Fosse69

Match Thread: Morecambe v Port Vale

I have been saying it all season that John Askey is too negative. He plays Pope isolated up front on his own with the midfield about 25 yards behind him. It is clear that the only way to play is with a second striker up front with Pope and as Bennett doesn't look capable it's either Cullen or the need to bring a new partner in to give us more bite. Expecting Pope with very little decent service to battle against two and three defenders plus refs that never give a free kick in Tom's favour gives him little chance of scoring like we know that he can.

I'm sorry to say it but the manager isn't helping us. All this talk about us playing 4 3 3 is rubbish because in reality he only plays 1 man up front and is the reason why we consistently struggle to beat teams who are solid at the back like the ones near to the bottom of the league who defend like their lives depend upon it!.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Woakesy said:

Special mention to Morecambe fans who had some bizarre yet great songs.

I was tempted to join in with the Bennett one.

The first 70 minutes Morecambe looked like Barcelona against us. It was a very lazy performance. We got what we deserved, nothing.

22 minutes ago, Santa said:

Why does it always feel like Scott Brown gets sent out to face the media whenever things go badly? 

Who knows Santa? Just watched Scott's post match interview. He spoke well and called it straight.

Still, after being one step away from relegation from the football league - no thanks to NS - our current position of 10th/38 points is consistent with expectations of rebuilding with an eye on promotion to L1 in 20/21.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Aussie Rules said:

Who knows Santa? Just watched Scott's post match interview. He spoke well and called it straight.

Still, after being one step away from relegation from the football league - no thanks to NS - our current position of 10th/38 points is consistent with expectations of rebuilding with an eye on promotion to L1 in 20/21.

That wont go down well with some on here, too many want heads on stakes at every setback.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, old sage said:

I have been saying it all season that John Askey is too negative. He plays Pope isolated up front on his own with the midfield about 25 yards behind him. It is clear that the only way to play is with a second striker up front with Pope and as Bennett doesn't look capable it's either Cullen or the need to bring a new partner in to give us more bite. Expecting Pope with very little decent service to battle against two and three defenders plus refs that never give a free kick in Tom's favour gives him little chance of scoring like we know that he can.

I'm sorry to say it but the manager isn't helping us. All this talk about us playing 4 3 3 is rubbish because in reality he only plays 1 man up front and is the reason why we consistently struggle to beat teams who are solid at the back like the ones near to the bottom of the league who defend like their lives depend upon it!.

Spot on my friend ....

I saw about 60 minutes. It is the worst 60 minutes I have seen since Saturday. A woeful run and we are still 10th, I will take that but the way have done it is mightilly frustrating. Are we good but underforming at times or crap and been lucky against top teams??😃

So at 19.39 I popped out pick me daughter up from the hospital where she works so driving home after dropping her off I say to my gf just check the Vale score about 19.59 thinking we surely going perform tonight after lucky win at the weekend to find we were two behind v Morecambe already .

So I have to ask the question can the manager motivate ?

We only played better from 60 mins when the changes were made so I’m asking why didn’t he start with two up front .

What annoyed me the most about this result /performance is that obviously Carol /Kevin are trying to attract the very folk who went to the etihad to the home games well losing 2-1 to Morecambe ain’t going get folk interested in going anytime soon and is just the result what means we will forever be seeing just 4000 to maximum 4500 turning up .

On performance v Swindon and the likes of Plymouth we are deserving of 7000 crowds but the likes of Walsall performance at home and recent away displays will have left a sour taste in most followers mouths and gates of 4300 will be the outcome .

Last night we had a chance build momentum but failed miserably .

Good to see some supporters behind the players and manager .

If I worked in a team of 11 folk in my job and eight of them were not at it we would all be unemployed.

Thats the beauty of football they can put it right on sat and last night would be forgotten about .

In real life folk do not get that luxury .

Whoever did away with the reserve league games is culpable as well as it means you going burn out all your good players and have no back up .

if it was Askey I’d ask him why he as done that ? 

UTV 

Frustrating result but it's the bigger picture that is important, I'm much more comfortable where Vale are this season compared to the last two.

Sometimes gotta hand it to the opposition, Morecambe played some decent stuff especially 1st half and their new manager has recently signed a couple of good players in Phillips and Diagouraga, Mendes Gomes also looked useful to, typical Vale to play them when all 3 shine.

We started playing when the subs were made.The ball was passed around and we nearly nicked a point.Until then we were garbage.Pope can’t play 2 games in the space of 4 days.Hopefully that will now sink in.

6 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

But what is the alternative to Pope, no-one else apart from Taylor scores consistently.

Pope has scored in 3 league games?Any money that was being allocated towards signing Taylor should now be used to buy a striker.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Well I’ve seen a freeze frame of the moment the ball was played and he is offside. It may have looked offside because it was!

I’ve just watched the highlights & it was 100% onside. 

When the ball is played, both their players are clearly on the penalty box line. 

Oh & the Joyce one later in the game was offside. He tried to step onside but wasn’t quick enough.

Thought the liner had a really good game.

In the end we arguably had enough chances in that second half to nick something, but we’d given ourselves a big uphill battle going 2 down. They adapted to the conditions a lot better than us, first half we were playing into the wind and instead of launching it we tried to keep it on the deck. But a lack of movement  and options for players on the ball meant that possession was meaningless. We keep doing the same things that weren’t working at all and it was frustrating to watch. I think I said I’m another thread than Conlon does the same job as Joyce and last night it was evident especially first half that IMO when they play together we become too predictable. It wasn’t too bad when we went for it but when it’s 4-3-3 you end up with 2 players sitting deeper trying to dictate play. Second half we were better, I thought Conlons chance before we actually scored was a good one that maybe he could have done better with. The decision to bring Pope off was the right one and I thought Cullen did well. But when you want someone to come on and inject some urgency and to rattle their centre halves then Bennett isn’t your man, again he was too easily beaten in the air and when he received it with his back to goal. I liked Morecambes Bennet song by the way.  Amoo was similar at times, didn’t look like he wanted to get at his man and spent a lot of time looking for fouls. He also gave Gibbons very little in the way of forward options.  Worrall had another quiet game, and maybe the fact he’s had 2 quiet games is a factor in us not firing on all cylinders? Monty was hot and cold, he’s too rash and gives away too many free kicks at times and also has a tendency to get too tight and is then rolled easily, if he’s to continues at left back then he needs to learn that side of the game. Legge had a poor first half, getting on the ball is not his game and we should have down something differently first half because that played in to Morecambes hands. Smith had another steady game and kept on battling. But my MOM was Gibbo, defended well, kept going down that right hand side, scored a fantastic goal and looked like he wanted to be there too, like it meant something. It’s a pity that our fringe players aren’t doing enough to force their way in because I think that we need to freshen it up a touch and some possibly players need a rocket up their arse to go out and do it more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Joe B said:

People who don't have at least some concerns after our performances at the worst professional teams in the country are being a tad silly.

Whether their goal was offside, or our players were tired; that was very poor. Bar a huff and puff near the end we've been played off the park by a team who had won 4 in 26 before.

I have been ultra-optimistic all season and still consider 12th a good return; but people taking the mick out of people criticising that shower of a performance are being a bit daft.

You're allowed to rightly criticise woeful performances.

A desperately tired team playing in dreadful conditions in there 4th away game on the trot...

Yeh, lets rip into the lads that 10 days ago did us so proud and emptied the tank doing so.  This is the 3rd game away from home since then.

Get a grip ffs.

Edited by Nofinikea
  • Like 2

I can't really put two soft goals in the first ten minutes down to tiredness.

We turned up, ponced about on the ball for about 70 minutes and got what we deserved.

We can't keep playing the 'it's better than last season' / 'at least we've still got a club' card every time we turn in a poor performance.