onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Depth in the squad.

Playa Amodores

Advert

I'm a big Askey fan but its indisputable that his recruitment must be better than it was last summer.

Hopefully the new scouting team, and in my wildest dreams a slight engagement with stastical analysis to find the hidden gems, can bear some juicy fruit.

This sums up my feelings perfectly. No doubt that Askey is a fantastic coach for this level, but most of his signings have been below par.

If that's not his strength then that's fine by me, he can't be good at everything and he's certainly a good enough coach/man manager to get a tune out of players. But we need some help if we are going to be spending our cup/Robbie money in the summer.

It's clear that without Taylor or Oyeleke in the side we have little midfield energy and in my opinion this is the reason for recent bad performances - we sit too deep without someone driving midfield, and our defence isn't so reliable under pressure, especially from sides that have something to play for.

We're not alone in this, and you only have to see Vale's results against sides higher in the table for proof. If we want to join them though the midfield conundrum has to be solved.

Amoo,Taylor &Burgess have all been good signings... the rest nothing but squad players but we all knew that in the summer. Only exception is Cullen who has been disappointing. His movement in the box is very good but his all-round game just does not fit in with our system, plus he always looks really heavy legged. I'm not sure if he is still match fit but its chicken and egg.. never going to get fit sat on the subs bench each week.

Every manager as hit and miss with signings... all of them can't be a huge success. Even JR and MA got signings wrong.

We really need to try and move on some of our fringe players to bring in 2 or 3 who will improve the first 11. Forget the summer we need to keep evolving and try to kick on again in this transfer window.

Our problem is other than Browne who do we have with potential to come off the bench and change a game not going our way?

Please also don't forget where we have come from in the summer... we are now looking a lot more attractive club than we have over the past 3-4 years. A manager with a tactical plan and owners with a progress plan. I'm also sure other clubs will have taken notice of the improvement we have made to Taylor . This should put us in a better position finding players to loan from Champ clubs.

In Askey we trust.

We are at least 4 quality players short of what we need in order to compete at top end of the table. We have a decent starting 11 when everyone is fit but it only takes a few injuries or suspensions and then we are struggling with the players that we have waiting in reserve. Some have been given plenty of opportunities and for whatever reason they haven’t stepped up to the plate when required. A big summer ahead in terms of player recruitment if we want to compete at the top end next season. 

Archived