onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Morecambe v Port Vale

Fosse69

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

I did type out a massive response Mike, but I concede he's your favourite player and there's no point as we're never going to look at it objectively. He's given me some of the best memories of my life, but 2 open play goals in 24 (15 x 90 mins in total) is not a good return by any metric, and we can't keep living in the past.

Popey's a legend, no doubt. Just think we could freshen up the front line a bit, whilst still retaining a place in the 18 for him.

Name a better striker at the club ?

Askey chooses to play 433  to me its as much 451 so who gets your choice ?

Hes tried to forget Pope, for several games if i remember he was not chosen but there is no one any better

Advert

4 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Putting aside the number of goals our forwards have scored, I’ve seen enough of Bennett this season to come to the opinion that outside of his handful of goals he offers very little else to the team that a lone forward should. Pope is head and shoulders above him in that regard IMO. 

As I said, neither will be a mainstay of a promotion chasing team.  

16 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

No one disputes it was a great goal at the Etihad, but as they say one swallow does not  make a summer.  I am not saying he has no part to play, but with his strike rate from open play over the last 2 years+ It makes you18-20 goal forecast frankly ridiculous, unless we win a penalty every other game!

BE do I have to draw you a picture of what a tongue in cheek looks like?😁

1 hour ago, CambridgeDon said:

Your comments about the midfield are spot on. From the games I've seen this season, there's too little movement and far too often limited options for the player on the ball, with the inevitable result that it's lofted towards Pope who has the thankless task of trying to do something with it while being double-marked. We are also physically small by comparison to most L2 teams and get bullied off the ball - this paid off for Conlon on Saturday when he was bundled over for the penalty but all game he'd been physically bullied off the ball. If we had the luxury of regularly playing a midfield of Joyce, Oyeleke and Taylor, we would be a match for most L2 teams but these last two games have shown how limited the squad is. At present, the missing ingredients are creativity, passing, movement and physical presence.

Personally I don't think making signings now would necessarily boost what limited chances we have of making the play offs. Askey would probably be better to wait until the summer when we need at least a left back, two midfield players, one or more strikers and another centre half. With a bit of luck, Campbell-Gordon is going to be another Gibbo, but it's probably a bit early for him. It's going to be a busy summer.

Spot on

Our midfield and wide mens creativity and movement is poor. Without Talyor we would have struggled. We may now have lost Taylor for good and if so we do need to find an alternative. He offers movement and also has a brain to make the right runs at the right time too.

Just now, Bald Eagle said:

that Is the Managers job, but ironically Tom is nowhere near that figuredespite taking the penalties.  

No one is near it. Goals are a problem and I think this will be a test of the owners and the money they are willing to throw at it to try and support the manager and get a goal scorer in. Or they stumble on an unknown gamble from lower leagues. 

4 minutes ago, Old fort said:

BE do I have to draw you a picture of what a tongue in cheek looks like?😁

It’s been a long day! You should have suggested a 5 year contract extension / stand naming and I might have twigged!

With Max now leaving we could also throw in the Head of Social Media Role for good measure😉

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Some of our fans don’t want patient football. Last night there were a number of fans yelling at players because they played the ball square. I know we were pants last night but hoofing the ball long into that gale blowing against us would have been madness. Let’s see what happens on Saturday before consigning this season to the dustbin. 

I agree with keeping hold of the ball but unless you have movement from midfield and wide men you soon have no option other than Popey where are you. The gale blowing doesnt matter as we still hoof the ball far too much because we have no other option created for the player on the ball.

We are not Man City. Its simple how they did it against us. One up front and hes 5ft 6in but then several options all over the pitch and all moving to help create the next pass

Just as a thought, I've just had a look at James Hansons on Wiki, given that he's, and is a similar type of player to Tom, and he seems to be having similar problems  in front of goal at the moment. Not sure how Holloway will use him going forward and he is a year or two younger than Tom, but again, the old type of big centre forward does seem to becoming an endangered species,  even in L2. 

6 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

It’s been a long day! You should have suggested a 5 year contract extension / stand naming and I might have twigged!

With Max now leaving we could also throw in the Head of Social Media Role for good measure😉

No problem👍

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Come on now, mate. No one is saying he's rubbish, just he shouldn't be our main striker.

He's played 24 games against League 2 opposition and only scored 4 times, 2 of them penalties, the other 2 in the same game against ten men. He's yet to score a non-penalty goal against 11 men. He's played 62 in the last 2 seasons and score 15, 6 of them penalties.

You can't argue 'he scored against Man City' and then dismiss 'he's failed to score against the worst professional teams in the country, apart from penalties, in 23 of his 24 games'. It works both ways.

By the same logic, Amoo set up Pope with a pearl of a cross in front of 50000+ people against a team which cost £200 milion and some on here are questioning his ability as a winger? Are you having a laugh?

Alas, because Amoo is far from a legend people have the rationality to accept he's been below par in the league, as has Pope, unfortunately.

Ok so lets stop the criticism of Pope and put your efforts into criticising  

Amoo Worrall Bennett Cullen Brown Archer Montano Conlan Burgess and so on for our attacking ang goal scoring options. There wont be too many match performances, Worrall apart, where criticism would be the main comment.

Will also say again   Why is Askey picking Pope every week or are you saying Askey is a poor manager and doesnt have a clue

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Pope scored our only goal of the game in front of 50000+ people against a team which cost £200 million and some on here are questioning his ability? Are you having a laugh?

Careful mate, some on here will be calling you a happy clapper if you're not careful. 

It's a tough job playing the lone striker role when hardly anyone else in the team (bar Taylor) is scoring goals. Occasionally we still have games where we create very little and the half time discussion is often about the opposition keeper not having had to make a save in anger.

Pope, for me, even at his age, is by a country mile the best we've got for that role. Bennett is capable of grabbing the odd goal and runs around a lot but plays in carpet slippers, struggles to keep the ball and lacks physical presence for a big lad. Sadly, both Cullen and Archer have never got going and apparently not suited to the way we set up, though I'd quite like to see more of Archer.

Teams going for promotion tend to score 70-80 goals or more. We are light years away from that, with only Pope and Taylor looking capable of double figures. We need one of the wingers to get 10, and another midfielder to chip in with 6-8, as well as the centre halves getting 5-6 each. But it isn't happening.

I'd quite like to see us signing a solid left back and moving Monty up front and putting Worrall back on the right wing. In midfield it would be Taylor and Oyeleke for me just ahead of Joyce, and that might give us a wee bit more firepower. But at present, for all their good intentions and odd glimpses of real ability I don't see the likes of Amoo, Conlon and Burgess being quite good enough and Worrall too has to score a lot more.

It's much better than last year - much better and far more entertaining - but we are still 4-5 better players short of the top three in my view. 

That said, we're building slowly and if we can add 2-3 more in the summer we'll hopefully do better next year although I'm worried about finding a replacement for Pope [and for Legge].

I cast my mind back to Adams' team that got promoted (just) and we then had a stronger, more physical team with 4-5 lads who were capable of scoring double figures, not just 1-2. Pope in his prime. Dodds. Vincent. Myrie-Williams. Lee Hughes after January. We need similar if we are aiming for the top three places.

14 hours ago, cheshirevaliant said:

I'm not sure it will be much harder next year, Cav, unless somehow Plymouth, Exeter, Swindon, Bradford all miss out. Southend will be lucky not to fall straight through, Bolton seem to have resorted to being battered every week again and I suspect we would beat any of MK, Wimbledon and Tranmere currently. In terms of the teams currently in the top 7 of the Conference, only 2 have any recent league experience. 

It's a missed opportunity this season (as things stand) in terms of our inability to beat teams at the bottom, but I'm not expecting us to suddenly plummet down the league next year. 

Bolton will walk it I think with their support and bully teams. Salford will surely be about. Who knows 

Archived