onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Leyton Orient

Fosse69

Birchall said,'Why it is every time Tom doesn't play there is always a lot more crosses going in that he would have buried' Mmmm do you see a pattern developing there Birchy lad???
You sum it up correctly, Cullen was the instigator behind the build up to those crosses which wouldn't have happened without him on the pitch. 
I've been a bit critical of Cullen but he was excellent today. Deserves a run in the side like Pope and Bennett have had.  

This is spot on , Cullen was responsible for getting us further up the pitch so we could create crossing opportunities, he can also run in behind which unfortunately Tom can’t do now , so gives other options

Advert

A really good team performance, I hoped we wouldn’t get punished for missing our chances in the first half. Well done to all players. I did notice that when Vale were about to make the double substitution Cullen came over towards the railway paddock, I think he was shocked to be substituted.

Congratulations on the decision to charge £15 a ticket I think it put a couple of hundred on the gate. So well done to whoever decided on the offer. A good day at the office.

When Tom is on the pitch there is often a big gap between him and the midfield/wide men.  Cullen was coming deep to receive the ball so that gap wasn't there and our ball retention was better as team.  Considering Cullen has been very short of game time, I thought he was very good today.  But the sooner we get Nathan Smith signed up the sooner I will believe we have a very exciting future.

Don't know who it was earlier in the thread that said the game could have gone either way, but he watched a different game to myself. At 1-0 you're always a bit nervous going into the last 10 minutes no matter who you're playing, but today a win by two or three goals would have been fully deserved.

Cullen just needs a run of games and he'll be different gravy for us. We all love Tom Pope, but we're a better footballing side without him. That's not a slate on him as a footballer himself whatsoever, but his strengths mean that all too often we lump it forward early hoping he can make something of it against what is usually two 6 foot something lumps that have haggis for breakfast. There's a little bit of McPhee about Cullen although not on his level of course.

Secondly, imagine how good we'll be potentially when we have Taylor and Oyeleke back in the side? The below starting 11 excites me a lot, and I've not been the slightest bit excited for a Port Vale team for a long time now. Not saying that we should drop Joyce and not start with Pope some games... Horses for courses and all that. But for me this could be our strongest starting 11 on paper.

Brown

Gibbons

Smith

Legge

Montano

Oyeleke

Burgess

Taylor

Worrall

Amoo

Cullen

Which brings me to Scott Burgess. I expected nothing from him when he joined and though he would probably play a handful of games for the club in the Cups and probably be gone by January. He's like a Doug Loft in that he brings bags of energy to the midfield, and with Taylor our we really needed his legs today, and he more than played his part. Terrific stuff from him and the rest of the boys, and the gaffer himself.

Today was up there with the best performances this season, really good game. We should have scored more goals, notably the Atkinson and Wozza ones in the first few minutes, and the Wozza Cullen one I the second half, but could have been 4-4.Smith motm closely followed by Amoo and Brown, nobody was less than a 7.

2 hours ago, Biddulph_PV said:

I have to also say that the ref started well but had some utterly bizarre moments. I cannot see how their 14’s assault that nearly took Monty’s head off could have been anything other than red. And if someone goes down expecting a foul, doesn’t get it but then grabs the ball, surely should get an instant yellow for deliberate handball??

Don't agree. It was a 50/50 and although a foul, for which the lad was rightly booked, it was never a red card. 

1 hour ago, Playa Amodores said:

Lance, I’m struggling to understand, what you’re saying. If it was one ticket per season ticket and we don’t have 5,000 ST holders how would we have shifted 8,000 tickets, without them going on general sale.?

I misread the bit where you said you would restrict ST tickets to one each! But, I always thought it was a given that ST holders got 2 tickets for cup games, if they wanted? Think that's fairly general, and it would be one of the benefits of buying STs?

For all the doom and gloom since Morecambe I’ve noticed we’ve actually picked up 10 points in our last 5 league games which is 2 a game and promotion form currently.

Makes Tuesday all the more frustrating but it’s nice to be winning games and we played well today, had the chances to score 4 or 5 although they had a couple of good chances.

Referee has sent 9 players off in 20 games... yet their lad survives that on Monty... it was far worse than Conlon against Walsall for example and looks even worse on the replay than it did at the game. It’s dangerous play and if he connects say with Montys shin like that he’s off let alone his head!

Amoo was good today, Cullen shown more of what I expected when we signed him, his touch is outstanding if you watch him closely.

Tough old set of games now that will dictate our fate, games that so far have favoured us but at least we finally have a full week to recover after four solid weeks of 2 games. Think the Cheltenham game just before Xmas was 9 games ago!

Onwards and upwards.

When are the critics of Amoo who live in the Faceache swamp going to realise that Amoo is viewed as a danger by opposition managers,therefore they double up on him and force him backwards,today the guy playing opposite Amoo was a winger having to play full back, he gave him space and couldn't cope with Amoos pace, hence his first half dominance of Orients defence, also today he was played in with balls by Cullen to run onto,into space, not 2yd passes to his feet when he is surrounded by two or three defenders.

Give the lad a break,he has scored goals he has set goals up, have they already forgotten the run and cross for Popes goal at the Eitihad get behind him and support him he's a Vale player.

He has been accused of not trying for Christs sake, as somebody has already said Artell was not wrong.

Amoo is not lazy. He is not very good defensively. True. And he tends to run out of puff after 60, true. But he is not lazy. If you bother to watch. And saying so is pretty poor form when it is not true.

Let us contrast his treatment with that of Wozza. Nothing against Wozza but he has been very anonymous the last few games. No comments. He runs around a lot. Everything creative today came down our right, Amoo scored the winner.

He's a good player for us Amoo and it really annoys me that this kind of unfair treatment might reasonably make him feel, why should I stay. Come June, Give the bloke some credit and some love, Not constant barracking.

The analogy with JMW is a good one. 

Archived