onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Before yesterday Stevenage had lost one game in their last nine homes.  Lots of other teams in our league have failed to win or even score there so I don't think we should be upset that we managed to do so.

Agreed Jacko and a good 3 points it was, especially satisfying considering who their manager is. I suppose the point I was trying to make and probably doing so badly was that we aren't a promotion side. After the 3 seasons we have just had we can hardly expect to be . This season mid table is an improvement. Of course I would be chuffed if we got promoted but just think its unrealistic to beat the manager, the players and  ourselves up if we dont achieve it this season. Perhaps the lacklustre performance against Stevenage shouldn't be taken in isolation. Games like Walsall at home, Mac away perhaps illustrate  that our inconsistent performances  and lack of  goals scored will keep us in this division for this season. But we also know we are capable of a Swindon like performance but not week in, week out.

As Greavsie used to say " Its a funny old game Saint "

Advert

5 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

I think we are not mid table. We are a top 10 side. The gap between us and the rest below is quite large now. 10th is our minimum aim now surely? 

A playoff push has to be the target. I mean we are only 6 points off an automatic place! 

Naturally it won’t be a disaster if it does not happen but it has to be hoped for. 

https://quotefancy.com/quote/767229/Aristotle-Our-problem-is-not-that-we-aim-too-high-and-miss-but-that-we-aim-too-low-and

4 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

I think we are not mid table. We are a top 10 side. The gap between us and the rest below is quite large now. 10th is our minimum aim now surely? 

A playoff push has to be the target. I mean we are only 6 points off an automatic place! 

Naturally it won’t be a disaster if it does not happen but it has to be hoped for. 

Askey quite bullish today in his comments , why not aim high . Staggering that even if we win at Morecambe we remain 10th , seems we have been 10th forever  

What a refreshing change from cacking myself in games against Chesterfield Notts County Mansfield, where it felt like we were staring at the abyss 

I think the fact that we've beaten most of the sides in the top 7, coupled with being within 2 favourable swings of the top 7, and obstensibly having a least some cash to spend in January (we clearly had some put aside for Taylor's two bids, which can now be used for other players) means that there's no harm in Vale fans hoping for the playoffs.

I've kept expecting the season to meander into a mid-table borefest but we keep picking up points and are amongst the hardest teams in the division to beat. 6 losses in 26 is exceptional, built on what has become a very good back 4, reinforced by an excellent keeper, and one of the league's best defensive midfielders in front of them.

Anything in the top half is a good season, but for the first time I'm having genuine aspirations that, given 2/3 signings (a mobile striker capable of being the lone striker in a 433 being paramount) and the return of Oyeleke, we could be that team who arrives in 7th in good form.

33 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Askey quite bullish today in his comments , why not aim high . Staggering that even if we win at Morecambe we remain 10th , seems we have been 10th forever  

What a refreshing change from cacking myself in games against Chesterfield Notts County Mansfield, where it felt like we were staring at the abyss 

There are still 20 games to play, he has to have his players looking up as well as the fans coming to watch. Lots can happen, relaxing now the cups are out of the way would be the wrong message, maintaining a winning mentality to carry through to next season should be the priority on the pitch, and  strengthening in his mind.

The next couple of games will be a real battle. For some reason some people expect to beat sides at or near to the bottom of the table 4 and 5 nil, and while this can happen on a good day, more often than not it's a scrap for the 3 points and any sort of complacence usually gets you found out. Our better performances this season have come against the better sides in the league, teams that don't just sit back and actually try to play a bit of football. A few might want 3 or 4 but I'd take a 0-1 victory over Morecambe all day long.

24 minutes ago, TylerB said:

The next couple of games will be a real battle. For some reason some people expect to beat sides at or near to the bottom of the table 4 and 5 nil, and while this can happen on a good day, more often than not it's a scrap for the 3 points and any sort of complacence usually gets you found out. Our better performances this season have come against the better sides in the league, teams that don't just sit back and actually try to play a bit of football. A few might want 3 or 4 but I'd take a 0-1 victory over Morecambe all day long.

Most games in L2 are tight affairs, Stevenage have conceded 31 same as us, Macclesfield  27, but Morecambe 45. More a problem of scoring goals for them, but Morecambe looks promising for us? 

1 minute ago, Fosse69 said:

Most games in L2 are tight affairs, Stevenage have conceded 31 same as us, Maccesfield  27, but Morecambe 45. More a problem of scoring goals, but Morecambe looks promising? 

Most teams now are at the very least organised. Teams at the bottom are hard to beat at this time of the year because players are fighting for their careers. Add in ifollow which allows managers to analyse every opposition to death and scoring 4 or 5 goals becomes a big ask against most teams.

Stevenage were very good yesterday at giving away minor fouls just inside our half whenever Amoo and Worrall had some space further forward. Seemed a pretty obvious ploy to stop us getting their full backs isolated one on one. Teams will know that is how we are most dangerous going forward and look to nullify us.

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

Most games in L2 are tight affairs, Stevenage have conceded 31 same as us, Macclesfield  27, but Morecambe 45. More a problem of scoring goals for them, but Morecambe looks promising for us? 

Be nice to win by a few, but I expect another tight affair. In this league more than any other sides can drag you down to their level, especially when playing on their own pitch. Most games are battles, fortunately for us with the likes of Legge, Smith and Gibbons in the side, along with the best keeper in League Two, we're able to compete regularly under Askey, while also being able to more and match the better teams that try to play more football. The one thing that has only really let us down at times this season is a lack of concentration when winning games.

This was a must win for us and luckily the penalty was awarded, or else we’d still be playing today and we wouldn’t have scored. It was a very poor game, played by two poor teams. Credit to Stevenage, they had their fair share of chances and really should have scored at least one. Ultimately, that will be their downfall, they can’t find that finishing touch. Credit to ours boys though, we stuck at it and finally got a bit of luck for once. The finish was never in doubt. The front three played poorly today, especially Worrall. I love Wozz, but he just had one of them days today. They were a physical side and he just couldn’t get going. Popey had a tough game and didn’t really seem to win much in the air. Amoo was quiet. Conlon isn’t the answer in midfield, he’s too negative. The quicker Manny or Taylor come back the better. Burgess was steady, not spectacular. Joyce played well. The back four also did okay, they all helped in getting the clean sheet. Last, but not least, Browny was superb. Mr Reliable kept us in it. 

The next two games are now massive. 6 points is absolute must. The run of games after the next two are very tough. Anything less than 6 points and I think the play-offs are out of reach for us. Are we good enough for the play-offs? I’m not sure. 

7 hours ago, Joe B said:

Don't think I ever suggested we had  'devine' right to beat the likes of Morecambe; just that, considering we are 10th with 38 points and they're 23rd with 19 points, the chances are we will. Betting people will bet on us. Really weird reading of what I said. Suggesting a side just outside the playoffs should be beating a side who would be going down if Bury hadn't liquidated isn't arrogance, just common sense.

Apologies. I did not mean to suggest that you had, it was a general comment after the response to the direct bit of your post that I quoted.

This was a must win for us and luckily the penalty was awarded, or else we’d still be playing today and we wouldn’t have scored. It was a very poor game, played by two poor teams. Credit to Stevenage, they had their fair share of chances and really should have scored at least one. Ultimately, that will be their downfall, they can’t find that finishing touch. Credit to ours boys though, we stuck at it and finally got a bit of luck for once. The finish was never in doubt. The front three played poorly today, especially Worrall. I love Wozz, but he just had one of them days today. They were a physical side and he just couldn’t get going. Popey had a tough game and didn’t really seem to win much in the air. Amoo was quiet. Conlon isn’t the answer in midfield, he’s too negative. The quicker Manny or Taylor come back the better. Burgess was steady, not spectacular. Joyce played well. The back four also did okay, they all helped in getting the clean sheet. Last, but not least, Browny was superb. Mr Reliable kept us in it. 
The next two games are now massive. 6 points is absolute must. The run of games after the next two are very tough. Anything less than 6 points and I think the play-offs are out of reach for us. Are we good enough for the play-offs? I’m not sure. 

People are forgetting we’ve actually been decent against the better teams this season

On 12/01/2020 at 08:14, ClntonBoulton said:

Hey up yewth.....almost a home game for you that is int it? Obviously I've not seen them in the flesh living and working in Baku but I've watched every game on iFollow and I think you're being a bit harsh on Burgess. I think yesterday he was missing his mucker JT. He has grown and matured week by week and I've liked what I've seen. I think he is developing into a tidy midfielder. Conlon, I'm still not sure when you have Jake Taylor to compare him with. Having said that he worked his taters off to get that penalty yesterday....a lot would have given that up. 

The one that has always got me is the criticism Joycey got under Aspin when he was like a fish out of water, played in the wrong system. I remember being well impressed when we signed him because he had been part of that Carlisle team that came up the Vale last game of the season and toyed with us....almost playing 5 a side stuff in their own area before breaking....Keith Curle's last game I think? I thought Joycey was a great signing and we are now seeing it consistently.....he just does all the simple stuff and works his a$%e off, always available, not afraid to put his foot in and just keeps us going forward as he tidies up in front of the back 4. 

As a few have said, I'll take 3 points from there thank you very much even playing like that. Someone has also said we need to get Smiffy signed up PDQ......he is consistently performing well and the thing I like about him is he is one of those quiet assassins at the back.....whacks you and then just moves on, gives it and takes it, no histrionics. Monty is performing well as well, I think....gives me a heart attack with every drag back inside our area but going forward he is a brilliant addition as he learns the craft of a LB....whether he'll ever make a fully fledged LB I don't know but he's giving it a good go!

PS Hope the family is all well, Bud?

Yup, about 40 minutes on the train and then 20 minutes walk. Never been before and thought the Lamex was the pits - pies nowhere near as good as Wrights! All well here, thanks. Hope it's the same in the Far East!

Archived