onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Leyton Orient

Fosse69

13 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Cullen brings alot of energy to the team but lacks a cutting edge.

Great game of football today.  Fully deserved to win it but Brown did have to pull some blinders out of the hat.

Entertaining afternoon at Vale Park this afternoon.

I don't think we've seen the best of Cullen, have we? He must be a bit rusty and, from all accounts, needs and deserves a good run in the side. Hopefully, he'll get a few when he's fully up to speed.

Advert

A good entertaining game and a much welcome 3 points. Thought it should have been more comfortable, but we were guilty of missing 3 clear cut chances.  

Cullen did well up top on his own and a goal would have capped a fine display. However, he couldn't convert, which seems like the same old story for our strikers at the moment. 

Brown showed his class to get us a clean sheet.  

Gibbons had a very good game and saved us again with the clearance off the line. Looked a lot more assured on the ball today compared to the last few away games. 

Smith was very assured and again seemed to be more comfortable on the ball today. A superb raking cross field ball after bringing it out of defence was a particular highlight. Legge solid beside him, can tell he is 34 at times though with his lack of pace.  

Worrall and Monty decent down the left. Shame Monty picked up an injury, hope it isn't long term.  

Burgess had a few decent runs and got stuck, back to his earlier form.  

Thought Joyce and Atkinson were below par. 

Amoo was great first half, caused them problems every time he got the ball. Faded early second half, but popped up with a quality goal that won us the game. 

Cullen did well up top on his own and a goal would have capped a fine display. However, he couldn't convert, which seems like the same old story for our strikers at the moment. 

We aren't a million miles away, just need an extra bit of quality. That team with a fully fit Manny and Taylor would take us up a notch. Overall, it just feels great to be comfortable in January and looking up instead of down. UTV.     

8 minutes ago, Joe B said:

A good performance and a good response to Tuesday.

The changes were spot on; Cullen was excellent in his link up play, dropping deep to play passes out wide. He ran the channels, worked hard, and should have scored. Atkinson's distribution was erratic but his energy and drive offered more than Conlon.

Amoo does it again; he was slightly fortunate to be playing against a winger at left back but he had the beating of him all first half and put in some excellent balls, especially one which Atkinson should have converted. His finish for the goal was excellent.

Assist against Cheltenham in the cup, assist against Cheltenham in the League, assist against Mansfield, goal against Macclesfield, assist against Man City, goal today. That's all since the end of November. The criticism of a League 2 winger who consistently scores or creates because he doesn't like 50/50s and can be lazy is utterly baffling. He's a winger most sides would happily have in this league. Criticise him all you want, but he's scoring and creating. Should have had 1/2 assists first half if finishing was better.

Smith at his consistent best and Brown made 2/3 good saves.

Keeps us in the hunt ahead of hopefully 3 additions in the coming fortnight.

Spot on Re. Amoo.

If we play two strikers today, we don't control the midfield and continually pick up second balls, meaning we don't get the ball out wide as much, and also hinders our ability to get a midfielder forming triangles with the full back and winger, restricting our ability to put the ball into dangerous areas.

Every time its out to a winger the full back gets near and the nearest central midfielder offers inside, allowing us to work the ball into a position where we can put a dangerous cross in.

If we play 442, none of this happens, we get overrun in the middle, Joyce isn't as effective, we don't create as many chances, so its pointless whether we have 1 or 7 strikers on.

Please folks, I beg you; stop going on about 442. No good sides in his league play it, bar Bradford, and they've got Vaughan and Doyle, not Pope and Cullen.

I have to also say that the ref started well but had some utterly bizarre moments. I cannot see how their 14’s assault that nearly took Monty’s head off could have been anything other than red. And if someone goes down expecting a foul, doesn’t get it but then grabs the ball, surely should get an instant yellow for deliberate handball??

Just now, Joe B said:

If we play two strikers today, we don't control the midfield and continually pick up second balls, meaning we don't get the ball out wide as much, and also hinders our ability to get a midfielder forming triangles with the full back and winger, restricting our ability to put the ball into dangerous areas.

If we play 442, we don't create as many chances, so its pointless whether we have 1 or 7 strikers on.

Agree. I thought they looked a decent side at times.

41 minutes ago, Playa Amodores said:

I’d have taken the season tickets holders allocation down to one ticket. I’m a season ticket holder but knew I couldn’t make it when the draw was made, so I didn’t buy a ticket. I have heard from a reliable source that no records were made on a season tickets being used to purchase tickets. This meant that some unscrupulous ST holders had more than their allocated two tickets.

There would still have been only enough tickets for ST holders?

People who think if we'd had two strikes at any point today, that the same chances would have been created and therefore more likely to be finished, are looking at the game incorrectly.

We created the chances because we dominated an insipid Orient midfield.

442 and its likely hoofball as our centre halves aren't good enough on the ball to work it out, and Joyce and AN Other are stifled and unable to pass it through the midfield, and then get it out to Amoo and Worrall.Amoo and Worrall can't play triangles with the full back and the nearest midfielder, and find it harder to get space to whip a ball in. Ergo, crosses don't manifest.

Just purely baffled that a system that sees us 3 points off the playoffs, with largely the same personnel who were nearly relegated playing 442 last season, is consistenly pleaded for.

19 minutes ago, Joe B said:

A good performance and a good response to Tuesday.

The changes were spot on; Cullen was excellent in his link up play, dropping deep to play passes out wide. He ran the channels, worked hard, and should have scored. Atkinson's distribution was erratic but his energy and drive offered more than Conlon.

Amoo does it again; he was slightly fortunate to be playing against a winger at left back but he had the beating of him all first half and put in some excellent balls, especially one which Atkinson should have converted. His finish for the goal was excellent.

Assist against Cheltenham in the cup, assist against Cheltenham in the League, assist against Mansfield, goal against Macclesfield, assist against Man City, goal today. That's all since the end of November. The criticism of a League 2 winger who consistently scores or creates because he doesn't like 50/50s and can be lazy is utterly baffling. He's a winger most sides would happily have in this league. Criticise him all you want, but he's scoring and creating. Should have had 1/2 assists first half if finishing was better.

Smith at his consistent best and Brown made 2/3 good saves.

Keeps us in the hunt ahead of hopefully 3 additions in the coming fortnight.

Absolutely spot on that is about Amoo.  Unfortunately he is the type of player a good few vale fans love to get at. Takes me back to the preferring of Akpo over Leon.

Guy near me is the perfect example.  He isnt happy unless Pope is on the pitch, regardless of what's going on in the game.  Today, he actually said the Cullen and Amoo should have come off and ten minutes before it actually happened (although amoo righty stayed on).  That would have been before amoo actually scored!

He also wasnt happy with the possession keeping in the final third to see the time out.

1 minute ago, eh up nah said:

Absolutely spot on that is about Amoo.  Unfortunately he is the type of player a good few vale fans love to get at. Takes me back to the preferring of Akpo over Leon.

Guy near me is the perfect example.  He isnt happy unless Pope is on the pitch, regardless of what's going on in the game.  Today, he actually said the Cullen and Amoo should have come off and ten minutes before it actually happened (although amoo righty stayed on).  That would have been before amoo actually scored!

He also wasnt happy with the possession keeping in the final third to see the time out.

Each is entitled to his opinion, but those fans frustrate the hell out of me.

Pope or die. Amoo is bad. Get it in the box/shoot at first opportunity.

I know about several people near me with similar views.

Thankfully Askey is at the helm.

Archived