onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Stevenage v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

Just now, LancyTony said:

Hahaha...stats are well-known for their versatility and flexibility. But, I don't think there's any doubt he's been a decent signing? 

Considering the skepticism pre-season, his age, and what will be pretty cheap wages, he's been an excellent signing. Doesn't give the ball away and hard working.

We need more signings like this from Askey and less of the likes of Cullen and Lloyd.

Of the 18 games he's played for Port Vale, Scott Burgess has only lost twice; Man City away, and Scunthorpe away. Its harsh to include City, so lets say against teams not funded by nation states, Burgess has 1 loss in 17.
An interesting, if probably pointless stat.
Played 17, won 9, drawn 7, lost 1, in all competitions (excluding City).
I think he's been our signing of the summer, taken to league football like a duck to water and compliments our midfield with his twin, while Joyce holds the Fort

If Gibbo had not made that cracking clearance, I could not see us scoring from free play to draw against them.  Thank goodness he cleared it and we got a penalty which Pope duly scored from.

Both teams huffed and puffed, but it is about time we took the 3 points for once from this sort of match.  Normally it is us loosing 1-0 in the last few minutes of the match.

Hopefully the team will get some confidence from this game and take another 3 points on tuesday.

Not a great match, but games against Westley never are. Stevenage won’t go down because he turns every match into a greasy pig mud wrestling contest. 

I heard mutterings in the crowd saying Worrall had gone off the boil. I don’t  believe that, I think today against Stevenage he struggles against their physical players. He did well to win the pen. 

This was a poor match but a great win. Defensively we were great, with Legge, Smith etc being excellent. Again some moans about us passing around in our own box, but we always looked secure. 

The lack of Askey subs was mentioned but I don’t think it mattered in the end as we got the win. 

A final note. Our away following was really loud and heard on RS it was about 300? No way. That stand was well over half full. I’d say we had about 500 in there. It was incredible support given the distance. The Man City factor certainly swelling the numbers. 

The big thing Conlon adds is he does win the ball back better further up the field better than any of our other midfield players. At times he plays the safe option, although that is a criticism of all the midfield except Oyeleke. He's also not got Taylor's knack of making runs into the box. 

We are unlikely to make the playoffs with or without new signings. We have decent players for this league but we need a couple of game changers to make the next level. Those players are unlikely to be available in January. The teams above us tend to have one or two standout players who do make that bit of a difference. Having watched the Salford game back on iplayer we also don't have a lot of leadership on the pitch outside Gibbons, Smith, Pope Worrall and Legge. A lot of the players who didn't perform on Tuesday are ok when they have players around them motivating them. For next season we could do with one or two more who can drive others on.

JRC - this has been brought up by JA and Co numerous times.  The side is a very quiet side and leadership is not always there.  

Agree we need to get a couple of positions sorted out and we will be pushing for a play off slot.  At the moment we will just miss it with these players we have. 

There will be teams out there trying to find those game changing players, so hopefully we are now an attractive team to come to with our new owners, players talking to each other about the way Vale seem to look after players now.  The jan window is always interesting to see which players we are being linked with and who are leaving the club on loans or released.

Least we could spend money and buy a player not like another local club, as they went for the boom and it burst 🤣

29 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Not a great match, but games against Westley never are. Stevenage won’t go down because he turns every match into a greasy pig mud wrestling contest. 

I heard mutterings in the crowd saying Worrall had gone off the boil. I don’t  believe that, I think today against Stevenage he struggles against their physical players. He did well to win the pen. 

This was a poor match but a great win. Defensively we were great, with Legge, Smith etc being excellent. Again some moans about us passing around in our own box, but we always looked secure. 

The lack of Askey subs was mentioned but I don’t think it mattered in the end as we got the win. 

A final note. Our away following was really loud and heard on RS it was about 300? No way. That stand was well over half full. I’d say we had about 500 in there. It was incredible support given the distance. The Man City factor certainly swelling the numbers. 

Looked like 250-300 to me, and although Worrall is still an excellent player, I do feel there's been a slight decline since the news of his ongoing hip issue was announced.

Don't get me wrong; he's still up there for player of the season and still contributes loads, but isn't quite as all-action and creative as he was in October/November, in my view.

2 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Looked like 250-300 to me, and although Worrall is still an excellent player, I do feel there's been a slight decline since the news of his ongoing hip issue was announced.

Don't get me wrong; he's still up there for player of the season and still contributes loads, but isn't quite as all-action and creative as he was in October/November, in my view.

I’d agree with Oct/Nov peak, certainly he isn’t hitting those heights but yes, not in a slump either. 

The crowd seemed bigger than my previous visits. Three coaches this time at least and the stand is meant to hold 1,400, yet we had a healthy number throughout most of the stand except the last quarter, which had our flags. 

43 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

Conlon won the penalty, not Worrall 

Scrappy game - looked 0-0 all the way through

We started ok then got dragged into a poor quality scrap

Thought defence did ok and midfield were steady

Pope struggled to hold the ball against physical defenders but never looked like missing the penalty

Worrall was a good outlet but on the other side Amoo never got into the game. He doesn’t seem to offer himself to receive the ball meaning we end up just playing down one side of the field

Played well early on and thought only a matter of time and we will score but then it got into a real battle.

That’s Stevenage and what they do so won’t be too critical that it wasn’t pleasing on the eye and I’m more pleased that for once we managed to find a way to get the win against them and their style of play.

Smith was superb as was Leggey and Gibbons. Conlon had a decent game.

We’ve played better and not won so to get a result was good and hopefully we can keep the run going and beat Morecambe.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Considering the skepticism pre-season, his age, and what will be pretty cheap wages, he's been an excellent signing. Doesn't give the ball away and hard working.

We need more signings like this from Askey and less of the likes of Cullen and Lloyd.

Can't recall this lad ever really letting us down. Putting Taylor out of my thoughts because he clearly has no likely future at The Vale beyond April, Burgess,if given the right support and encouragement,  wouldn't be too far behind him, given how they've both developed together. He's a young man doing everything he can to be worthy of keeping his starting place, so good on him. 

Archived