Match Thread: Port Vale v Leyton Orient

Fosse69

27 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

The problem is Askey insists on playing one up front and uses the same tactic of hoofing it up to the player up front.

This is why people were crying out forPope to be bought on to feed off the numerous crosses being put in the box.

Then he takes Cullen off who was playing well with his link up play and replaces him with Pope.

When will Askey learn that Cullen is not a lone striker and needs someone like Pope to feed off.

If we play two up front they need 3 players to mark them and stops them overloading the midfield because with one front they only need two players back to mark him.

Thank God Brown came up with a couple of point blank saves to keep us in the game and Gibbo cleared off the line or else it could have been a different result.

We made hard work of beating another poor team.

You could have fooled me, he was very good today in that role,

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the thing with amoo is confidence and consistency which is a common theme of players in this division, especially wingers. Not sure I fully agree with the comparisons to jmw though and I think that’s possibly where some people’s frustrations come from. Jmw and Vincent were the last real wingers we had of any note but they were both very different to a amoo because they were so direct. They used to want to get the ball and go and they both got some unfair stick when it didnt work. Amoo is not always so willing to go direct but gets some stick for not doing it. Damned if you do damned if you don’t.  The one thing that is comparable however is that he has the ability to make something happen, just wish some times when you are watching him that he believed that too. If he could find that level of performance today consistently he won’t be here long that’s for sure was the match winner today from the first minute. 

1 minute ago, Guitar Ray said:

Big shout out to Scott Brown, more great saves again today, the best of which, from the off side Angol(?), was so good it caused a mini celebration in the Bycars as if we’d scored, including several fans rushing down to the front of the stand. Can’t remember the last time I saw that.

I stood to applaud as it was a stupendous save, not sure whether he was actually offside for that passage on play. The one a few minutes before was good as well.

10 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I stood to applaud as it was a stupendous save, not sure whether he was actually offside for that passage on play. The one a few minutes before was good as well.

It was given offside. But that doesn't take anything away from the save. Top draw.

5 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

No, not sure where the off side occurred.  Either way, Brownie wasn’t to know.

The new media guy should  compile a montage of Browns saves for the first half of the season.  Would make great viewing.

Advert:

1 minute ago, Guitar Ray said:

No, not sure where the off side occurred.  Either way, Brownie wasn’t to know.

The new media guy should  compile a montage of Browns saves for the first half of the season.  Would make great viewing.

The guy was miles offside. But as you say, Browny was not to know. Great save.

I’m going to disagree with some posters in that I thought Orient looked quite a poor outfit.  We played well and, if we’d have stuck our early chances away, could and should have finished with a more convincing win. Having said that the game itself was very entertaining, with some good football and quite open. 

6 points from the last 3 games is a good return and it’s nice to see the gap close on the teams above.

26 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I was surprised that we made the substitutions when we did, as I thought that we’d got total control of the game, but JA is the manager and the players might have been fatigued. As I said in an earlier post when the subs were due to come on Cullen moved towards the railway paddock. As he was walking off Leon came to him and shook his hand, I don’t know if that was to console him. Glad both players had a standing ovation as they left the pitch.

I think it’s because Pope can hold the ball up and is more difficult to knock off the ball. He’s also useful in defence. Cullen played really well so it couldn’t have been for anything else

Advert:

All this talk about Amoo - There's a reason why he plays in League Two. Consistency. He blows hot and cold - If he blew more hot than cold he would have been playing a league or two higher up in his career. It's that simple.

He'll have quiet spells and will frustrate a lot, but he's a threat. Other teams will worry about him and make plans to try and deal with him.

5 minutes ago, TylerB said:

All this talk about Amoo - There's a reason why he plays in League Two. Consistency. He blows hot and cold - If he blew more hot than cold he would have been playing a league or two higher up in his career. It's that simple.

He'll have quiet spells and will frustrate a lot, but he's a threat. Other teams will worry about him and make plans to try and deal with him.

Why all the talk about Amoo? That is the point. Where is the talk about Worrall, or Atkinson, or Conlon, or Bennett or Joyce. It is obsessive. That is the point. 

I think I know why, and that is because he is noticeable for some reason. Let me think why? And a stereotype, he is lazy, despite this not being true,

Let me think, hmmm. It is because he his black. That is why. He is easy to spot, Easy to pick on. 

It reminds me a bit of Marcus Harness. I thought he did okay for us. But he got ripped apart on here, Jacko made a good point that he was "noiiceable" with his hair. Fair point and this is why he got picked on.

He's doing alright for himself these days. 

Now I am not saying that this is racism per se. But these lads are under an unreasonable amount of scrutiny. And unfairly singled out, white blokes can be crap and no one mentions it. If you are a black bloke you will get murdered.

And this observation goes from way back. Just hope it will change. I'm sure many will say this is a bit Snowflake. And mention a load of our black heroes. But I still think our black players get singled out as hero or zero and lazy. Which is not fair,

Rant over.

10 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

I’d have taken the season tickets holders allocation down to one ticket. I’m a season ticket holder but knew I couldn’t make it when the draw was made, so I didn’t buy a ticket. I have heard from a reliable source that no records were made on a season tickets being used to purchase tickets. This meant that some unscrupulous ST holders had more than their allocated two tickets.

A simple solution is to have numbers 1 to 5 in a circle on the season cards. Use a hole punch to punch a hole through each number inside using old fashioned paper vouchers in the old season tickets.

Advert:

6 hours ago, toyahw said:

Why all the talk about Amoo? That is the point. Where is the talk about Worrall, or Atkinson, or Conlon, or Bennett or Joyce. It is obsessive. That is the point. 

I think I know why, and that is because he is noticeable for some reason. Let me think why? And a stereotype, he is lazy, despite this not being true,

Let me think, hmmm. It is because he his black. That is why. He is easy to spot, Easy to pick on. 

It reminds me a bit of Marcus Harness. I thought he did okay for us. But he got ripped apart on here, Jacko made a good point that he was "noiiceable" with his hair. Fair point and this is why he got picked on.

He's doing alright for himself these days. 

Now I am not saying that this is racism per se. But these lads are under an unreasonable amount of scrutiny. And unfairly singled out, white blokes can be crap and no one mentions it. If you are a black bloke you will get murdered.

And this observation goes from way back. Just hope it will change. I'm sure many will say this is a bit Snowflake. And mention a load of our black heroes. But I still think our black players get singled out as hero or zero and lazy. Which is not fair,

Rant over.

Brilliant. So pleased to see this. We all stereotype and categorize. It's how we work. We are trying to make sense of the world.

Once we've decided, we then notice any signs that confirm our view. Often ignoring other evidence.

Confirmation Bias.

Of course it's racist. 

My point is. We all judge, it's a natural human instinct.

Tolerance is acc

9 minutes ago, SFBT said:

Brilliant. So pleased to see this. We all stereotype and categorize. It's how we work. We are trying to make sense of the world.

Once we've decided, we then notice any signs that confirm our view. Often ignoring other evidence.

Confirmation Bias.

Of course it's racist. 

My point is. We all judge, it's a natural human instinct.

Tolerance is accepting that we judge and moderating our responses.

7 hours ago, JohnJames said:

I just can’t understand what the ref saw. He had a clear, unobstructed view about 5 yards away of their guy had both feet off the ground. It was certainly not a 50/50 ball as someone suggested. 

I know everyone feels they get hard done to by refs by I really don’t think we get the rub of the green with any of them, not that it mattered in the end, thankfully. 

Archived