onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

I am not a Conlon fan but I thought he had possibly his best game for us.Apart from Brown and the back four I thought Conlon was the best of the rest with Worrall just behind him.

Like one or two others I was expecting the worst as the game wore on, so was ecstatic when their defender pulled Conlon down to give us the penalty which enabled us to come home with three very valuable points.

i don't subscribe to the "we are not ready to go up this season" brigade and I hope that we can make a couple of signings and at least make the play offs.

3 minutes ago, rayzer said:

I am not a Conlon fan but I thought he had possibly his best game for us.Apart from Brown and the back four I thought Conlon was the best of the rest with Worrall just behind him.

Like one or two others I was expecting the worst as the game wore on, so was ecstatic when their defender pulled Conlon down to give us the penalty which enabled us to come home with three very valuable points.

i don't subscribe to the "we are not ready to go up this season" brigade and I hope that we can make a couple of signings and at least make the play offs.

We should snatch promotion when ever the opportunity arrives. No such thing as not ready. We can go up and survive. 

3 minutes ago, rayzer said:

Readiness for promotion has to be judged by the results against the top 8 who will usually have the better players, better football and organisation. They will be closer to the standard of the bottom 1/3 of L1 where some of the top 8  will be playing next season. Clubs that have spent money on a promotion push will be under pressure, whereas for us it would be a unexpected bonus with less pressure.  The pressure would come next season, recruiting  better players but also better able to retain players.

I couldn't care less how we played today......The papers will say we won 1 nil tomorrow and thats good enough for me,remember the last few seasons where we couldn't buy a win,how many teams turned us over in that period when we thought we deserved a point,Askey is doing a good job in fact I'd say he is doing a bloody good job,those who say he doesn't use his substitutes correctly are barking up the wrong tree,when the subs have appeared they have hardly covered themselves in glory and made it difficult to be left out just look at the performances at Salford.

We will lose games before the end of the season and when we do just think back to Aspins and Browns teams that should clear your head.

45 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Win against two poor sides and there will be fan expectations/clamour for signings to push us into the playoffs, which is a gamble.

I don't think so. I think most are realistic. I hate this "poor sides" "there for the taking" stuff. It's tight we have no devine right to be putting the likes of Morecambe to the sword. On it, we can beat anyone.  Off it we can lose against anyone.

I think that most have realistic expectations. I'm more interested in us securing the spine of our team than gambling on the play-offs. If we can stay in with a sniff, that is great. But throwing money around in Jan is not a good plan for me.

Let us consolidate our progress, on and off the pitch. UTV

4 hours ago, toyahw said:

I don't think so. I think most are realistic. I hate this "poor sides" "there for the taking" stuff. It's tight we have no devine right to be putting the likes of Morecambe to the sword. On it, we can beat anyone.  Off it we can lose against anyone.

I think that most have realistic expectations. I'm more interested in us securing the spine of our team than gambling on the play-offs. If we can stay in with a sniff, that is great. But throwing money around in Jan is not a good plan for me.

Sensible post. I'd be delighted if we got promotion, made the play-offs or signed 3 quality players for this level. All 3 are possible rather than probable. What I do expect is positive progress to be made for the rest of the season and 3 or 4 quality additions in the summer.

People forget that clubs start talking to agents for summer transfers around about now to lay out the ground work. We didn't know the club would exist until well into the off season. We are also still operating on a lower midtable budget, although that will increase due to the cup runs. We are far from perfect but have moved forward a long way since this time last season. I'd be delighted with 10th considering everything that has happened. Anything better is celebration time. 

6 hours ago, toyahw said:

We have had extremely good results against those at the top of the table. The teams at the bottom are fighting for league survival and I think that has has an impact when we play them as they are upping their game. 

I think a few good signings possibly loan are what we need to strengthen and push on. The cash should be saved for the summer to either stay in League one or Push for promotion again in League Two again next season. But sensible and steady is the key.

Watched it in telly so never the same as watching live. We were poor today. Difficult place to go for us and was never going to be a footballing spectacle. Can’t agree that we ground it out today though. For me we got lucky. Their lads had a decent game and then goes and makes one of his only mistakes in his own box. Still, more than happy to be the benefactors. Conlon is not the answer sadly, I really wanted him to come good as thought there may have been a player in there but maybe the injuries have taken their toll. Severely lacked any energy from midfield today. If we can’t keep Taylor we need to find someone with high stamina and energy to compliment Joyce else the second half of the season could be a bit of a slog given our midfield frailties. Either way will have been a great season. UTV

11 hours ago, CambridgeDon said:

Just back and, after after a terrible, scrappy game, well satisfied with the three points, which to be honest, we simply didn't deserve. At half time, if it hadn't been for Brown - again - we would have been two down and facing a mountain to climb against one of the poorest sides I've seen for a long time. He must be the best keeper in this league. 

Second half was hardly any better with Gibbo diving to hoof one off the line with a magnificent clearance, and hardly any chances I can remember falling to Pope or any of our front three. As in the first half, we lacked any control, cohesion or flow in midfield, where we constantly gave the ball away or failed to find a player with the ball, either through underhit or overweight passes. This is the first time I've seen Burgess and Conlon together in midfield and I wasn't impressed; if it hadn't have been for Joyce, we would have, at times, been overrun. It would clearly be unfair to judge our midfield on one game but they were poor today. Right from pre-season, I've said that without Oyeleke midfield would be our weakness. I saw nothing today to change my mind. 

Askey has taken us a long way and he has a lot of work to do. At times, our positional play was very poor and then, even when we had the ball, the players didn't offer any options to their team mates, with predictable results as we constantly lost possession. It left me wondering whether I was seeing our usual standard of midfield play or whether we had been dragged down to their level. 

The fact that we are only six points off automatic promotion tells me two things: first, this is a very poor league with a very low standard of football; and second, while in normal circumstances I'd say we don't stand a chance of promotion, JA is right to set this as our aim. The sooner we are out of this bear pit, the better.

So, well done to JA and the lads for today's result. I'll take three points from this performance any day. But don't let it blind us to the distance we still have to travel. If we do make the play-offs, it would be touch and go if we could manage to get promotion; and if, by some miracle, we managed to do it, we would need a massive injection of funding to build a squad that would survive. We live in hope. 

UTV.

PS MOM for me was Montano: for a player who's still learning how to play left back, he was excellent.

Hey up yewth.....almost a home game for you that is int it? Obviously I've not seen them in the flesh living and working in Baku but I've watched every game on iFollow and I think you're being a bit harsh on Burgess. I think yesterday he was missing his mucker JT. He has grown and matured week by week and I've liked what I've seen. I think he is developing into a tidy midfielder. Conlon, I'm still not sure when you have Jake Taylor to compare him with. Having said that he worked his taters off to get that penalty yesterday....a lot would have given that up. 

The one that has always got me is the criticism Joycey got under Aspin when he was like a fish out of water, played in the wrong system. I remember being well impressed when we signed him because he had been part of that Carlisle team that came up the Vale last game of the season and toyed with us....almost playing 5 a side stuff in their own area before breaking....Keith Curle's last game I think? I thought Joycey was a great signing and we are now seeing it consistently.....he just does all the simple stuff and works his a$%e off, always available, not afraid to put his foot in and just keeps us going forward as he tidies up in front of the back 4. 

As a few have said, I'll take 3 points from there thank you very much even playing like that. Someone has also said we need to get Smiffy signed up PDQ......he is consistently performing well and the thing I like about him is he is one of those quiet assassins at the back.....whacks you and then just moves on, gives it and takes it, no histrionics. Monty is performing well as well, I think....gives me a heart attack with every drag back inside our area but going forward he is a brilliant addition as he learns the craft of a LB....whether he'll ever make a fully fledged LB I don't know but he's giving it a good go!

PS Hope the family is all well, Bud?

9 hours ago, Valiant62 said:

Just seen Westley’s interview, comedy gold, claims we had a clear week in the run up to this game while they had two games.

Oh come on ....cut him some slack. He's unaware of anything happening North of Watford Gap!! Salford?? On a Tuesday?? Just dunner happen in his world.....😂😂 (He is a complete toss-pot!)

This site is all about opinion. Nobody is right nobody is wrong but come on the league table doesn't lie 

Stevenage are a terrible side. There is no question of that. They are bound to be organised as they are fighting for their lives . 15 measly goals they have scored all season and won 2 games 

That to me suggests that they are crap , yesterday confirmed such 

10 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

This site is all about opinion. Nobody is right nobody is wrong but come on the league table doesn't lie 

Stevenage are a terrible side. There is no question of that. They are bound to be organised as they are fighting for their lives . 15 measly goals they have scored all season and won 2 games 

That to me suggests that they are crap , yesterday confirmed such 

I'm not sure what you are getting at here.

Can you explain?

Archived