well then everybody around you is wrong too.  The law is quite clear as I have posted above.  That was a challenge that endangered the safety of an opponent, that's not really in doubt is it?  Therefore its sanctioned as serious foul play and that's a red card offence.  The ref will have been severely marked down due to getting a serious incident wrong, at least that's how it used to work, it may have changed now but that doesnt change the way the challenge should have been dealt with. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Heatwave said:

You don’t see from that angle that the player also went in with his fist and punched the ball. More than often the player would have seen red but not the most obvious red card I’ve seen. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

I can't think of any massively egregious errors against us this year; the penalty for Bradford away, maybe?

The penalty Rose got for Mansfield.  The corner from which Northampton scored.  The penalty for the dive at Newport.  The offside goal at Morecambe.  And I wish to add for consideration about 20 blatant fouls on Pope in the box which didn't produce a single penalty, M'Lud!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Heatwave said:

The fact that it was a genuine attempt to get the ball is irrelevant.  It is perfectly possible for a genuine attempt to get the ball to end up as a red card because the attempt is high and dangerous. 

4 hours ago, MBE said:

It was like Schumacher and Platini back in the day. The ref saw it and still didn't give it. Unbeliveable. Generally I thought the officials were very poor yesterday.

Patrick Battiston 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philpvfc said:

A fit Manny is far better than anything we have in midfield. We played well yesterday but our midfield was definitely our weakness, Joyce had a bad game, Atkinson was our worst player on the pitch and Burgess put a lot of effort but no end product.

But my point is that I think Burgess Taylor and Joyce have played so well that Manny can’t expect to just get in automatically when he’s fit. I think we’re at a stage where he arguably hasn’t been missed as much as he was last season.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

The Liner running the Lorne St side had a mare. Thought maybe his mum bought him a Liners kit for xmas and he was trying it out for the first time without stabilisers.

What decisions did he get wrong?

Whisper it, but I was fairly worried when Smith hauled one of their players down late on in the six yard box. Was all over him. I'm sure there player was at it too but they've been given before.

I just think the ref's aren't as consistently WOEFUL ATROCIOUS GODDAMN AWFUL BOOOO as people report every single week. They get most decisions right.

Edited by Joe B

12 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

But my point is that I think Burgess Taylor and Joyce have played so well that Manny can’t expect to just get in automatically when he’s fit. I think we’re at a stage where he arguably hasn’t been missed as much as he was last season.  

Considering his injury record and the uncertainty of the operation success it is inevitable that Manny would be eased back and would only stay on merit. 

42 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Agree he shouldn’t just walk in to the team but he is better than what we have.

6 hours ago, Portvale4 said:

Luke Joyce has to be in the team. He keeps us ticking, that midfield would get overrun. 

I don't agree with it being overrun but I'm not going to argue that Joyce deserves to keep his place.

I was sitting in the railway paddock around the half way line and had a clear unobstructed view on the Monty incident, as both player’s were coming towards me. It certainly wasn’t a 50/50 ball, it only became that when the Orient player maliciously smashed himself into Montys head, a definite red card. I hope he apologised to Monty at some stage. I was concerned for Monty how long he was on the ground with a head injury and was glad that he got back up. I don’t know what went on with the Vale medical team but Monty exchanged words with them before re entering the pitch. Then as he was walking behind the Hamil End goal, he got into a verbal confrontation with the away fans.

3 hours ago, philpvfc said:

A fit Manny is far better than anything we have in midfield. We played well yesterday but our midfield was definitely our weakness, Joyce had a bad game, Atkinson was our worst player on the pitch and Burgess put a lot of effort but no end product.

Far better? Far better?  Let's see fit player for 20 games first. Also don't forget ,though perhaps lots of people have, that Manny gave us a few "oh no" moments early this season. He is a very good player, who fits well in to the cog mechanism, but he's not the Messiah  alone who too many people believe would secure us guaranteed promotion. That's not me having a dig at Manny, or anyone else,  but we should give credit where credits due and appreciate what a superb job that the midfield has done this season over the whole season so far, when, at the time that Manny got injured, most people thought that we'd be in another relegation scrap without him 

Undoubtedly, a consistently fit Manny strengthens the team, but I can't believe that anyone can't acknowledge the strides that Taylor and Burgess have made,under the watchful guidance of Joyce, which in itself has added energy quality our team more than we believed possible. 

So like most of us, while I'll welcome a fit Manny back, I won't be expecting miracles,  just hopefully better creativity in front of goal. 

• Like 2

Just my personal opinion, but I reckon Monty had some degree of concussion which is why he had to go off after attempting to carry on. If that’s the case, I think it’s a statutory weeks rest.

6 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Just my personal opinion, but I reckon Monty had some degree of concussion which is why he had to go off after attempting to carry on. If that’s the case, I think it’s a statutory weeks rest.

Quite possibly, I’ve not read anything about his injury, if that is the case he then he shouldn’t have been allowed to carry on. 

1 hour ago, TylerB said:

I don't agree with it being overrun but I'm not going to argue that Joyce deserves to keep his place.

So a midfield three of Manny, Taylor and Burgess wouldn’t get overrun? They are all three attack minded players. There is no tough tackler, or someone who’d do all the dirty work. I wouldn’t be confident with a midfield like that at all.