onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Leyton Orient

Fosse69

Advert

25 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

If Amoo played like that every week he wouldn’t be at Port Vale but playing regular Div 1 or Championship.

He is a Port Vale player and when he plays to his ability is an excellent player and rightly gets the plaudits and encouragement from the fans.

Bennett is white and accused of being lazy and not putting himself about enough but nobody can say it is racist to criticise him.

When will Askey wake up to the fact that Cullen cannot play up front on his own but is a support player to assist Pope or possibly Bennett..

But we have a 100% win record when Cullen starts up front on his own!

20 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

If Amoo played like that every week he wouldn’t be at Port Vale but playing regular Div 1 or Championship.

He is a Port Vale player and when he plays to his ability is an excellent player and rightly gets the plaudits and encouragement from the fans.

Bennett is white and accused of being lazy and not putting himself about enough but nobody can say it is racist to criticise him.

When will Askey wake up to the fact that Cullen cannot play up front on his own but is a support player to assist Pope or possibly Bennett..

Why not use Cullen as a deep lying centre forward, remember them, feeding wingers and midfielders arriving in the box?

Here's a controversial view; I think the officials have been fairly reasonable for a while now.

They'll never get every decision right but there aren't many occassions I've come away incensed with the ref. We all give them a bit of stick for the sport of it but there's not been many times where I've been completely flummoxed/enraged.

There's an argument for their lad going off for the red on Monty, for sure. Bar that, I don't really remember the ref from yesterday at all, which is a good sign.

I can't think of any massively egregious errors against us this year; the penalty for Bradford away, maybe?

I'm in the minority but just think its become the narrative that the refs at this level are always atrocious, and whenever they, as humans, inevitably get a decision wrong, we fall into that trope.

A Cambridge supporting friend was astonished when I told him that Amoo regularly plays from the start.

He said that Cambridge used him as an impact substitute.

Suggests that JA is developing him into a 90 minute player, which will take time.

Great stuff.

5 hours ago, SFBT said:

You make some good points, reflecting that none of this stuff is simple.

It does frustrate me when players are singled out and, whatever they do, they're criticised.

Can't believe it's helpful.

Absolutely.  How can consistent criticism ever help a player?  can only harm his confidence and willingness to perform.  I honestly don't believe it is racism with Amoo, or Legge and Montana would also be singled out. We have had black players at the Vale for years without this racism accusation.  Blimey, Amoo is one of the few that has his own chant!!  I believe the biggest part of it is down to that the fact that he is devastating one week and ineffective the next.  But it isn't just about him is it. he may be up against a better full back, we may be struggling as a team and not getting the ball to him enough etc. First half yesterday we looked for Amoo all the time. The inconsistency isn't even match to match.  First half yesterday he was unplayable, first twenty minutes or so of the second half, terrible, playing it back, seemed frightened to attack, then all of a sudden switched again and score a cracker. As many have said if he didn't do this he would be above L2.  But when you have watched and been excited by him one week and frustrated the next some people, I guess, hit out. A  "steady" player does not get this.

Of course there will be a few racists everywhere, so they would be bound to join in, increasing the volume of criticism. I suppose.  I have certainly never heard anything that I thought for a second was racist inspired against Amoo.  It would be ridiculous if a persons hatred made them do something that harmed the Vale.

2 hours ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

I think Manny could do the holding role perfectly well (if fit) and if required. He certainly wouldn't have got knocked off the ball like Joyce did 2-3 times yesterday which very nearly led to a goal(s)

Could be an option at home where the 3 of them could interchange at will. 

It will be a welcome dilemma for Askey should Manny actually stay fit. (and that's a big if) 

Admittedly, Joyce had one of his poorer games yesterday, but how times have we come away from a match and said Joyce has been our best player? I’d say quite regularly this season. I wouldn’t want Manny in that role. For one, his talents would be wasted, he excels when gliding past players. Secondly, he isn’t a holding midfielder. Joyce has been very good this season and it would be a huge kick in teeth if he got dropped. It won’t happen. 

Unfortunately, I think Burgess will be dropped. He’s improving with every game, but Manny and Taylor are better players. Don’t get me wrong, Burgess has a lot of talent and I’d be quick to tie him down with a new contract. 

50 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Here's a controversial view; I think the officials have been fairly reasonable for a while now.

They'll never get every decision right but there aren't many occassions I've come away incensed with the ref. We all give them a bit of stick for the sport of it but there's not been many times where I've been completely flummoxed/enraged.

There's an argument for their lad going off for the red on Monty, for sure. Bar that, I don't really remember the ref from yesterday at all, which is a good sign.

I can't think of any massively egregious errors against us this year; the penalty for Bradford away, maybe?

I'm in the minority but just think its become the narrative that the refs at this level are always atrocious, and whenever they, as humans, inevitably get a decision wrong, we fall into that trope.

The Liner running the Lorne St side had a mare. Thought maybe his mum bought him a Liners kit for xmas and he was trying it out for the first time without stabilisers.

59 minutes ago, Coyney Valiant said:

Agree totally with foss69 if Amoo played like he did yesterday every game he would not be playing in league 2  he creates a lot of chances and chips in with few goals but you can’t expect him be like Ronaldo every week

Think he lacks confidence CV. Hoped his run and cross that Popey scored from against Man City  would have given him a massive boost, If he can do it there he can do it anywhere in our League. The frustrating thing is he has it in his locker, not asking him to do anything beyond his capability. Just need to open the locker door more often.

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

I think you’re doing the current players Who’ve been playing in the midfield a disservice, Mannys got a lot to prove to force his way back in.

A fit Manny is far better than anything we have in midfield. We played well yesterday but our midfield was definitely our weakness, Joyce had a bad game, Atkinson was our worst player on the pitch and Burgess put a lot of effort but no end product.

16 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Can’t believe some on here thought that wasn’t a red card challenge. That’s a shocker. 

50/50 ball that the lad was entitled to go for. That he committed a foul isn't in doubt, and he was rightly booked for it, but never a red card as there was a genuine attempt to get the ball.

50/50 ball that the lad was entitled to go for. That he committed a foul isn't in doubt, and he was rightly booked for it, but never a red card as there was a genuine attempt to get the ball.

He was entitled to go for the ball but not with his knee / foot at that height !

It's not just me, it's everyone else I sit with in the Lorne Street and we had roughly the same angle as the camera. We've been on the receiving end of those sort of red card decisions before and they were no more correct than it would have been to award a red yesterday. 

Archived