onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Leyton Orient

Fosse69

Some Vale fans will always prioritise running and guts over actual ability.

Not all, but there is a sub-section. Same folk who demand a cross as soon as we pass the half way line and are insistent 'two up top' is the only functioning system in the sport.

If you do a Venn diagram of people who want two up top, people who demand crosses/shots on sight, people who prefer running over ability, and people who don't like Amoo, you get a circle.

Advert

Just now, Joe B said:

Not all, but there is a sub-section. Same folk who demand a cross as soon as we pass the half way line and are insistent 'two up top' is the only functioning system in the sport.

If you do a Venn diagram of people who want two up top, people who demand crosses/shots on sight, people who prefer running over ability, and people who don't like Amoo, you get a circle.

To add to this; same people enjoy giving our less talented players pelters at all times, same people don't understand why a pass would ever go backwards

5 hours ago, Vale fan in Alsager said:

Just caught the last 25 mins Amoos goal fantastic and how did Cullen not score but great save nonetheless then five minutes of bizarre play at end of game where if it had gone on any longer we would have given them a goal so fair play to them finishing game strongly .

A deserved win by the stats  as the hour I missed we look like we were the better side .

A good win 

UTV 

Nathan Smith man of the match.

20 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I think that Cullen would be very good in two up front. And don't think it is necessarily dinosaur football. And it would be nice for us to be able to mix it up and confuse the oppo. But, we do not have the personnel to do it at the moment without being over run in midfield.

With  Jake Taylor and a fit Manny, maybe. It would be nice to have the option.

But as you say, simply stick 2 up front is simplistic.  But it would be good to have the option to go that way when it is a good plan.

2 hours ago, Coyney Valiant said:

Cracking game today thought Cullen was excellent especially in the first half and considering his lack of match practice he gotta start at Swindon next week 

The problem is Askey insists on playing one up front and uses the same tactic of hoofing it up to the player up front.

This is why people were crying out forPope to be bought on to feed off the numerous crosses being put in the box.

Then he takes Cullen off who was playing well with his link up play and replaces him with Pope.

When will Askey learn that Cullen is not a lone striker and needs someone like Pope to feed off.

If we play two up front they need 3 players to mark them and stops them overloading the midfield because with one front they only need two players back to mark him.

Thank God Brown came up with a couple of point blank saves to keep us in the game and Gibbo cleared off the line or else it could have been a different result.

We made hard work of beating another poor team.

15 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Amoo is not lazy. He is not very good defensively. True. And he tends to run out of puff after 60, true. But he is not lazy. If you bother to watch. And saying so is pretty poor form when it is not true.

Let us contrast his treatment with that of Wozza. Nothing against Wozza but he has been very anonymous the last few games. No comments. He runs around a lot. Everything creative today came down our right, Amoo scored the winner.

He's a good player for us Amoo and it really annoys me that this kind of unfair treatment might reasonably make him feel, why should I stay. Come June, Give the bloke some credit and some love, Not constant barracking.

The analogy with JMW is a good one. 

I agree and have said many times that Amoo is not lazy he's inconsistent as is Browne as is Montano when he plays as a winger, as are all wingers, it's much more difficult to create than destroy. The less inconsistent and the more skill they have the higher level they play. The inconsistency with wingers issue is why Alf Ramsey chose to play without wingers in 1966 despite having good ones in his squad. 

I also agree Amoo is a very good player when he's "On", there's no finer sight in football then a winger in full flight, I lost count of the number of times I was out of my seat today when Amoo was running with the ball.

I don't think Worrall is "an out and out winger" but someone who can play out wide effectively and consistently, he can beat a man and put a cross in, he's also shown us this season he can play in the middle, wouldn't surprise me he could do a good job at full back but it wouldn't be his best position. I thought Worrall was great today, his energy levels are just fantastic.

The cry of lazy was often aimed at Montano but paradoxically when he plays at full back he's all over the left side and tries his heart out and again his skill levels are superb. IMHO we have to accept he has a mistake in him but it ain't half fun to watch him play. He wasn't best pleased when he got clattered today.

15 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

The problem is Askey insists on playing one up front and uses the same tactic of hoofing it up to the player up front.

This is why people were crying out forPope to be bought on to feed off the numerous crosses being put in the box.

Then he takes Cullen off who was playing well with his link up play and replaces him with Pope.

When will Askey learn that Cullen is not a lone striker and needs someone like Pope to feed off.

If we play two up front they need 3 players to mark them and stops them overloading the midfield because with one front they only need two players back to mark him.

Thank God Brown came up with a couple of point blank saves to keep us in the game and Gibbo cleared off the line or else it could have been a different result.

Hmm, you've managed to contradict yourself within the same post, which is good going even by your standards Ernie.

"Cullen was playing well with his link up play", as well as "Cullen is not a long striker" and "hoofing it to the player up front".

Which one is it, mate? Did Cullen play well with his link up play or he is not a lone striker, and did he link the play up or was it being hoofed to him? You can't criticise Askey's tactics in the same breath as praising the forward he picked. Pick one line of argument if you're so desperate to have a moan after a win, and as we sit 10th and on the edge of the playoffs.

How many of Amoo's crosses first half came from excellent Cullen through balls, soon after he'd come deep, received the ball to feet, turned, and played in Amoo, something Pope rarely does as he stands on the last man? There's no guarantee bringing Pope on would have yielded the same number of crosses; I argue there would have been less as we struggle to pass with Pope up top, as he doesn't come deep to receive the ball and then play out to the wingers as Cullen did so often today.

"If we play two up front they need 3 players to mark them" is a bafflingly ignorant statement. What do you mean? You mean when every team played 442 twenty years ago, the other team played 3 at the back? Do you watch football games?

I thought bar a late huff and puff from them we looked fairly assured today, and were by far the better side.

Just getting a bit sick of your incessant rubbish posts. Nothing against you as a bloke, just you keep posting absolute tripe. People say put you on the ignore list but someone's got to let you know mate; you have bad opinions. Brings the level of the forum down as you choose to die on this 'Askey is bad' hill.

Slagging Askey as we sit 3 points from 5th after nearly going down is lunacy. Stop posting rubbish.

2 hours ago, LancyTony said:

I misread the bit where you said you would restrict ST tickets to one each! But, I always thought it was a given that ST holders got 2 tickets for cup games, if they wanted? Think that's fairly general, and it would be one of the benefits of buying STs?

No problem, I didn’t know it was a given that ST’s got two tickets.

Big shout out to Scott Brown, more great saves again today, the best of which, from the off side Angol(?), was so good it caused a mini celebration in the Bycars as if we’d scored, including several fans rushing down to the front of the stand. Can’t remember the last time I saw that.

4 hours ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Birchall said,'Why it is every time Tom doesn't play there is always a lot more crosses going in that he would have buried' Mmmm do you see a pattern developing there Birchy lad???

You sum it up correctly, Cullen was the instigator behind the build up to those crosses which wouldn't have happened without him on the pitch. 

I've been a bit critical of Cullen but he was excellent today. Deserves a run in the side like Pope and Bennett have had.  

I was surprised that we made the substitutions when we did, as I thought that we’d got total control of the game, but JA is the manager and the players might have been fatigued. As I said in an earlier post when the subs were due to come on Cullen moved towards the railway paddock. As he was walking off Leon came to him and shook his hand, I don’t know if that was to console him. Glad both players had a standing ovation as they left the pitch.

27 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

You could have fooled me, he was very good today in that role,

I think the thing with amoo is confidence and consistency which is a common theme of players in this division, especially wingers. Not sure I fully agree with the comparisons to jmw though and I think that’s possibly where some people’s frustrations come from. Jmw and Vincent were the last real wingers we had of any note but they were both very different to a amoo because they were so direct. They used to want to get the ball and go and they both got some unfair stick when it didnt work. Amoo is not always so willing to go direct but gets some stick for not doing it. Damned if you do damned if you don’t.  The one thing that is comparable however is that he has the ability to make something happen, just wish some times when you are watching him that he believed that too. If he could find that level of performance today consistently he won’t be here long that’s for sure was the match winner today from the first minute. 

1 minute ago, Guitar Ray said:

Big shout out to Scott Brown, more great saves again today, the best of which, from the off side Angol(?), was so good it caused a mini celebration in the Bycars as if we’d scored, including several fans rushing down to the front of the stand. Can’t remember the last time I saw that.

I stood to applaud as it was a stupendous save, not sure whether he was actually offside for that passage on play. The one a few minutes before was good as well.

10 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I stood to applaud as it was a stupendous save, not sure whether he was actually offside for that passage on play. The one a few minutes before was good as well.

It was given offside. But that doesn't take anything away from the save. Top draw.

5 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

No, not sure where the off side occurred.  Either way, Brownie wasn’t to know.

The new media guy should  compile a montage of Browns saves for the first half of the season.  Would make great viewing.

Archived