onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

2 hours ago, dantheman said:

Watched it in telly so never the same as watching live. We were poor today. Difficult place to go for us and was never going to be a footballing spectacle. Can’t agree that we ground it out today though. For me we got lucky. Their lads had a decent game and then goes and makes one of his only mistakes in his own box. Still, more than happy to be the benefactors. Conlon is not the answer sadly, I really wanted him to come good as thought there may have been a player in there but maybe the injuries have taken their toll. Severely lacked any energy from midfield today. If we can’t keep Taylor we need to find someone with high stamina and energy to compliment Joyce else the second half of the season could be a bit of a slog given our midfield frailties. Either way will have been a great season. UTV

I disagree that we were lucky. its a common theme on here if we don’t play too well and get a positive result It’s seen as something we didn’t deserve and the players don’t get the credit they should. I thought we worked hard for the 3 points and we did everything we could to grind it out. All epitomised by the determination of Conlon to win that penalty, because their right back was the weak link and we played on him all game, he was rubbish. Monty and Worrall had a lot of joy first half especially in terms of chances and we found ourselves in some good positions around him. The majority of our best work was down that side, even second half we were getting in behind him for fun without being as effective until the end with the peno. I think you’re being too harsh on Conlon though as I thought he had a good game and helped to win it for us ironically with his energy and determination. It wasn’t a game to be easy on the eye and we’ve played much better this season and lost games. 

Advert

10 minutes ago, SFBT said:

I'm not sure what you are getting at here.

Can you explain?

I didn't quote the person, they were suggesting that Stevenage weren't a terrible side and were well organised . 

I have to disagree from the word go they were there for the taking , they offered endeavor and commitment, little else.

I'd of been bitterly disappointed with a draw. 

6 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I didn't quote the person, they were suggesting that Stevenage weren't a terrible side and were well organised . 

I have to disagree from the word go they were there for the taking , they offered endeavor and commitment, little else.

They still deserve some respect for how difficult they make it. Have you ever played (at any level) against a team like that?  It’s difficult to get it down and play when the opposition are a total long ball team and you get drawn into a scrap. All you end up doing is constantly heading it away and fighting for second and third balls. It’s hard to get a rhythm going.  But it seems some fans seem to concentrate on what might of happened instead of what actually did happen..... so let’s not lose sight of the fact  that we didn’t draw, we came through it and won. We’ve played much better this season and lost games. 

9 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

They still deserve some respect for how difficult they make it. Have you ever played (at any level) against a team like that?  It’s difficult to get it down and play when the opposition are a total long ball team and you get drawn into a scrap. All you end up doing is constantly heading it away and fighting for second and third balls. It’s hard to get a rhythm going.  But it seems some fans seem to concentrate on what might of happened instead of what actually did happen..... so let’s not lose sight of the fact  that we didn’t draw, we came through it and won. We’ve played much better this season and lost games. 

And it's finding a way to win these ugly, uninspiring, bread and butter games that will determine our season.

The Swindon's, FGRs and Plymouth's are the icing on the cake.

34 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I agree, they were woeful. Our failure to create very many clearcut chances from open play, particularly as the game wore on, is a bit of a concern. 

10 hours ago, toyahw said:

I don't think so. I think most are realistic. I hate this "poor sides" "there for the taking" stuff. It's tight we have no devine right to be putting the likes of Morecambe to the sword. On it, we can beat anyone.  Off it we can lose against anyone.

I think that most have realistic expectations. I'm more interested in us securing the spine of our team than gambling on the play-offs. If we can stay in with a sniff, that is great. But throwing money around in Jan is not a good plan for me.

Let us consolidate our progress, on and off the pitch. UTV

Don't think I ever suggested we had  'devine' right to beat the likes of Morecambe; just that, considering we are 10th with 38 points and they're 23rd with 19 points, the chances are we will. Betting people will bet on us. Really weird reading of what I said. Suggesting a side just outside the playoffs should be beating a side who would be going down if Bury hadn't liquidated isn't arrogance, just common sense.

Unfortunately the reason why we aren't scoring more is really quite simply down to the Manager's unwillingness to play with just one striker. Popey does all that he can but what chance has he got of scoring many when he has no support to knock the ball down to or take a little of the weight off his shoulders.

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

Agreed its 3 points in the bag , mission accomplished. However think you also have to reflect on your performance against a team at the bottom of our league who are there for one reason only they are one of the worst sides in this league. Particularly so if you have aspirations of getting promoted , away at Stevenage has to be regarded as place to go and get 3 points. So we scraped a win and that's good enough isn't it ?  Yes but to get promoted you also have to put teams in the top 7 to the sword and the same performance would not have done that. If you are old enough you will have seen good Vale teams from the past  who have been promoted, this side does not look like one of them yet.

This game we would have lost under recent managers and Askey is moving us forward, we look what we are a decent mid table side. After the last few years that's good progress, still think Askey needs a Summer transfer period to make us something better. Success before has been built on a reasonable season followed by retaining the spine of the team with the addition of  3 or 4 really good signings.

4 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

Agreed its 3 points in the bag , mission accomplished. However think you also have to reflect on your performance against a team at the bottom of our league who are there for one reason only they are one of the worst sides in this league. Particularly so if you have aspirations of getting promoted , away at Stevenage has to be regarded as place to go and get 3 points. So we scraped a win and that's good enough isn't it ?  Yes but to get promoted you also have to put teams in the top 7 to the sword and the same performance would not have done that. If you are old enough you will have seen good Vale teams from the past  who have been promoted, this side does not look like one of them yet.

This game we would have lost under recent managers and Askey is moving us forward, we look what we are a decent mid table side. After the last few years that's good progress, still think Askey needs a Summer transfer period to make us something better. Success before has been built on a reasonable season followed by retaining the spine of the team with the addition of  3 or 4 really good signings.

Before yesterday Stevenage had lost one game in their last nine homes.  Lots of other teams in our league have failed to win or even score there so I don't think we should be upset that we managed to do so.

9 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

All true. The point I was trying to make is that we’ve gone to play a difficult team, not played too well ourselves and come away with a win. I agree we’re not yet a promotion chasing side, that’ll take a bit more time and building. With that in mind we’re not going to play well every week and we don’t have a divine right to be winning every game either, purely because of where we are which is right at the beginning of a manager trying to build something. So to not play well and win isn’t a bad thing, we’ve definitely played better and come away with less. 

3 hours ago, ClntonBoulton said:

Oh come on ....cut him some slack. He's unaware of anything happening North of Watford Gap!! Salford?? On a Tuesday?? Just dunner happen in his world.....😂😂 (He is a complete toss-pot!)

Mentioned on here before but this is a man who makes his kids and his players call him “Medal winner”

To save people googling those medals are none league promotions into the conference! 😂

19 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Mentioned on here before but this is a man who makes his kids and his players call him “Medal winner”

To save people googling those medals are none league promotions into the conference! 😂

On his Twitter page Westley describes himself as "Manager, life coach and role model".  He's only a role model if you want to be a complete idiot.

Whilst I too think we are a mid table outfit, I'm mindful of Askey's achievement in getting Macc promoted.

They had momentum and got stronger as the season progressed.

Although anything can happen, this may happen for Vale this season.

I think we are not mid table. We are a top 10 side. The gap between us and the rest below is quite large now. 10th is our minimum aim now surely? 

A playoff push has to be the target. I mean we are only 6 points off an automatic place! 

Naturally it won’t be a disaster if it does not happen but it has to be hoped for. 

Archived