onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Morecambe v Port Vale

Fosse69

There’s been too much reliance on the same starting 11 because the squad overall is lacking in depth. Sometimes it needs freshening up and Askey is reluctant to do so.

In my opinion our attacking options are very limited and we don’t score enough goals or create nearly enough. Pope is past his best days and is just too immobile these days. Yes, there is no one better at attacking crosses, but bar Man City, how many times a game are we giving him the opportunity to get on the end of a decent cross? It isn’t working with him up top. However, the problem is that our alternative options are also not working. Bennett looks way off it recently and can’t hold the ball up to save his life. He is more mobile though so is it worth giving him another go? As for Cullen, I do think there’s something about him but he won’t get enough opportunities under Askey. Again, should he be having his chance now?

Now onto the wide men... Worrall is clearly one of our better players and is having a great season, though I do think his lack of pace lets him down at times. As for Amoo, on his day he can look a very decent winger at this level but he just doesn’t look interested. Half the time he goes missing and doesn’t have the confidence to attack the full back with purpose. However, Askey can only persist with these two on bad days because we have no wide player to come on and change the game or add something different.

Its hard to be critical as we are playing a lot better football this season in comparison to previous seasons. It’s just frustrating as a win tonight would put us in a very good position. I hope the season just doesn’t fall flat and peter out now.

Advert

Just now, osprey said:

The lad from Forest we have on trial is a right back which is one area i dont think we need 

25 minutes ago, osprey said:

yes - realistic view

21 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Seems like a wise decision... I shall join you in that one! 

Jake Taylor has gone up another 20 grand. 

Yes he won the penalty on Saturday but Conlon has had two woeful games . 

Sadly tonight was Vale all over. Sometimes not the best time to post when you are angry . It hasn't surprised anybody really as it's what we do . Don't think we have won successive league games all season ? 

We are doing okay but I'm as angry and frustrated as everyone else. And whilst I admire any attempt to increase crowds I don't see a fiver off bringing many more in on Saturday especially now. 

To take one point from Macc and Morecambe is scandalous yet we beat Swindon comfortably, work that one out 

Not surprised one little bit by this after Saturday. Another unacceptably poor performance against another relegation threatened team, leaving a lot of unanswered questions about the way we are set up, the motivation of the players, and our complete lack of consistency. Askey has improved us beyond recognition but he has a stack of issues to address. Someone said don't mention the playoffs - of course, for the simple reason that if we carry on as we are, we have no chance of making it. 

For me, we are particularly weak in midfield, where games are won and lost, but it goes beyond that to questions of organisation, motivation and determination. 

A night to forget.

2 minutes ago, Heatwave said:

No major changes till the close season, unless JA uses the loan market. Performances like the one tonight just might convince him.

Some of the chats from our Owners and JA on Radio Sjoke seem to hint this will be happening.  Makes sense in one way to use the loan market and get our lower down the list fringe players out on loan.  Just hope the last couple of games have shown JA and Co we don't have the squad capable of play off's and worried we may start to slip to mid or just below at this rate if their confidence takes a knock or we pick up injuries to certain players that seem to produce the goods week in week out.

I would agree that Taylor Gabriel, as good as he might be, is pretty much bottom of our list of priorities at present. We have a good right back, Atkinson got MOTM when he made his debut there, Brisley as cover at centre half as well as Crooks back next week.

3 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Jake Taylor has gone up another 20 grand. 

Yes he won the penalty on Saturday but Conlon has had two woeful games . 

Sadly tonight was Vale all over. Sometimes not the best time to post when you are angry . It hasn't surprised anybody really as it's what we do . Don't think we have won successive league games all season ? 

We are doing okay but I'm as angry and frustrated as everyone else. And whilst I admire any attempt to increase crowds I don't see a fiver off bringing many more in on Saturday especially now. 

To take one point from Macc and Morecambe is scandalous yet we beat Swindon comfortably, work that one out 

Its Vale - for years we manage to beat the top teams and lose to those at the bottom. seems to have always been the case whatever squad we have 

4 minutes ago, osprey said:

Its Vale - for years we manage to beat the top teams and lose to those at the bottom. seems to have always been the case whatever squad we have 

Yes, and if someone does not address this endemic inconsistency, we will be where we are now, in the fourth tier, for a long time. That is the biggest challenge facing the club. If we want to go up, we have to change.

1 minute ago, toyahw said:

We were so garbage for the first 60 it defied belief. Against the bottom team. They played us off the pitch.

Reality check.

This is the correct take.

A lot of people arguing 'remember where we were last year, we've had a good season, moaners out in force' etc etc

All that has nothing to do with the fact we've been awful against two sides with, prior to these 2 games, 6 wins in 50, and home attendances at or below 2,000, less than half of our guaranteed gate through STs.

Fans are rightly aggrieved. We could have been a win off the automatic promotion spots tonight.

That doesn't negate fans being pleased with a decent season. They aren't mutually exclusive.

I've been an advocate of patience and optimism but it is plain and obvious this squad needs refreshing; vast swathes are out of contract and several are ageing and will very soon decline.

To reiterate; still a good season. Just a whole lot of work to do.

1 minute ago, Joe B said:

This is the correct take.

A lot of people arguing 'remember where we were last year, we've had a good season, moaners out in force' etc etc

All that has nothing to do with the fact we've been awful against two sides with, prior to these 2 games, 6 wins in 50, and home attendances at or below 2,000, less than half of our guaranteed gate through STs.

Fans are rightly aggrieved. We could have been a win off the automatic promotion spots tonight.

That doesn't negate fans being pleased with a decent season. They aren't mutually exclusive.

I've been an advocate of patience and optimism but it is plain and obvious this squad needs refreshing; vast swathes are out of contract and several are ageing and will very soon decline.

To reiterate; still a good season. Just a whole lot of work to do.

Totally agree.

So far a better season than i expected but a long long way to go

Think of it this way. Which players do we have that will be good enough to get us promoted?

There arent too many at all

2 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

Totally agree.

So far a better season than i expected but a long long way to go

Think of it this way. Which players do we have that will be good enough to get us promoted?

There arent too many at all

Brown Gibbons Smith Worrall Taylor ( if signed ) Joyce .

Good question. For me only 3 maybe 4 however we do have 11 players, if motivated to play against top 10 teams have shown all season they are good enough to get us in the play offs. If only we could just play the top 6 until the end of the season!

Archived