onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Morecambe v Port Vale

Fosse69

28 minutes ago, Santa said:

Can anyone let me know if the players will still be tired on Saturday so I can plan ahead.

Hopefully you'll be fine.

Back on home turf again.

All the excitement has died down now, so life can return to normal.

It does show our limitations though.

Advert

18 minutes ago, Bycarsbill said:

A fair summary.  we're a half decent side--the emphasis unfortunately on the 'half' and as you say we will end up around the 10th-12th position by season's end.  There will be of course the usual doom-mongers calling for the manager's head, but we all need to be realistic and remember just how bad things were during the previous two seasons.  Let's enjoy what we've got, ride with the ups & downs and hope that by next season's campaign we really will be promotion contenders.  But I for one, would have snapped your hand off if, at the beginning of the season you had offered me a solid mid-table prediction!

My take on JA is that he is very steady.

Methodical, strategic and long term.

Ideal for our situation.

There are times, however, when the situation requires a swifter response.

Substitutions being one and re-energising the squad another.

These are perhaps not his greatest strengths and may need developing.

Such an easy job managing a football team!

I think overall we are all happy enough. It's just a sense of ' what if ' . Incredible to think we would of been 3 off automatic promotion ( albeit teams have games in hand ) . 

We are about right position in 10th. If you look at it the negative way we are only 5 ahead of Walsall who to my thinking have had a rubbish season. 

So we are where we will maybe finish come May. I expect to be at Plymouth as the home fans invade the pitch celebrating promotion , maybe next season it will be us. 

Rome wasn't built in a day but by God I'm as frustrated as hell .

To me the Salford game has really gotten in the head of JA and it's almost like a complete reluctance to freshen things up based on that poor display. Keep playing the same side and we'll end up with injuries and finishing nearer 16th than 10th 

1 hour ago, valefan16 said:

I thought maybe tiredness then we vastly improve last thirty! 

Not sure what the answer is, we crush the top sides consistently but equally are poor against the dross of the division. We looked half arsed last night... is it attitude? Conditions?

Its a huge missed opportunity, maybe we need to try two up front when playing the poor sides and go horses for courses more? Weaker sides just slap two centre halves on Pope and we have no outlet then, whereas with another striker you occupy one of the two and have someone to pick up the loose balls.

I have generally been proud of their efforts this season but last night I was furious watching that... if its a one off and we beat Orient I guess we can move on from it but needs to be better as after Orient we have a horrific run of fixtures on paper (all be it games we've tended to do well in)

Swindon A

Exeter H

Salford H (they are going to be a different animal by then)

Northampton A

FGR A

Colchester H

Tough old run that.

For some reason we don't seem to perform too well straight after Christmas.

In the last two seasons we have played 18 matches in January and February and won one game,against Crawley away.

Let's hope our recent win at Stevenage isn't the only one until March?

3 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

A desperately tired team playing in dreadful conditions in there 4th away game on the trot...

Yeh, lets rip into the lads that 10 days ago did us so proud and emptied the tank doing so.  This is the 3rd game away from home since then.

Get a grip ffs.

If they were knackered why were we woeful in the opening 20 and better in the second half? The conditions were the same for them, the pitch was the same for them, and they played some very decent passing football. Its excuses mate. They may have put an almighty shift in versus City but if they're still suffering 10 days later, after half of them didn't play against Salford, then there's an issue with recovery.

Your argument is nonsensical.

You're allowed to praise when we do well (which I have all season) and criticise unacceptable performances, which last night unequivocally was.

I'm seeing a lot of people inventing other fans calling for Askey's head.

People are criticising Askey for last night; probably rightly.

I still think he's a good coach.

I'm yet to see anyone call for his head. Stop inventing things to be outraged about.

I can't believe this has to be said; just because the season is going well doesn't mean we have to overlook obvious issues which need addressing. Last night deserved criticism, as does our record against bottom half teams.

That being said, its a good season.

The lows see more extreme comments than the highs IMO and footballs a game where it’s easy to be critical of every decision. Last night at the game even before they’d scored some blokes behind were calling them all names under the sun. Just knee jerk reactions that to me are unnecessary and people get a bit carried away with it. There’s no middle ground with football .

1 hour ago, SFBT said:

My take on JA is that he is very steady.

Methodical, strategic and long term.

Ideal for our situation.

There are times, however, when the situation requires a swifter response.

Substitutions being one and re-energising the squad another.

These are perhaps not his greatest strengths and may need developing.

Such an easy job managing a football team!

Absolutely spot-on!

5 hours ago, Howjy04 said:

We started playing when the subs were made.The ball was passed around and we nearly nicked a point.Until then we were garbage.Pope can’t play 2 games in the space of 4 days.Hopefully that will now sink in.

It isn't the two games in 4 days that is the problem it is playing up front on his own with little to no service. Remember 'Feed the Pope.....'. If Tom was a dog Askey would be charged with cruelty for starving him!!

I for one aren't calling for John Askey's head and I was never expecting a charge for promotion in Carol and Kevin's first season. Having said that though most games this season haven't been an easy watch with us especially at home scratching for a goal to win a game or salvage a point.

Surely the Manager should be able to see that by playing two strikers we become a more potent unit. Take last night we got on top when we played two men up top in the last 20 minutes or so but it wasn't down to better personnel being brought on. It would be because it simply gave the Morecombe defence a little more to think about.

I would bet that had Askey played with a second striker alongside the 'all so worn out and tired' Tom Pope that we would have beaten Morecombe last night.

Don't forget that until Conlon got tripped on Saturday we never looked like scoring a goal. Amoo is quite simply a waste of a shirt at the present time and until he snaps out of his woeful efforts needs dropping. The sad part here is that he is a decent player when he wants to be!

If Askey continues with his one up front policy on Saturday we will struggle to beat another of the division's poorer teams once again.

Come on John it isn't a very pretty sight watching us huff and puff to score against so called inferior opposition. 

23 minutes ago, old sage said:

It isn't the two games in 4 days that is the problem it is playing up front on his own with little to no service. Remember 'Feed the Pope.....'. If Tom was a dog Askey would be charged with cruelty for starving him!!

I think the problem is when we can’t feed him, which is a very basic game plan of getting crosses into the box, we have no plan B. He can’t run in behind, so we are very one dimensional with our plan of attack. We could try two up front (which I think suits Pope better), but I don’t think we have midfielders that are good enough to play in a two. We tried it and got massively overrun. 

The wingers aren’t good enough to consistently beat their man, and the fact Pope hasn’t scored in the league from open play since October backs this up. 

We need a re-think of how we are going to cause opposition problems. 

But what is the alternative to Pope, no-one else apart from Taylor scores consistently.

Nobody gets a decent run in the team to cement a place , ok maybe Bennett but Cullen and Archer definitely haven’t .

I love Tom pope we all do he’s a club legend but sadly we have to a have a plan going forward to replace him

Banging on about 2 up top is getting tiring.

Once again we're into that age-old debate;

When Pope is good; up the Pope, he is class!

When Pope is bad; he needs feeding! Not his fault.

Our chance creation isn't the best but I find it hard to rationalise that a forward with possible the best winger in the league in David Worrall (who is top 5 for assists and crosses this year), and a good winger (on his day) in Amoo who recently went on a run of scoring and assisting every week for 4/5 games, isn't being fed. He's unlikely to get much better wingers at this level, and then add in two attacking fullbacks who can put a ball in in Gibbo and Monty.

Pope's a legend but we can't excuse 2 open play goals in 24 with a lot of our play being predicated down the wings. Always a place for him at the Vale but a new starting striker is needed. 433 has done a good job in making us tough to beat and we can't throw it all out of the window because Pope doesn't suit it.

Archived